Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Albania to apply for EU membership.

Gadjodilo

Default Albania to apply for EU membership.

Yes, folks. That obscure little country in south eastern Europe that used to ban priests and required all visitors to take disinfectant baths at the border is going to apply for EU membership tomorrow.

Lest ye snicker, it has the support of France, Greece and various other EU members which is much more than Turkey can claim. Also, unlike Croatia, there is no outstanding territorial issue with an existing EU member holding things up.

More here:
    EUobserver / Albania to file EU membership application

Quote Originally Posted by Gadjodilo View Post
    Yes, folks. That obscure little country in south eastern Europe that used to ban priests and required all visitors to take disinfectant baths at the border is going to apply for EU membership tomorrow.

Lest ye snicker, it has the support of France, Greece and various other EU members which is much more than Turkey can claim. Also, unlike Croatia, there is no outstanding territorial issue with an existing EU member holding things up.

More here:
    EUobserver / Albania to file EU membership application
    Bless!!

Enver Hoxha is no doubt spinning in his grave - I wonder what the CPI-ML think of this (if they still exist)?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Shume mir.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It'll probably take another few years before anything concrete happens. Good luck to them anyway.

Would significantly reduce the illegal immigration that is going on within EU if they are in the tent.

Gadjodilo

Quote Originally Posted by dotski_w_ View Post
    Bless!!

Enver Hoxha is no doubt spinning in his grave - I wonder what the CPI-ML think of this (if they still exist)?
    I was there in 1993 for all of one day. The landscape was dotted with those concrete bunkers that the workers were supposed to man when the Yankee-Soviet-Yugofascist alliance finally invaded.

The place was dirt poor then. The people were very friendly though and surprisingly well informed.

I was there in 1993 for all of one day. The landscape was dotted with those concrete bunkers that the workers were supposed to man when the Yankee-Soviet-Yugofascist alliance finally invaded.

The place was dirt poor then. The people were very friendly though and surprisingly well informed.
    Friend visited there last summer and English spoken even in a tiny mountain village of 150 as they admitted something like 50% of the pop had worked, were working or were planning to return to UK to work.

He asked about their propensity for fueds and guide scared 5hitless but they said in village there were 5 people who never left family house as they would be killed within village or by other village and this was about normal for region. Some were 20 plus years old.

Gadjodilo

Quote Originally Posted by marmurr1916 View Post
    It'll probably take another few years before anything concrete happens. Good luck to them anyway.
    Obviously, they have a lot of catching up to do and there are still problems with elections and corruption. But it's already a member of NATO and would be a "safe" Muslim country (i.e. only a few million - unlike Turkey) to have on board.

The coastline is spectacular. Tourism will BOOM when they sort themselves out in that regard.

Also, contrary to what you'll read in some articles, it's not Europe's poorest country. Georgia and Moldova are poorer and places like Bosnia are only nominally wealthier.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Albanians are quite keen on their fueds particulary in the north. The fueds can even skip a generation or two as happened after in the 90's following the practical end of the fueds after the commies took power.

Lived there in late 90's - the people are amazing to guests but it was by far the most dangerous place I worked in a time that I was regulary posted to conflcit zones. Everyone is the town I worked in was armed and the local police were obliged to wear balaclavas when doing routine work.

Was there again last year and delighted to see massive improvements, the whole area is cleaned up, roads have been retarmaced and even in Prokletie, the mountainous area that fueds, and the Kanun is the real law, are endemic is quite enough for even hikers to visit.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Obviously, they have a lot of catching up to do and there are still problems with elections and corruption. But it's already a member of NATO and would be a "safe" Muslim country (i.e. only a few million - unlike Turkey) to have on board.
    I have no problem with Turkish membership of the EU. A society where female prostitution is legal can hardly be classed with the likes of Saudi Arabia, as some people like to attempt.

The coastline is spectacular. Tourism will BOOM when they sort themselves out in that regard.
    So I've heard. I saw an article in one of the Sunday papers saying that it's the latest hip destination for independent travellers (i.e. smelly backpackers).

Where they lead, mainstream tourism will eventually follow...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast