Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: O'Hare starts new freedom bid

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default O'Hare starts new freedom bid

Dessie O'Hare, who is serving 40 years for the kidnapping of dentist John O'Grady, has launched a new High Court action to gain his freedom.

O'Hare claims he had a legitimate expectation that he would be released in 2000 when he was declared a qualifying prisoner under the terms of the Belfast Agreement, or at the latest by July 2003 when the Minister for Justice had indicated an appropriate pre-release programme would be put in place for him.

He claims the failure to release him breaches his rights to fair procedures and natural and constitutional justice, and that he has been unlawfully detained since November 2000.

The High Court also heard today that a number of psychiatric and psychological assessments carried out on him, including by Dr Harry Kennedy, the Director of the Central Mental Hospital, have shown no evidence of mental illness, psychosis or personality disorder.

He was granted leave today to bring judicial review proceedings. He is seeking a number of orders, including a declaration that he is unlawfully detained and an order that he be released forthwith.

O'Hare was jailed for 40 years in 1987 for the kidnapping and assault of Dr John O'Grady. At previous hearings he described himself as a member of the INLA and Officer Commanding the INLA group in Portlaoise Prison. He is currently detained in Castlerea Prison. He has said he totally supports the recognised INLA ceasefire.

O'Hare was not in court for today's application.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2006/0403/ohared.html

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

hard to see why he shouldnt be a free man

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Vox Populi
    Dessie O'Hare, who is serving 40 years for the kidnapping of dentist John O'Grady,
    Hmmm... I seem to recall him doing something more than just kidnapping that poor dentist.

Quote Originally Posted by Vox Populi
    O'Hare was jailed for 40 years in 1987 for the kidnapping and assault of Dr John O'Grady.
    Ah yes, the "assault" of Dr O'Grady, as if in the course of the kidnapping he was pushed around a bit and given a bruise or two.

Dissident republicans: giving the finger to plain speaking.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Regardless of how terrible O'Hare's torture of the poor fellow was, doesn't he still qualify to be released under the GFA? I mean, if the surviving Shankill butchers were let go, surely O'Hare deserves release too.

The "giving the finger" pun, by the way, is class.
    "Somewhere out on that horizon, out beyond the neon lights/ I know there must be something better/ But there's nowhere else in sight/" - Joe Walsh, "In the City"
    http://cedarlounge.wordpress.com

All qualifying prisoners should be free and that includes Dessie O'Hare.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Decko

I wonder how sympathic you'd all be if he'd kidnapped a member of your family.

I thought this was a classic:
    He claims the failure to release him breaches his rights

Lock 'em up and throw away the key!
    "Great minds talk about ideas; mediocre minds talk about events; small minds talk about people"

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alliance
    Quote Originally Posted by Decko

I wonder how sympathic you'd all be if he'd kidnapped a member of your family.

Lock 'em up and throw away the key!
    hmmm......... not sure I understand your logic........ As part of the Belfast agreement murderers were set free. That was the deal..... should the killers of Gerry McCabe be set free...yes of course ..else you get into the murky area of valuing the life of Guard higher then say an RUC man...for the same reason Dessie should be out like the rest

you call yourself Alliance --- maybe you should the the Alliance party policy on this very issue

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Objectively, a number of people released under the GFA are worse than O'Hare. Although he doubtlessly killed many people during his time in the INLA, he got locked up for kidnapping and maiming a dentist. Dozens of people serving murder sentences have been let go; what's the justification for keeping O'Hare behind bars?
    "Somewhere out on that horizon, out beyond the neon lights/ I know there must be something better/ But there's nowhere else in sight/" - Joe Walsh, "In the City"
    http://cedarlounge.wordpress.com

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I was out for an Indian meal the other night in Monaghan town, and who was sitting fornent me only Dessie O Hare.

A very friendly, nice guy I had a chat about football with him etc.

Whats the crack about this guy now, is he totally free?

Politics.ie Member The Field Marshal's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oriel27 View Post
    I was out for an Indian meal the other night in Monaghan town, and who was sitting fornent me only Dessie O Hare.

A very friendly, nice guy I had a chat about football with him etc.

Whats the crack about this guy now, is he totally free?
    Hope you did , nt order "finger food".
    Repeal the thirty-fourth amendment of the Irish constitution :
    Children have a basic right to be reared by a mother and a father.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast