Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 435 of 450 FirstFirst ... 335385425431432433434435436437438439445 ... LastLast
Results 4,341 to 4,350 of 4495

Thread: Travellers disgrace their community again

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Watcher1 View Post
    They disgrace thier community??? Their whole community IS a disgrace. People try to make out that the Travellors are victims of social exclusion and racism. Although I fail to see any racism since they are supposed to be Irish so Irish people being prejudiced to travellers cant actually by racism. Then again, prejudism is not as headline grabbing is it.

It is rare to see a traveller as a decent human being. I've encountered a few in my time and none of them really enamoured me to their "way of life" or them as a human being. They constantly try to get the rest of us to accomodate them and their ways, however, they are the ones who should try to assimilate into our society instead of keeping themselves on the fringes all the time. If there are factions of the travelloer community worthy of what they strive for, then they should sort the rest of their own community out. Oh no of course, they couldn't possible dream of doing that, could they?

Your second sentence denies you any voice on the subject. You'll still rant on,

but it won't make any difference to those who know otherwise.
    Last edited by Dorris; 8th November 2018 at 07:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Herr Rommel View Post
    Their lives of crime..

Donegal TV - Sean McEniff's 80th Birthday Tribute

Fianna Fail Cllr Sean McEniff -Ballyshannon house burnt after his remarks of Incitement to Hatred

''wasnt it Sean mceniff the bloke who rang the police in 1977 during the mary Boyle investigation and was it him who told the police to back of the main suspect in the rape and murder of the child''

Quote Originally Posted by Lagertha View Post
    People had enough, a few local lads who shoot, knocked the door and showed them a shotgun and told them to leave.
    I've said it time and time again, culturally there are huge similarities between black people and Travelers.
    You need to calm down and read my post again. Elected representatives?
    I had a post removed for asking Herr Rommel a question, so I'll leave you to ponder what you said in the posts above.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Disillusioned democrat View Post
    One of the problems with getting ethnic status is that you get reported separately - hence the 25 x statistic, which I'm glad to say no one is disputing.

Of course there's a

Criminality isn't the preserve of the travelers - no one is saying that, but without specific stats by post code it's impossible to draw any comparisons, but criminality is a spectrum and travelers do seem to be at the "most criminal" end being 2500% more likely to wind up in prison at any point in time.
    Again your post is bereft of any sort of analysis or thought, just lazy stats. There maybe an absence of stats (there have been studies and I'll try to locate them) but are you seriously suggesting that there could be similar levels of people in Mountjoy with addresses in Dublin 1 as Dublin 4?
    Politics.ie - from 'Ireland's leading politics and current affairs website' to predominantly an echo chamber of bigots, islamophobes and racists....

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Broadcaster Pat Kenny and his wife, Kathy, are opposing plans for three apartment blocks and seven houses
    on a site next to their Dalkey home.

The same guy who railed against bigotry towards Travellers by Casey.

Just as well it's not a Traveller camp or accomodation!!!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Telstar 62 View Post
    Broadcaster Pat Kenny and his wife, Kathy, are opposing plans for three apartment blocks and seven houses
    on a site next to their Dalkey home.

The same guy who railed against bigotry towards Travellers by Casey.

Just as well it's not a Traveller camp or accomodation!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Disillusioned democrat View Post
    Travellers are 25 times more likely to serve prison time than the national average.

25 times.

It's hardly outrageous to draw the conclusion that criminality is a very significant influence in their culture.
    Black people in the US are 5 times more likely to serve prison time than white people,

Are you drawing the same conclusion there?
    There is no Keyser Soze

Politics.ie Member Disillusioned democrat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by paulp View Post
    Black people in the US are 5 times more likely to serve prison time than white people,

There's a BIG difference between 5 times and 25 times...an ethnic minority being 25 times more likely to be a convicted criminal than the rest of the population certainly paints a picture of underlying criminality in that ethnic minorities "culture".

I have very limited experience of African Americans in the US - despite living their for 4 years - because by and large they haven't integrated homogenously across the states. Despite being 13% of the overall population there are some states in the 48 where the African American population is as low as 1%.

Where African Americans are in the same relative population as Travellers in Ireland (say Utah, New Hampshire, North and South Dakota, Idaho) I don't believe they are 25 times more likely to be convicted criminals and can't find any evidence that they are, so I don't think the same conclusions can be drawn.
    The more things change....

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hitchcock View Post
    Again your post is bereft of any sort of analysis or thought, just lazy stats. There maybe an absence of stats (there have been studies and I'll try to locate them) but are you seriously suggesting that there could be similar levels of people in Mountjoy with addresses in Dublin 1 as Dublin 4?
    I'm not sure what your aversion to the several posters providing statistics is driven by. In order to formulate evidence-based policy, the number one requirement is evidence. How else can you provide clear direction to various education, welfare, policing, health and other services to cater for travellers without having robust data to work from?

Nobody has suggested that there is an inherent level of criminality in D1 residents vs D4 residents - you seem to be drawing that conclusion from a wilful misreading of how they are presenting the statistics. If you want to call high crime rates and low levels of educational attainment "culture", then why not, perhaps some D1 residents have such a "culture". As do travellers. It is irrelevant what you want to call the situation, but they are problems that need to be addressed.

Government and voluntary services have spent vast quantities of time and money on this section of the community over many years - possibly to the detriment of more worthy causes. Taxpayers deserve something in return.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by paulp View Post

When you consider the number of black death row inmates who were freed due to DNA shows that they faced a biased racist 'justice system'.

Politics.ie Member Disillusioned democrat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Levellers View Post
    When you consider the number of black death row inmates who were freed due to DNA shows that they faced a biased racist 'justice system'.
    Okay - take out the 5:1 ratio for the biased racist justice system and that still leaves a 20:1 ratio of traveller to average citizen.

Methinks that still suggests a criminal bent in the culture.

Even in the way they've always differentiated themselves from the "settled" community so that the culture is such that crime against the "settled" people is victimless because, sure, aren't the travelers the REAL victims?
    The more things change....