Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Plans for second runway at Dublin Airport scrapped

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Plans for second runway at Dublin Airport scrapped

Plans for second runway at Dublin Airport scrapped

No surprise. But my read of it is this leaves us with a new Terminal that we don't really need but without a longer runway that could actually have done us some good.

As Beckett would say, nothing to be done.
    However, banks know they have a duty of care to their clients and I'm sure that this should prevent them lending irresponsibly.

George Lee 2 June 2006

Ziggy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think we do need the second terminal, even with the declines, the old terminal is operating well beyond its design capacity. The real question was about the runway, other airports with single runways were operating much higher flight volumes (I think Stansted was the oft-given example).

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If the second runway isn't to go ahead, extending the existing one must be a massive national priority. It wasn't going to be done because the new one would be long enough. Given the range restrictions it imposes, it seriously hampers our abilities to compete internationally.
    Economic Left/Right: -2.88 (down 3.63 since the financial crash)
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.18

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I imagine it's just being postponed, rather than scrapped completely. The comparisons with Stansted are not really valid either (though I think it's getting a second runway as well).

I don't get the point of extending the existing one. What benefit would that bring?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well, weather its by extending the existing runway or building a new runway......they certainly need a longer one if they are ever to attract any routes to the Far East. And, thats where alot of trade will be based in the future.

Of course, Dublin would probably would have had a 3000m plus runway if it wasn't for Shannon, Dev and the good old DAA. All of whom are FF!

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by orbit View Post
    I imagine it's just being postponed, rather than scrapped completely. The comparisons with Stansted are not really valid either (though I think it's getting a second runway as well).

I don't get the point of extending the existing one. What benefit would that bring?
    The current runway is too short. That's the issue. It's runway length, not runway capacity.

With the current runway, a flight cannot take-off to a destination as far away as Hong Kong or Singapore without severe payload restrictions. Unless of course they stop at Shannon first.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by locke View Post
    If the second runway isn't to go ahead, extending the existing one must be a massive national priority.
    That sounds reasonable, in principle.
    However, banks know they have a duty of care to their clients and I'm sure that this should prevent them lending irresponsibly.

George Lee 2 June 2006

Ziggy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Dublin does need a new terminal.

I have never seen an Airport check in Terminal so dis organised and cramped with people in my life. In the summer that Airport is a nightmare.

The new Terminal does like pretty impressive but i know Aer Lingus are planning to increase there long haul services next year, the are bringing back the Los Angeles route and Dubai (I think) so the extra room will needed.

As for the runway- I dont see why they are scrapping it, with growing passenger numbers i would think its only a matter of time before a new runway is needed.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's worth adding that this is a terrible reflection of the ludicrous Irish approach to planning. The excuse given is that the market doesn't warrant the extended runway right now, ignoring the fact that it will take several years to complete. So then when traffic picks up, we'll be lacking an adequate runway and airlines will take their business elsewhere. Then we'll finally start building the runway 6 years too late.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dmc444 View Post
    Dublin does need a new terminal.

I have never seen an Airport check in Terminal so dis organised and cramped with people in my life. In the summer that Airport is a nightmare.
    If memory serves, questions have been raised as to whether the new Terminal (which certainly would be more comfortable than the existing one) would cost less to mothball than to run.

I've used the old terminal a lot in recent years. I agree it ain't pretty. But I've always found you can get through it reasonably quickly. Comfort would be great, but I just don't think its the priority facing us. How they managed to get 23 million passengers through such a tiny building is a bit of a marvel. But they did, and it looks like it will be a while before they see 23 million passengers again. And that's assuming environmental concerns don't lead to low fares airlines being put out of business.
    The new Terminal does like pretty impressive but i know Aer Lingus are planning to increase there long haul services next year, the are bringing back the Los Angeles route and Dubai (I think) so the extra room will needed.
    Can we be confident these plans are still relevant?
    As for the runway- I dont see why they are scrapping it, with growing passenger numbers i would think its only a matter of time before a new runway is needed.
    The issue seems to be that passenger numbers are actually declining (there's mention of this in the story I linked in the opening post.)
    Quote Originally Posted by BaudrillardNeverExisted View Post
    It's worth adding that this is a terrible reflection of the ludicrous Irish approach to planning. The excuse given is that the market doesn't warrant the extended runway right now, ignoring the fact that it will take several years to complete. So then when traffic picks up, we'll be lacking an adequate runway and airlines will take their business elsewhere. Then we'll finally start building the runway 6 years too late.
    +1

That's not to say that the money is there for this - I'm assuming the DAA's assessment of where it stands commercially right now is accurate. But that means the money that could have been there has been spent elsewhere.

George Lee 2 June 2006

Ziggy

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast