Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jim Cusack ---What is his agenda?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Jim Cusack ---What is his agenda?

He is the Security Correspondent of the Sunday Independent...he's appalling, probably one of our worst journalists. I gather he has settled a number of libel cases also. I met him once, didn't think too much of him either. What's his background, politically speaking? Can anyone enlighten me?

Politics.ie Member FutureTaoiseach's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

One of our best journalists, notably for his willingness to expose asylum-scams in defiance of the PC-brigade who would rather hush it up. His story on the Pakistani marriage-scam a few months back being a particular example.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sunday Independent journalist under investigation by Italian magistrate
    From 2006:
    Roma 20 June 2006: Jim Cusack the Sunday Independent 'security' correspondent is under investigation for offences involving defamation in Italy and a violation of the Italian Penal Code.

The case was brought by Giovanni Di Stefano who formally requested the Italian State Prosecutor to indict Mr Cusack for an article that appeared on 18th June 2006. Under Italian Law if the matter is proved Cusack faces up to three years in jail with a similar penalty for the Managing Editor of the newspaper and the internet site hosting the Sunday Independent.

How was this resolved?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Garda Press Office disputes Sunday Independent report
    The Garda Press Office has issued a statement pointing out "inaccuracies" in a recent report in the Sunday Independent by journalist Jim Cusack. Under the headline, "Helpless gardai waited hours for armed units", Jim Cusack reported that "two unarmed gardaí who were threatened with a pistol in west Dublin had to wait for almost two hours before armed support arrived, so they could make arrests."

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What would be a really inventive form of press reform would be legilsation that the papers have to indicate the number of, and amount settled for, in their cases in a small panel on the front page. It would be like a health warning.

I'd reckon Cusack and Williams must be the most sued hacks in the country.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Is Cusack another ex-Stickie, like McDonald and Harris? He's a Northerner anyway...

Politics.ie Member merle haggard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

He is the only journalist in Ireland who resolutely maintains the fiction that the UVF carried out the Dublin Monaghan bombings , completely of their own volition and with absolutely no urging , prompting or assistace from anyone . The UVF contacted him personally to belatedly claim responsibility for the 1974 massacre in 1992 immediately after a Yorkshire television exposé entitled " The Hidden Hand" which clearly outlined British military intelligences involvment in the massacre . He resolutely maintains this fiction right up to the present day and simply blindly ignores the mountain of evidence which proves otherwise . Why he persists in doing this despite the hurt it plainly causes to the victims is something only he can explain .

He left himself completely exposed a few years back regarding the Willie Frazer debacle in OConnel street when he made outlandish claims in his paper and on the radio that he was in possession of what he termed " e- mail intercepts" which proved the Real IRA , Provos , INLA and CIRA had all conspired together to plan the ensuing riots . This led to an on air show down with Indymedia editor Chekov Feeney which saw Cusack melt down on air and start shouting aliens had planned it and agrily huffing that Mr Feeney was " only a wee boy". It was embarassing to listen to frankly , he completely went to pieces when repeatedly challenged by the interviwewer to back his claims up . Which he was unable to do and is still unable to do . Jim plainly does not like being chaleneged on actual evidence or facts . It seems he is a devotee of the Eoghan Harris school of journalism - a school of investigative journalism which openly announced factual journalism is journalistic masturbation , that the political message - anti republican and pro british in all circumstances - is all thats important and that the journalist should always strive to present the views of loyalist paramilitaries as the truth because these people always tell the truth . That is no exaggeration , thats precisely what Harris trained his devotees to do . And thats what Jim Cusack basically does . H has no credibility as a journalist at all in my opinion .
    If I can find that Newsradio interview online Ill post it up . It deserves to be heard again .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Seán Mac Stiofán View Post
    Sunday Independent journalist under investigation by Italian magistrate
    From 2006:
    Roma 20 June 2006: Jim Cusack the Sunday Independent 'security' correspondent is under investigation for offences involving defamation in Italy and a violation of the Italian Penal Code.

The case was brought by Giovanni Di Stefano who formally requested the Italian State Prosecutor to indict Mr Cusack for an article that appeared on 18th June 2006. Under Italian Law if the matter is proved Cusack faces up to three years in jail with a similar penalty for the Managing Editor of the newspaper and the internet site hosting the Sunday Independent.

How was this resolved?
    Ah, the same Mr. Di Stefano who was refused by the Chief Justice permission to represent a certain infamous criminal because he is not, in fact, a lawyer at all, in any normal understanding of the word.

Mr. Di Stefano is not a good example.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Seán Mac Stiofán View Post
    He is the Security Correspondent of the Sunday Independent...he's appalling, probably one of our worst journalists. I gather he has settled a number of libel cases also. I met him once, didn't think too much of him either. What's his background, politically speaking? Can anyone enlighten me?
    I take it you took offence at his christening of the majority of republican sympathisers as scobies?

Politics.ie Member merle haggard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

heres Margaret Unwin taking him to task in the Indo for his one man campaign to exonerate British military intelligence against the mountain of collusion evidence in the Dublin Monaghan case implicating them

No doubt collusion in 1974 bombings - Letters, Opinion - Independent.ie

and folks , please have a listen to this Cusack interview where he completely loses the plot on Newstalk 106 when asked for some actual evidence to back up his claims . The teddy bears and aliens from Mars outburst is my favourite bit

Carcrash radio

http://radio.indymedia.org/uploads/dublin_riot_newstalk_106_march_1_06.mp3

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast