Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the worst Hit Town in Ireland?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default What is the worst Hit Town in Ireland?

Youghal for me.

I own my own Business and have various outlets throughout Ireland. Last Wednesday I received figures for the shops at 6pm for the previous weeks trade.Youghal has consistantly turned over a good trade operataing at about 15-20% profit over the years but I found last week it was down a further 35% on the week before and 60% on last year.

I have a Business Development Manager in place who would look after some of my shops in that area, but I was so annoyed I phoned the manager up at 8pm and asked what was going on. Bluntly he said "Boss, you have no idea how bad it is down here - All the foreign workers are away and 2 Hotels in the town have closed and every second shop on the main street is closed". I spoke candidly to him but when I got off the phone I was convinced I was been done. I told the Wife I would be leaving at 6am for Youghal and I would not be there for the Kids.

Its a good 5 hour drive down to youghal, know the road well. Stopped outside Naas for some Breakfast. Got to Youghal just after 11 and pulled up in the Tesco Park which was empty. Usually Its impossible to park in Youghal but it was I'd say 1/5 full.

Went then to have a walk about and Came accross the hotel at the top of the Town. Big Under Administration notice in the window. As I walked down the town fair enough - Every second shop was closed with To Let signs. Last year these would have been open. Stopped off in the Hotel on the Main street for a Sandwish and to speak to the locals. No one about. Asked for a Sandwich & some Tea and they said they didn't do food anymore. Its a Hotel FFS. I was the only one in the place and managed to talk to the owner who told me he was in trouble himself.

I was looking to hit my own shop at about 2pm as that is when it would be busy. I had a look at 2 of my other competitors and in the first it had 2 customers in it and then 3 customers in the second competitor. When I got to my own it had 2 in it. On a day where I would have expected 20 min.

On the way back I went to Middleton. Same again. Bloody hell - I have never seen such a downturn. I am scared to even use the word depression as it does not even do it justice.

Politics.ie Member ballot stuffer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Were this many businesses and hotels in this town sustainable?
    Sow the wind, reap the whirlwind.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

My own business has been in the family for 25 years, Has survived until this week. Will be closing the door now. No option.

Politics.ie Member ballot stuffer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Iarmhi Gael View Post
    My own business has been in the family for 25 years, Has survived until this week. Will be closing the door now. No option.
    Sorry to hear that. Its tough out there at the moment but there are glimmers of recovery on the horizon.
    Sow the wind, reap the whirlwind.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I am okay - But I have to lay off staff and is cheaper keeping the shops closed. Myself and my competitors would meet alot and everyone in my industry is in the same boat. We have lobbied government in relation to our industry taxes, but our hands are tied. Wages and taxes are killing us.

Just for the record.

The worst I have found.

Letterkenny - Down 84% from 2006
    Youghal - Down 60%
    Clonmel - Down 57%

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sorry to hear that Iarmhi. Will this be permanent, or can you revive if and when the upturn comes? Are you laying many off?

Good luck.
    DeathKnell
    Originally Posted by The Red Rose of Cork
    I dont care about "the majority of people"

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DeathKnell View Post
    Sorry to hear that Iarmhi. Will this be permanent, or can you revive if and when the upturn comes? Are you laying many off?

Good luck.
    DeathKnell
    I am fortunate that I can reopen when there is an upturnn in the economy. At present I already closed some outlets who were costing us, but I am finding that the ones which have always been good - even in the 80's are now not performing and will have to close or sell on. I will have laid off 57 staff in total.

I don't really want this to be about my business, but I was shocked when I walked down Youghal last week.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sorry to hear about your losses sir, i guess you and you family worked really hard for what you had, it must make ye mad that the government is useless to help.

I havent got the any figures, but Monaghan town seems to have taken an awful hit.
    Lots of shops closed, a about 10 pubs are going to close so i have been told.

Closeness to the border has been a disaster for monaghan town. The stirling for a while there was useless.
    SO many food and furniture factories have closed, becuase of the border.

There are so many people on the dole in monaghan, but what is so ironic about the whole thing, not one penny of the dole money is put back into the local economy. It is spend across the border.
    SO effectively this part of the republic is like a big black hole, there is no escape from the downward cycle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I am fortunate that I can reopen when there is an upturnn in the economy. At present I already closed some outlets who were costing us, but I am finding that the ones which have always been good - even in the 80's are now not performing and will have to close or sell on. I will have laid off 57 staff in total.

I don't really want this to be about my business, but I was shocked when I walked down Youghal last week.
    Edenderry.. I used to do some business there and owned a property there. Sold it in 2005. I pulled off the motorway last week and took a detour as I had not been back in 3 years. I was shocked by:
    1) The amount of development that had taken place since late 2005.
    2) How quiet the whole place was.

I cannot give you figures unfortunately. It was the easter sunday so not a typical day. But Id imagine its been hammered.
    Originally Posted by The Red Rose of Cork
    I dont care about "the majority of people"

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Youghal for me.

I own my own Business and have various outlets throughout Ireland. Last Wednesday I received figures for the shops at 6pm for the previous weeks trade.Youghal has consistantly turned over a good trade operataing at about 15-20% profit over the years but I found last week it was down a further 35% on the week before and 60% on last year.

I have a Business Development Manager in place who would look after some of my shops in that area, but I was so annoyed I phoned the manager up at 8pm and asked what was going on. Bluntly he said "Boss, you have no idea how bad it is down here - All the foreign workers are away and 2 Hotels in the town have closed and every second shop on the main street is closed". I spoke candidly to him but when I got off the phone I was convinced I was been done. I told the Wife I would be leaving at 6am for Youghal and I would not be there for the Kids.

Its a good 5 hour drive down to youghal, know the road well. Stopped outside Naas for some Breakfast. Got to Youghal just after 11 and pulled up in the Tesco Park which was empty. Usually Its impossible to park in Youghal but it was I'd say 1/5 full.

Went then to have a walk about and Came accross the hotel at the top of the Town. Big Under Administration notice in the window. As I walked down the town fair enough - Every second shop was closed with To Let signs. Last year these would have been open. Stopped off in the Hotel on the Main street for a Sandwish and to speak to the locals. No one about. Asked for a Sandwich & some Tea and they said they didn't do food anymore. Its a Hotel FFS. I was the only one in the place and managed to talk to the owner who told me he was in trouble himself.

I was looking to hit my own shop at about 2pm as that is when it would be busy. I had a look at 2 of my other competitors and in the first it had 2 customers in it and then 3 customers in the second competitor. When I got to my own it had 2 in it. On a day where I would have expected 20 min.

On the way back I went to Middleton. Same again. Bloody hell - I have never seen such a downturn. I am scared to even use the word depression as it does not even do it justice.
    I live in border area, try a visit to those towns, unreal....Hardly a factory left occupied, few indigenious business's struggling..thats the height of it.They are ready to go under too..Went to a few sandwich bars, empty, unable to pay rates to continue, food going off

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast