Follow @PoliticsIE

View Poll Results: Should there be a 9pm curfew for under-16s?

Voters
22. You must be logged in to vote on this poll. Please login or register.
  • Yes

8 36.36%
  • No

13 59.09%
  • Dunno

1 4.55%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Curfew for Under-16s

Default Curfew for Under-16s

There's a lady on Newstalk 106 at the moment arguing for a general curfew for under-16s after 9pm, because, as she put it, some of them are involved in anti-social behaviour.

I applaud this brave thinking.

Since many bank and credit card scams originate in Nigeria, I plan to contact this bold woman with an idea for her next campaign: clearly all black people should be barred from holding credit cards, and indeed computers, for if we take away the tools of crime, there can be no more crime.

I'm working on some sanction for women drivers too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Not sure if I'd go so far as to pass a law on it, but if you're under 16 you shouldn't be on the streets late at night unaccompanied by adults, simple as that. I'd put the time at 10 pm though, 9 is a bit early.
    "Partout où la liberté règne elle est incessamment attaquée et très souvent en péril” – Jean Jacques Rousseau.

Sane person bemused by radio phone in shocker

There should be a simpler solution; a system whereby complaints of general anti-social behaviour can be made against under-16s, not necessarily serious criminal behaviour, and a curfew can be imposed on those against whom three or more complaints have been made.

As a blanket measure, it's a terrible idea, and the problem with requiring adult supervision is there's no guarantee that an 18-year old will be more mature or will even keep a 16-year old out of criminal behaviour.
    "If there is a future, it will be Green." - Petra Kelly.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by green
    There should be a simpler solution; a system whereby complaints of general anti-social behaviour can be made against under-16s, not necessarily serious criminal behaviour, and a curfew can be imposed on those against whom three or more complaints have been made.
    You make a complaint, you get your window broken/tyres slashed/dog shot, you know who did it but you have no proof.

Can peer pressure help? Can we debate/develop/encourage some kind of system whereby it's ok to shop bad buddies? There's great debate going on at the moment about anti-social behaviour, particularly in relation to classrooms but so far I haven't heard anyone mention the responsibilities of those who are closest to the source and whether this is one way to tackle the problem.

Also, by all accounts, Irish children are angels compared to the Brits. Have they come up with an answer?
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when creating them

Quote Originally Posted by david

Also, by all accounts, Irish children are angels compared to the Brits. Have they come up with an answer?
    They've come up with Anti-Social Behaviour Orders. They seem to be pretty popular over there, but of course, it's easier to marginalise people than to try to positively reform them.

I'm divided on whether I would support ASBOs here, because I'm not convinced that they will help the situation at all.

That said, an all-out curfew is obviously just plain stupid.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I agree that the under 16 'community' should be under some kind of curfew but in fairness how would you impose that on kids this age?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That said, an all-out curfew is obviously just plain stupid.
    Exactly, because at present it would be difficult to enforce. However, if the government were to distribute tazers to all over 16s, and allow them to use them on any under16 breaking curfew, it could work.

Quote Originally Posted by Blaguard
    I agree that the under 16 'community' should be under some kind of curfew but in fairness how would you impose that on kids this age?
    Send do-gooders like the Newstalk Lady around with mustard gas, of course. Any little rat refusing to move on will be sprayed. Twice. In the Face.

Quote Originally Posted by jjcarroll
    Exactly, because at present it would be difficult to enforce. However, if the government were to distrubt tazers to all over 16s, and allow them to use them on any under16 breaking curfew, it could work.
    Yes, that would be deadly. We could also distribute special credit card scissors to all retail and banking operatives, for immediate use on any non-white customers. If you give blacks credit cards, you're just asking for trouble.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast