Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Councillor succeeds in getting his own land rezoned

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Councillor succeeds in getting his own land rezoned

A major row has erupted after a county councilor in Clifden, Galway, sought to have the council rezone his land for development, despite severe objections from the county manager.

With only weeks to go before he seeks re-election, Fianna Fail councillor Josie Conneely, who is a developer, has been criticised for attempting to have 12 acres of land around the Rock Glen Hotel in Clifden, which he owns, rezoned.

One of the main objectors to Mr Conneely's plan is the county coroner Ciaran McLoughlin, in what is being seen locally as a major clash between two of the area's leading figures.

The main issue is that Mr Conneely's hotel is on a very narrow minor road and any additional development along there would be "ridiculous and unworkable", according to an objectors' spokesman.

"The plan is totally unsuitable for the area. The road is so narrow cars can't pass each other and every time there is a burial at the nearby cemetery there is chaos. This can't work," the spokesman said.

read more
    Councillor succeeds in getting his own land rezoned - National News, Frontpage - Independent.ie

He is a FF councillor and developer so he is definatly going to hell, but apart from that how the hell does one get their land rezoned if the county manager objects to it strongly ?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You really couldn't make it up.

Please let the electorate punish him...

FF Coucillor / Developer.. how many of these are scattered around the country?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

the couinty manager merely recommends in a report what should be rezoned. The decision is made by the County Councillors. So every tom dick and gombeen parish pump donkey in Clifden gets a say often in contravention of the professional advice.

that's how most land is rezoned in this country

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by alonso View Post
    the couinty manager merely recommends in a report what should be rezoned. The decision is made by the County Councillors. So every tom dick and gombeen parish pump donkey in Clifden gets a say often in contravention of the professional advice.

that's how most land is rezoned in this country
    Can they go over the heads of an bord pleanala ?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The county manager Martina Moloney recently informed councillors that the proposed Local Area Plan (LAP) already provides for 100 acres of new residential land, which will provide for around 3,000 new Clifden residents. However, any additional developments are severely restricted under the national guidelines for planning.

Mr Conneely also attacked Dr McLoughlin and described him and the other objectors as "mere blow-ins". He also accused them of objecting in order to protect their own "cosy" interests.

He said residents had ensured his 2006 plans to build a leisure centre and 24 holiday homes failed, and that failure had cost him a lot of money.
    People like Conneelly should be punished severely by the electorate. There's actually no need for theManager to look to national guidelines in this case. It seems obvious, under any planning principle, that this is a nonsense,

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mmrebel View Post
    Can they go over the heads of an bord pleanala ?
    The Bord have no role in zoning whatsoever. It is a reserved function of the elected members - in itself not a bad thing. I just wish people like Conneelly never got elected.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This Conneely guy should get hammered at the polls, he must not think he is going to be returned so he pushes the planning through, it should be reversed.
    Presume the Stroke Fahey will be advising him in return for the fencing contract and clearing the stones from the 12 acres.
    Get these FF gombeen fuppers out for good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Its beyond a farce now with the FF party, usually I check out posts like the above, try to get a bit of independant verification, but why bother anymore?

FF party member involved in land/tax issue with a bit of a dodgy bent to it?

At this stage, who would believe any different?
    Let's all raise a glass of frog milk to the ancient festival of Fargaltide!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The OD View Post
    At this stage, who would believe any different?
    You made a salient point indeed how have FF got to to the stage where people see FF and they see corruption.
    The puzzling thing is that there is a big chunk of the population out there that would vote for Hiter if he was running for FF

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mmrebel View Post
    You made a salient point indeed how have FF got to to the stage where people see FF and they see corruption.
    The puzzling thing is that there is a big chunk of the population out there that would vote for Hiter if he was running for FF
    Agree - and I just don't understand it, at this stage it's akin to brain-washing. I was speaking to four very educated, politically-aware people the other night and only one of them was certain they wouldn't be voting FF. When I asked the others why their replies were, in my view, so stupid that it was kind of surreal. Reasons were:

1) The other parties might do more damage - when asked what could possibly become worse for the country, there was no answer.

2) Maybe stability is necessary right now for the international markets - when pointed out that an international credit rating agency had said, beyond its remit, that a change of govt was necessary to restore international confidence, again there was no answer.

3) FF aren't that bad, all politicians are corrupt. When pointed out that FF were far more corrupt than most other parties, on the evidence, there was no answer.

It seemed to me these people weren't actually thinking at all. It was freaky because they are all trained and well able to critically think about other topics, it was genuinely like brainwashing.
    I have opinions of my own - strong opinions - but I don't always agree with them. - George Bush

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast