Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 46 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Ivana Bacik to seek Labour Dublin Central nomination

Politics.ie Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Ivana Bacik to seek Labour Dublin Central nomination

Labour has announced that Senator Ivana Bacik will be seeking the nomination to run in Dublin Central in the by-election.

“After speaking with a number of colleagues from the Labour Party and the Dublin Central constituency recently I’ve decided to put my name forward for the nomination to contest the by-election for the Party.

Politics.ie Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Press release continues below...........

“These are critical times for the future of the country. Over the last number of weeks I’ve been canvassing with local Labour candidates in Dublin and the desire among voters for a real alternative to this clapped out, weary Government is remarkable. Labour has been to the fore in proposing a credible alternative way out of our current economic and social turmoil and our message has a real resonance with the public. In these times it is vital that Labour takes the lead so that values of community, decency and fair play have a central role in the leadership of the country and I hope I can play a role in that process.

“Perhaps more so than any other constituency Dublin Central has paid the price for the cronyism and incompetence of Fianna Fáil during the boom years. In the past decade the resources existed to once and for all tackle the scandal urban decay, entrenched poverty and illiteracy yet that opportunity was squandered. Opportunities to support families by creating a national pre-school system and to support young people by giving them the educational facilities they deserve were wasted. Perhaps, most importantly, Fianna Fáil never tackled the speculators and developers that grew rich, with the result that thousands of people now find themselves trapped in negative equity, and struggling to meet childcare and mortgage payments.

“Over the coming days I will be speaking to the members in Dublin Central to win their support at a convention and get cracking on taking the fight to the Government. I firmly believe that voters will send a clear message to the Government about the need for a change in leadership and that Labour, whoever the local members choose, can win this by election. I would be honoured to contest it for the Party.”

read it and weep mary lou !

Politics.ie Member FutureTaoiseach's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Joe Costello's wife is also considering a run, judging by his evading of questions on the matter on the Late Debate some nights ago. TRROC, I don't think MLM is running there this time. There is the question as to the legality of the dual-mandate.
    Last edited by FutureTaoiseach; 1st May 2009 at 04:04 PM.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So she won't sit in the Seanad as a Labour Senator, but she wants to sit in the Dáil as a Labour TD.

Interesting.

Politics.ie Member flavirostris's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Not a great move IMO, can't see her getting much of a vote.
    No roots in the constituency and probably seen as being representative of "Dublin 4" Labour. An obvious parachute candidate like Mary Lou in '07.
    Good news for Sen Paschal Donohoe

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Bacik is unelectable, but will take sufficient votes from Mary Lou to ensure Donohoe is elected.
    In return, I expect Alex White to romp home in Dublin South after facing a less than stellar FG rival.
    Please sign the petition to establish a national day of celebration in honour of the vision of the United Irishmen!
    United Irishmen Day Petition
    Skinflicks blog
    Rep abuse illustrated

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Perhaps if she puts up a decent show here then Labour will parachute her into a more favourable (middle class) constituency come the next GE?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mccafferty cat View Post
    So she won't sit in the Seanad as a Labour Senator, but she wants to sit in the Dáil as a Labour TD.

Interesting.
    Didn't Shane Ross once run for FG in Wicklow, while choosing to be an Independent in the Seanad?
    Economic Left/Right: -2.88 (down 3.63 since the financial crash)
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.18

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

She knows the days are numbered for the University of Dublin seats.

Norris and Ross would want to think about new careers too.

Page 1 of 46 1234511 ... LastLast