Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: History of University College Dublin (UCD)

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default History of University College Dublin (UCD)

Should be of interest to any current or former UCD students.

--

A new blog dedicated to collating the radical and social history of UCD.

Did you know that Charles Haughey, as a UCD student helped to instigate a riot by burning a Union Jack during Victory in Europe Day (VE Day) celebrations in 1945 in Dublinís City Centre?

.... in February 1969, 140 UCD students occupied the administrative wing, used a loud speaker system to address fellow students and distributed leaflets from the Ēliberated zone of UCD"?

... during Rag Week in 1969, UCD students "raided" RTE?

... Richview Lodge, where the School of Architecture is now based, used to be a Masonic Boysí School and various freemasony symbols can still be seen around the building today?

... students and the Gardai fought pitched battles up and down the concourse outside the Arts Block and restaurant in 1975 during a protest against the visit of the Taoiseach and US Ambassador?

... the establishment of the Pool Hall ĎThe Trapí and the building of a bus shelter at the No.10 terminus in Belfield only came about due to student direct action?

.... an eighteen year old was stabbed to death at Ireland's first punk festival held in UCD's canteen in 1977?

... in 1977 as part of Rag Week celebrations, over one hundred UCD students invaded Trinity College, the College of Surgeons and Kevin Street College causing £3,200 worth of damage?

--

Hidden History of UCD

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 1968 View Post
    Should be of interest to any current or former UCD students.

--

A new blog dedicated to collating the radical and social history of UCD.

Did you know that Charles Haughey, as a UCD student helped to instigate a riot by burning a Union Jack during Victory in Europe Day (VE Day) celebrations in 1945 in Dublinís City Centre?

To be correct did he not take the Flag that flew above Trinity and burn that

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 1968 View Post

.... an eighteen year old was stabbed to death at Ireland's first punk festival held in UCD's canteen in 1977?

God, I was there that night and remember it very clearly. Knife in the guts, the poor chap got, as I recall. Didn't realize it was punk festival: being the innocent lad I was, thought it was just a hooley.

Politics.ie Member H.R. Haldeman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

- 2009: A rollicking iron-stomach competition in the car park that unfortunately laid some of the rugby lads low after they had one too many bull's testicles, and also saw some nasty cases of sunburn amongst the, erm, dehydrated spectators.

i heard they positioned the lake on belfield to prevent very large congregations of students in front of central admin.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by New_Economic_Agenda View Post
    i heard they positioned the lake on belfield to prevent very large congregations of students in front of central admin.
    The story goes that that area was originally going to be a big square, but after the riots etc. in France, they build a Lake instead because students could congregate in a big square.

The main concern of the design of Belfield seems to be to stop riots, all the steps are probably the best example of that.

I've seen the blog before and it is very good, clearly written from a hard-left point of view but still very good. Pity UCD is no where near that interesting anymore and hasnít been for many years, at least not during my time, although I'm gone now.
    "Give us the future, we've had enough of YOUR past, Give us back our country, to live in, to grow in and to love..."

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

When they "rebranded", they missed a golden opportunity to re-name the university in honour of Cardinal Newman. "Newman College" has a nice ring to it.

Instead we have some monstrosity of a "logo" straight out of a graphics design studio, designed by someone who has no appreciation for the university whatsoever. In their attempt to be "modern" and "progressive", they've turned their backs on their heritage; a heritage that's intimately part of the life-blood of the entire organisation.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phinaeus View Post
    God, I was there that night and remember it very clearly. Knife in the guts, the poor chap got, as I recall. Didn't realize it was punk festival: being the innocent lad I was, thought it was just a hooley.
    Was that the guy who was thought by others to be asleep and it was only realised the next day that the 'sleeping guy' actually was dead? Or was that someone else?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What about the UCD bum saving a girl from being raped all those years ago. Now the University give him 4 free meals a day for that deed. Or is that just a myth?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Herodotus View Post
    What about the UCD bum saving a girl from being raped all those years ago. Now the University give him 4 free meals a day for that deed. Or is that just a myth?
    Well a homeless man does live in UCD and does get free meals there, si there is no doubt in that. I heard the same reason as you as to why, but I don't know if that's true or not.
    "Give us the future, we've had enough of YOUR past, Give us back our country, to live in, to grow in and to love..."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast