Follow @PoliticsIE

Thread: An Incident in Tullinaglug

Politics.ie Member wretchedwilbur's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default An Incident in Tullinaglug

An American visited our town last week.

Male , caucasian , florid of cheek - answered to Bud - didn't catch the surname. Hailed from Madison Indiana it transpired.

Bumped into him on Wednesday morning as I was delivering coal in one of the myriad of new housing estates to blossom gaudily during the recent hiatus which interrupted our prevailing economic state of dismal depression.

He was having trouble locating the abode of a Mr Hourlaw , a fellow American he was keen to meet. Bud had been imbibing in one of our local hostelries , the "Merry Sniper" , and had been informed by a helpful band of forelock-tipping peasants of the existence of another American who had retired and settled in our little town. And , amazingly , this Mr Hourlaw had lived all his life in Madison Indiana too !! What are the chances !!

And , now , the following morning I had encountered Bud , piece of paper in hand and a look of perplexed frustration on face. He cheered up on seeing me presuming , rightly , that in my line of work I'd probably be in a position to render clear and unambiguous directions to the elusive home of Mr Hourlaw.But I had never heard of the man.

"What's his christian name , good buddy ?" said I trying to sound American and sophisticated.

Bud checked his piece of paper. "Chuck " he drawled - before spittin' a well masticated plug of baccy onto the pav..sidewalk.

It meant nothing to me.

Bud drawled a bit more. "Guys in the bar said he liked to be called Chucky !"

And then it hit me .

"Sorry Bud but I think you're the victim of a wind-up , old hombre" , I told him.

I'd have loved to explain it to him but old Mrs McAsal at number 6 was roaring for briquettes , with a face on her like a smacked aarse !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Interesting fact, the term "bud" comes from the Irish "Búd".
    Every one sees what you appear to be, few really know what you are, and those few dare not oppose themselves to the opinion of the many, who have the majesty of the state to defend them.

- Niccolò Machiavelli

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

And so he went back to the pub, sadder Bud wiser?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Bobert:
    So what's "Búd"? Is it a name? Never heard of it.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by islands View Post
    And so he went back to the pub, sadder Bud wiser?

You're getting rep for that

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

... possibly from Scotish Gaelic "a bhodaich" meaning "old man".???
    I watched with glee, while your kings and queens, fought for ten decades for the gods they made.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

He's a lucky guy if he's from Madison. I've been there. Very pretty town, on the Ohio River.
    I wouldn't fancy spending January & February there, however. Freezing...

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew49 View Post
    ... possibly from Scotish Gaelic "a bhodaich" meaning "old man".???
    That's not just Scots Gaelic, bodach is Irish also. Though it certainly does not mean "old man".

But it wouldn't correspond to the "Búd" that our friend above mentions. Different vowel.

Of course, when I think about it, Irish "bod" could mean old man...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

When the Irish first emigrated Stateside, they would refer to the Yanks as búd, which is Irish for penis, or pri'ck as it was more commonly known to the immigrants. So, the Irish would call Americans pri'cks and, overtime, the Americans took it to mean friend.
    Every one sees what you appear to be, few really know what you are, and those few dare not oppose themselves to the opinion of the many, who have the majesty of the state to defend them.

- Niccolò Machiavelli

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ok, so are u a writer???? Great prose, we were highly entertained. Any more tales from the ol sod? My Nana's (bless her soul) hometown??