0 Post(s)

Separated at birth?

Politics.ie Member FutureTaoiseach's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheBanned
    Separated at birth?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Last night's episode made SOME progress towards greater impartiality compared to recent hysterical and biased RTE coverage. The inclusion of Peter Finlay for example.

More progress needs to be made though. The interviews with the asylum-seekers seemed not to sufficiently delv into whether the claims by the seekers were true or not.

All asylum-seekers will claim they were in danger etc. and had to come here. That doesn't make it true. If they were genuinely refugees they would have reached safety in a previous EU country of entry (olunkunle Eluhanle reached Amsterdam before Ireland) and MUST claim asylum there.

I recognise people from poor countries have a heard life but we charity begins at home.

Quote Originally Posted by FutureTaoiseach
    More progress needs to be made though. The interviews with the asylum-seekers seemed not to sufficiently delv into whether the claims by the seekers were true or not.
    That's not what the programme was about.

I recognise people from poor countries have a heard life but we charity begins at home.
    A cliche isn't a sound basis for public policy.
    Failed liberal traitors: http://cedarlounge.wordpress.com

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Forgive my ignorance, but who is the vaguely familiar chap pictured above being compared to a kazoo?
    Worth breaking my "no sig" rule for: http://cedarlounge.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by joemomma
    Forgive my ignorance, but who is the vaguely familiar chap pictured above being compared to a kazoo?
    He's Peter O'Mahony from the Irish Refugee Council. He was on Primetime, and he had a vaguely nasal voice. Hence the hilarity above.

Clearly the programme wasn't DISGRACEFUL or BIASED or PCGM! :x enough for TheBanned to have an opinion on it, but I guess he felt that he had to say something.

Politics.ie Member FutureTaoiseach's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That's not what the programme was about.
    It should have been part of the general discussion on asylum. The program revealed just 1% of asylum-seekers are getting deported. Over 1 Billion has been spend on the seekers in the last 3 years and we are entitled to question the wisdom and necessity of spending money on people that have lied to us to get the money. Hence the truth or otherwise of their claims is fair game for a program to investigate.

A cliche isn't a sound basis for public policy.
    The saying has survived this long because it is true.

Quote Originally Posted by FutureTaoiseach
    Hence the truth or otherwise of their claims is fair game for a program to investigate.
    Yes, it's fair game for a programme to investigate. However, that doesn't mean that every single programme about the asylum system has to be about that. Especially given that the main thrust of the programme was about those who have applied for leave to remain on humanitarian or other grounds, having already been rejected by the asylum system.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Humanitarian considerations??

The problem with that Smiffy is that legal immigrants have no such claim to permanent residency, humanitarian considerations or extended "visas" funded by taxpayers. Their lot is infinitely inferior to illegal immigrants and they are net contributors.

I would argue that a false claim for asylum is sufficient grounds to nullify any other consideration, on simple the grounds of questionable character.

I am beginning to wonder why anyone should bother come here legally.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I would argue that a false claim for asylum is sufficient grounds to nullify any other consideration, on simple the grounds of questionable character.

I am beginning to wonder why anyone should bother come here legally.
    So that you won't question their character?
    Worth breaking my "no sig" rule for: http://cedarlounge.wordpress.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast