Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: wealthy provo elite abandon ex-pows

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default wealthy provo elite abandon ex-pows

“it's hard to see ex-prisoners destitute when the leadership are so wealthy and have holiday homes."

Hughes mentions Kieran Nugent, the first IRA man on the Blanket protest in Long Kesh. "Kieran died in 2000. They called him a 'river rat' because he spent his last days drinking by the river in Poleglass.

"Why didn't somebody in the movement not see he'd problems and help him? He was the bravest of the brave. The screws ordered him to wear the prison uniform and he replied, 'You'll have to nail it to my back.'"

Here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That's one of the saddest things I've read in a long time.

Tell you the truth though I don't want anything from anybody for anything I might ever do for Ireland.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

*Counts seconds till someone has a dig at Suzanne Breen*

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That's horrible to read.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

its a very good article, and certainly evokes sympathy. But it presumes the reader views paramilitary prisoners as POWs or political prisoners. But when you consider that some of these prisoners chose to go out and shoot people, or blow people apart, and anyone else who did that would get life imprisonment, but these guys get released to cheers and fanfare because their paramilitary group swore it would kill more people unless they were released, and they don't seem to regret having killed the people they killed, such an article, portraying them as hard done by, is a little harder to stomach.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Libero
    *Counts seconds till someone has a dig at Suzanne Breen*
    Suzanne Breen is a critic of the SF leadership,it's what she does(when she's not talking up the DUP leadership).That said nobody should be surprised that the conflict has taken its toll on those most directly involved and that can be expressed in financial, mental health and relationship problems.SF have limited resources to address that from their side and getting more isn't exactly politically popular.Ex prisoner support groups are doing what they can in that context...but suppose it's easier for Breen to talk about holiday homes in Donegal.

I think the headline of this thread and the agenda of the journalist who penned the story it refers to is not really the core issue here.

I think the core issue is that a number of former combatants have been unable to make sense of their life outside of combat and as civilians. The last days of Kieran Nugent is indeed a tragedy. If anyone described him as a "river rat", then that is profoundly regrettable and ignorant of the struggles and misfortune that some souls endure.

The reality of all wars or conflicts is that what was comradery at one point in time in the heat of battle or struggle can evaporate in normal circumstances. How many of us have grown apart from friends, even close friends as our lives progressed and our circumstances and outlooks change. This is a reality of life.

Most republican former combatants have been able to successfully adapt to civilian life and normal political campaigning. A small minority have not. However, their contribution to our struggle should never be diminished because of this. I regret that people like Brendan Hughes choose to cooperate with journalists like Suzanne Breen to attack the integrity of their former comrades.

I know many many former combatants, all of whom support the peace strategy. None of them are "wealthy elite". There are remarkably few of them that I could describe as materially wealthy. Particularly those in leadership positions.

The real story here is that tragically life leaves behind some people. People who were great at one stage.

Is republicanism unique. I don't think so.

Diego Maradona. Whitney Houston. etc

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cormac Donaghey
    the reality of all wars or conflicts is that what was comradery at one point in time in the heat of battle or struggle can evaporate in normal circumstances. How many of us have grown apart from friends, even close friends as our lives progressed and our circumstances and outlooks change. This is a reality of life.
    indeed, more Falkland Island veterans committed suicide in the twenty years after the war than were killed during it. There's a particular story about several Parachute Regiment vets who became drug addicts after the war, then to finance their habit, and to feed their PTSD and lust for adventure, started dealing as well as buying, only they went straight to the source, Scarface-style, and set up a network from Colombia. I don't know how exaggerated that story is, but I read a magazine article interviewing one of them, who said it was prison that got him back on the straight and narrow, as he needed the disciplined way of life.

I also read somewhere that while the Americans only lost 58,000 men in vietnam, 300,000 veterans have since committed suicide. That sounds hugely exaggerated, since it would amount to 10% of all Vietnam veterans, but I guess its possible

It’s sad, but alas they were “Volunteers”, not paid soldiers, anybody who joined the Army knew this.
    I find it hard to accept that criminality can be explained away as an acceptable symptom because of former involvement in the Army, and even harder to accept that Brendan Hughes would say so. I think this article is meant as a rebuttal to the Easter Statement by the IRA, I don’t accept its thesis.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Very sad article, Ive little or no time for the men politically, but its still sad to see what the men have been reduced to.

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast