Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dublin: Quack kills man by trying to treat peanut allergy with peanuts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Dublin: Quack kills man by trying to treat peanut allergy with peanuts

In Ireland modern medics are pretty good, they're very fond of evidence and frequently save lives.

Here we've a story of a quack giving peanuts to someone with a peanut allergy ... the dude with the peanut allergy died of .... well peanut allergy

Irish Independent - Man died an hour after being treated for peanut allergy
    He had earlier been treated for the peanut allergy by kinesiologist Dr Brett Stevens, who told the inquest that Mr Schatten ate a small bit of peanut during his appointment, to which he had no reaction.

The allergy elimination technique used by Dr Stevens, who is also a chiropractor, is called NAET and involves "muscle testing".
    Professor of histopathology at the Royal College of Surgeons and at Beaumont Hospital, Mary Leader, told the inquest that in (allopathic) medicine such desensitisation would not be carried out without strict supervision in a hospital where drugs, IV access, oxygen and a doctor were immediately available and she said no person should be tested for nut allergy without these. "If a patient has an acute anaphylactic reaction like this they are immediately treated with drugs to stop the reaction," she said.
    Now if people want to take advice from quacks, they should be free to, though I'd question it going any further than advice. Also if we can have health warnings on cigarettes can we also have them on quackpots ?

"Warning there is no evidence that any of these treatments are of benefit & they may very well seriously harm or kill you"

Also note that I would distinguish alternative from complementary therapies - "alternative" sets itself up in opposition to modern medicine ; complementary works alongside as an extra (e.g. reflexology) . This was a case of "alternative" medicine.

cYp
    "Yawn , am I alive yet ?"

Politics.ie Newbie OMahonyMunster's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cyberianpan View Post
    In Ireland modern medics are pretty good, they're very fond of evidence and frequently save lives.

Here we've a story of a quack giving peanuts to someone with a peanut allergy ... the dude with the peanut allergy died of .... well peanut allergy

Now if people want to take advice from quacks, they should be free to, though I'd question it going any further than advice. Also if we can have health warnings on cigarettes can we also have them on quackpots ?

"Warning there is no evidence that any of these treatments are of benefit & they may very well seriously harm or kill you"

Also note that I would distinguish alternative from complementary therapies - "alternative" sets itself up in opposition to modern medicine ; complementary works alongside as an extra (e.g. reflexology) . This was a case of "alternative" medicine.

cYp
    This is a strange story, firstly the amount of peanut introduced should have been microscopic and not eaten, I would have thought.

secondly the patient should have had their own epipen/anapen and should have injected adrenaline at first onset of symptoms.

Sounds to me like there were other factors at work here.

I was offered a similar treatment for a severe allergy years ago and turned it down because it would have involved weekly visits for 1 year fortnightly for a further 3 years and the risk of anaphylatic shock at every visit

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

cYp
    The poor man. May he rest in peace.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

cYp
    The only officially regulated health care providers in ireland are medical doctors. If your practitoner, therapist, counsellor, etc., is not a medical doctor there are no mandatory regulatory bodies.

Feel free to make a choice as a to what type of care you want but be under no illusions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Ben Goldacre Bad Science column in the Guardian is well worth a read in relation to this type of charlatinism.
    Its only a chat, we ain't the world council.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Did the man not contribute to his own death by being stupid enough to go along with it? Peanut allergies are often extremely dangerous, why would you eat a peanut to cure it?

May he rest in peace, and may our Governmnet pull their heads out of their asses and remove these charlatans from society.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Why would a kinesiologist be treating allergies? According to Wikipedia, "Kinesiology, also known as human kinetics, is the science of human movement."

Did the report get mixed up, and the guy is actually an "Applied kinesiology" (Applied kinesiology - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia), which is " a practice within the realm of alternative medicine and is different from "kinesiology," which is the scientific study of human movement. AK has been criticized on theoretical and empirical grounds,[7] and characterized as pseudoscience" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Applied_kinesiology)?
    P.
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better."

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

My daughter who has a kiwi allergy was also invited to bring some kiwi along to an appointment with a very eminent consultant in the area. It seems to be a form of treatment that is gaining respect, though maybe ill-founded

Politics.ie Member merle haggard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

this makes as much sense as claiming you can make someone bullet proof by shooting them repeatedly once a week

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by islands View Post
    My daughter who has a kiwi allergy was also invited to bring some kiwi along to an appointment with a very eminent consultant in the area. It seems to be a form of treatment that is gaining respect, though maybe ill-founded
    It is a good form of treatment but as Prof Leader says in above quote:

Professor of histopathology at the Royal College of Surgeons and at Beaumont Hospital, Mary Leader, told the inquest that in (allopathic) medicine such desensitisation would not be carried out without strict supervision in a hospital where drugs, IV access, oxygen and a doctor were immediately available and she said no person should be tested for nut allergy without these. "If a patient has an acute anaphylactic reaction like this they are immediately treated with drugs to stop the reaction," she said.
    I.e. : it is not a job for a quackpot/nutjob.

cYp
    "Yawn , am I alive yet ?"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast