Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 80

Thread: Declan Ganley's phoney legal threats

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    137
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Declan Ganley's phoney legal threats

    I've written on several other threads about the bully-boy tactics of Declan Ganley (and his various paid monkeys) whereby his solicitors seem to have a 24-hour printing press producing legal writs which Ganley is instructing them to issue against his more vocal critics. The only remarkable thing about these threats is that Ganley has not had the balls to follow through on a single one of them. NOT ONE.

    I am loathe to refer to the lamentable Phoenix Magazine, but they have an article on this issue today which is fully accurate and recounts some of these instances. It may be worth adding to these and grouping all of the various Ganley legal wheezes into one thread for reference.

    T. Christian Miller - "Blood Money"

    Miller wrote about Ganley in his book, "Blood Money", and was threatened with legal action as a result. This has all been well documented and discussed on this website before.

    Result: No legal action of any kind has ever been taken against Miller.

    Joe Costello TD

    Last December, Labour's Joe Costello was threatened with a libel action for various public claims he made about Libertas funding. Declan Ganley's solicitors demanded an apology and damages. Costello told Ganley to stick it where the sun don't shine.

    Result: Ganley has yet to take any action against Costello, despite his threats.


    Jim Higgins MEP

    Following a number of public statements by Higgins on Ganley's money-making schemes in Iraq, Ganley issued legal threats against Higgins, and orchestrated leak of the solicitors letter to various local papers in the North West.

    Result: Unknown thus far. But there have been no subsequent media reports on this particular threat. One would have to assume that this has been dropped, along with all the other cases.

    The Irish Times & Colm Keena

    Ganley made a series of libel threats against both the IT and Keena following a series of articles published last year, which contained some rather uncomfortable probing of Ganley's profiteering in Iraq, and his connections with various US military personnel.

    Result: No action taken.

    The Phoenix Magazine

    Last year they made inquiries with Libertas about Ganley’s bids for Iraqi mobile phone contracts and later an emergency services network - the same network that Ganley's defenders have used to portray him as some kind of Florence Nightengale character. This prompted paid Libertas monkey John McGuirk to ring their office threatening an injunction preventing publication of the edition.

    Result: No action of any kind was taken by Ganley on foot of the article which was published.


    Village Magazine

    This one was played out pretty well on this website. Village's repetition of Dick Roche's characterisation of Ganley as a "snake-oil salesman", in an article written by Kevin Barrington, as well as other allegations about lucrative money-making schemes which Ganley's companies had in Iraq, led to an attempt at getting an injunction against Village. Barrington had previously posted on Politics.ie (as KevBar) but was eventually banned from the site by Libertas employee David Cochrane, for his persistant attacks on Ganley and others.

    Result:
    Despite insisting that he had been libelled and was on firm legal ground, Ganley - for some unknown reason - decided to settle this case on the steps of the High Court. He could have taken Village to the cleaners, but for some reason refused to do so. The settlement reached subsequently resulted in the saga over the "interview" with Ganley by a Libertas supporter - the pathetic Bruce Arnold.


    Prime Time - Katie Hannon

    The relentless and excellent Katie Hannon had the gall to question Ganley about a gentleman names Kosta Trebicka – an investor in Ganley’s Anglo-Adriatic fund who was later murdered in mysterious circumstances. Ganley's first reaction was to deny ever having known Mr. Trebicka - a claim which was subsequently shown to be completelt false. He then threatened to bring a legal sh*t-storm down on RTE.

    Result: No legal action of any kind has been taken by Ganley against RTE. Ganley made a complaint to the BCC over the Prime Time programme, which in its report completely vindicated Katie Hannon.


    These are the main examples, and doubtless there are others - particularly against politicians. I am personally aware of one instance where paid Libertas monkey John McGuirk claimed to have threatened to sue a private individual (not a politician) for libel and as a result received an apology and a substantial four-figure settlement. This claim was entirely false, and the individual in question had received no communication of any kind from McGuirk.

    On the whole, the tactics of Libertas seem to be two-fold:

    - Threaten any and all critics with legal action, with the aim of silencing them. (most of the cases above)
    - In some instances, the legal threat is completely concocted as a publicity stunt - as was the case with Jim Higgins and, to a lesser extent, Village Magazine.


    Ganley might be a liar and a snake-oil salesman - but he is not stupid. He knows that to bring any of the above cases to the High Court would eventually expose his business affairs, and those of Libertas, to a very uncomfortable degree of scrutiny.

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Royalty toxic avenger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    19,031
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Are you the delegated FG rep here for the Ganley/Libertas stuff? Is this the 'job' you were given? You don't seem to post on much else? Do you have a view, for example, on what Evo Morales said yesterday?

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member ballot stuffer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    52.617,-6.778
    Posts
    1,503
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    I believe McGuirk threatened Gay Mitchell with something similar at a public meeting of all places. He was promptly put back in his box by Mitchell.
    Sow the wind, reap the whirlwind.

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Newbie
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    27
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by toxic avenger View Post
    Are you the delegated FG rep here for the Ganley/Libertas stuff? Is this the 'job' you were given? You don't seem to post on much else? Do you have a view, for example, on what Evo Morales said yesterday?

    He is perfectly entitled to write about whatever subject he wants TA. You seem very obsessed in trying to defend this guy.

    Great post MacCafferty Cat, just shows he is all hot air. You say one word against Ganley and he'll threaten to you.

    Gay Mitchell got McGuirk brilliantly at some public meeting a few months ago when he totally re-buffed a comment he made and made McGuirk look like the money side kick he is.

    Also if Ganley felt he was defamed by Higgins, why did he leak the Solicitors letter which repeated the claims? That's just putting the information which he felt was so damaging to repututation out in public again.
    “We’re in this mess, not because Fianna Fáil policies have failed, but because they have succeeded.”
    Enda Kenny.

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    122
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    They love their Libel so they do ,Libertas. Shame they never issue proceedings. I'd love to see the case unfold in public.

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    34,289
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigeress View Post

    Gay Mitchell got McGuirk brilliantly at some public meeting a few months ago when he totally re-buffed a comment he made and made McGuirk look like the money side kick he is.
    No, Gay Mitchell didn't get McGuirk brilliantly. Gay Mitchell made the false claim that Ganley was being backed by the CIA, McGuirk challenged him on it, but rather than coming up with any proof to back up his claim Mitchell hid behind his parliamentary immunity.
    Happiness is a dry martini and a good woman … or a bad woman.
    –George Burns

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    1,304
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by toxic avenger View Post
    Are you the delegated FG rep here for the Ganley/Libertas stuff? Is this the 'job' you were given? You don't seem to post on much else? Do you have a view, for example, on what Evo Morales said yesterday?
    TA, I thought your article about Morales was excellent (I couldn't give you rep, as I'd already given you some recently)..

    However, what on earth does Morales have to do with Ganley? People are perfectly entitled to post about what they want on a forum, and are not obliged to also post about subjects they aren't interested in.

    P.
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better."

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Newbie
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    27
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CookieMonster View Post
    No, Gay Mitchell didn't get McGuirk brilliantly. Gay Mitchell made the false claim that Ganley was being backed by the CIA, McGuirk challenged him on it, but rather than coming up with any proof to back up his claim Mitchell hid behind his parliamentary immunity.
    Au contrare, I think he shut up McGuirky pretty swiftly.

    Libertas should change their name to Libeltas!!
    “We’re in this mess, not because Fianna Fáil policies have failed, but because they have succeeded.”
    Enda Kenny.

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Royalty toxic avenger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    19,031
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigeress View Post
    He is perfectly entitled to write about whatever subject he wants TA. You seem very obsessed in trying to defend this guy.

    Er... Where did I defend Ganley there? I asked the poster why he doesn't post on much else, I didn't say he wasn't entitled to post on this. I know a command of English seems to be optional nowadays, but seriously...

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Newbie
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    27
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by toxic avenger View Post
    Er... Where did I defend Ganley there? I asked the poster why he doesn't post on much else, I didn't say he wasn't entitled to post on this. I know a command of English seems to be optional nowadays, but seriously...

    Oh what a good come back......seriously got me there, i'm gonna run off and cry now.

    I'm just saying you seem slightly obsessed with defending Ganley. I think I'm entitled to this opinion.
    “We’re in this mess, not because Fianna Fáil policies have failed, but because they have succeeded.”
    Enda Kenny.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •