Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: FAS exec's €400,000 expenses

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default FAS exec's €400,000 expenses

The Indo has today revealed that a FAS executive spent €400,000 on expenses between 2001 and 2008 - an average of €50,000 a year.

Greg Craig - he hilariously held the post of director of corporate affairs until the scandal came to light - racked up the credit card bill by wining and dining his way all over the world.

Mr Craig was suspended in December, when the extent of the expenses was revealed, but was reinstated in February following pressure from his union.

The most disgraceful aspect of this story is that Mr Craig has not lost his job presumably because all of the expenses were signed off and nobody queried the lavish amounts in all of the eight years.

If Mr Craig had lost his job it would have simply started a domino effect as FAS was evidently staffed by some of the most wastrel executives in the country.

Credit card limits, which had been €100,000, have now been reduced to €7,000.

Credit card statements obtained by the Irish Independent reveal for the first time the full extent to which former corporate affairs director Greg Craig wined and dined his way around the world prior to being suspended last December amid a series of inquiries.

The executive is back at work after his suspension was lifted by the state training agency in February following pressure from his union.
    FAS chief splashed €400,000 on credit card - National News, Frontpage - Independent.ie

Big spender made a real meal out of his credit cards - National News, Frontpage - Independent.ie

The €400,000 trail of fine dining and lavish hotels - National News, Frontpage - Independent.ie

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

He gobbled down so much noodles it is a miracle he is still alive. Fire Harney and give him her job.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Can somebody explain to me why this is not being viewed at theft?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Digout View Post
    Can somebody explain to me why this is not being viewed at theft?
    Because if it was, then all the other Semi-State employees with an expense account and an expenses credit card would have to be investigated too.

Regards...jmcc

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Seeing as there was a small number of restaurants involved, I wonder was all this food and wine actually consumed? Think about it.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Tanaiste Mary Coughlan was just interviewed on Morning Ireland. When asked about the mammoth expenses she dodged the question/bullet by stating she was unable to comment until a report, into practices at FAS, from the Comptroller and Auditor General is released.

She said she expected the report to be released "soon" and said the government would then act. Unfortunately, the government is likely to be on their long, relaxing summer holidays by then.

Couglan requested the C&AG investigate FAS in September - the delay in releasing the report must be linked to the vast number of receipts the C&AG is required to sift through.

FAS chief pockets €35,000 as spending probe starts - Irish, Business - Independent.ie

Tαnaiste asks C&AG to carry out Fαs inquiry - The Irish Times - Mon, Sep 22, 2008

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think this is great news. If this excess can be curbed, there are are a lot of savings to be made in the public sector.

caveman

Quote Originally Posted by youngdan View Post
    He gobbled down so much noodles it is a miracle he is still alive. Fire Harney and give him her job.
    I wonder how many noodles Harney is getting courtesy of her expenses? the ridiculous thing here is not that the CC receipts show this, but that there are no CC receipts available for our lofty Ministers as they do not need to produce proof of their "expenses".

To be fair, I do not think this FAS employee did wrong. The organisation is at fault, and the government is ultimately at fault. Of course, they will claim it is a FAS issue, as they claim that all health issues belong to the HSE. I love that this government can outsource responsibility, but question what we pay them for.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by robert151410 View Post
    I think this is great news. If this excess can be curbed, there are are a lot of savings to be made in the public sector.
    I think you may be missing the salient point here - these expenses should not have been allowed for eight long years and heads should have rolled by now - remember, Rody Molloy resigned with his pension intact.

Of course, TDs are probably in no position to judge someone for abusing expenses to such an incredible degree.

Accountability seems to be a dirty word in State agencies and the government that created them.

Politics.ie Member Victor Meldrew's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Why did FAS have a €1bn budget when we had practically full employment????

Quote Originally Posted by caveman View Post
    To be fair, I do not think this FAS employee did wrong. The organisation is at fault, and the government is ultimately at fault.
    That's a very fair comment. There is no evidence of context in any of the articles.

There are jobs out there where you live out of a suitcase and spend your life picking up corporate hospitality tabs. A director of Corporate affairs would have a fair bit of this sort of thing in his role , €50K a year in hospitality is not per-se bonkers. His Credit card may also have been the default catch all card abused in the organisation. We need to see the nature and context of all expenses in FAS before we publicly lynch Mr Craig in the media.

In addition, the claim that a €7K limit is somehow prudent is bogus. If paid monthly = €94K a year. Don't focus on the limit here folks, It's FAS's expense policy that I'd like to see and then see how well it was adhered to.

The €640K spent in 4 years on flights to see a NASA site in Florida is a far better indicator of whether we get value for money out of FAS..

The only metric that FAS should be measured on is "Jobs / Euro". Every theig else is commentary.

Quote Originally Posted by caveman View Post
    I love that this government can outsource responsibility, but question what we pay them for.
    HSE, IBEC, SIPTU, HIQA, FAS, ICTU, CIF .............(insert vested interest / Quango here)

These are the real govt. of the country. It's truly disgusting.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast