Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 144

Thread: Ivan Yates for Newstalks's Breakfast Show

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member draiocht23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    308
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Ivan Yates for Newstalks's Breakfast Show

    Ivan Yates is in talks to present Newstalk's Breakfast Show.

    The former FG Minister has been ubiquitous on the airwaves of late and there is certainly no denying (although, maybe a few here will!) that as a commentator he is quite good.

    The few times he has fronted George Hook's show he has performed well but I'm not sure that anyone can eat into Morning Ireland's massive share of the audience.

    Also, what will happen to the two current presenters - Claire Byrne - who went to court to be released from her TV3 contract in order to co-anchor the show - and Ger Gilroy?

    The former Fine Gael TD-turned-bookmaker is in talks to become a presenter on Newstalk, where he is expected to anchor a restructured breakfast show. The Denis O’Brien-owned national radio station confirmed yesterday that talks were taking place, but remained coy about Yates’s specific role. “Where he is going isn’t fully decided, but we are very keen that Ivan joins us,” said Frank Cronin, the station’s chief executive.

    Despite numerous make-overs and changes of presenter since its launch in 2002, Newstalk’s Breakfast Show has made little inroads into Morning Ireland’s audience, which was 437,000 in 2008. The most recent figures for Newstalk’s rival show revealed an audience of 63,000 listeners.
    Ivan Yates lined up for breakfast show - Times Online
    Last edited by draiocht23; 12th April 2009 at 04:11 AM.

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member Gabha Óir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    An Fáinne Fí
    Posts
    2,441
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    I stopped listening to Newstalk in the mornings when all they did was read out sponsors messages after cutting off interviews abrubtly to enable them to do so. I still enjoy it the sports show in the evening but it is gradually becoming the same.

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    14,782
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Really, would anything prise the population from RTE or local radio?

    I do not like the GER and CLAIRE format. I get the feeling that they do not gel well together.

    Anyway, who wants 2 presenters talking to one another and trying to beat each other at the soundbites?

    I do like Eamon Keane though. A good news show, and a bit of fun at times, without a sidekick too.

    Ivan Yates will be on Newstalk soon, hopefully, anything is better than the current G and C.

    I hate 2 presenters talking to each other instead of news delivery.

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member draiocht23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    308
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by asset test View Post
    Really, would anything prise the population from RTE or local radio?

    I do not like the GER and CLAIRE format. I get the feeling that they do not gel well together.

    Anyway, who wants 2 presenters talking to one another and trying to beat each other at the soundbites?

    I do like Eamon Keane though. A good news show, and a bit of fun at times, without a sidekick too.

    Ivan Yates will be on Newstalk soon, hopefully, anything is better than the current G and C.

    I hate 2 presenters talking to each other instead of news delivery.
    Yeah, Morning Ireland is a bit of a monolith - although about 20mins in every hour is taking up by repeating the headlines every 30mins. Why do stations insist on doing that?

    The Newstalk show had a bit of a coup recently with that Standards and Poor guy who seemed to suggest a change in government to deal with the economic crisis.

    Other than that, Newstalk is at a distinct disadvantage guest wise. If Ministers are going to deign to do an interview on a morning radio show - it's going to be the one with the highest ratings.

    I listen to Newstalk if I'm ever up at 6.30am but the first half hour of the show is usually waffle and seems to exist for one reason - MI doesn't start until 7 and they're hoping listeners will be too lazy to change channel!
    Last edited by draiocht23; 12th April 2009 at 04:12 AM.

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    14,782
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Draiocht, Agree, MI has the highest ratings so that's where the major interviews will go.

    Still, I think that is a failing of Newstalk management. Newstalk had the opportunity to be a great Talk Radio station, but so far it is in the doldrums. Why? Breakfast duo radio to start, followed by a lovely guy who would bore the pants off a Benedictine friar.

    And to cap it all, the early Saturday show (Brendan O'Brien) was curtailed by half an hour to give Orla Barry more time YYYYYaaaaaahgh.

    I really wanted Newstalk to be a buffer for RTE, but it's looking like license fees will win out all the time, sadly

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member draiocht23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    308
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by asset test View Post
    Draiocht, Agree, MI has the highest ratings so that's where the major interviews will go.

    Still, I think that is a failing of Newstalk management. Newstalk had the opportunity to be a great Talk Radio station, but so far it is in the doldrums. Why? Breakfast duo radio to start, followed by a lovely guy who would bore the pants off a Benedictine friar.

    And to cap it all, the early Saturday show (Brendan O'Brien) was curtailed by half an hour to give Orla Barry more time YYYYYaaaaaahgh.

    I really wanted Newstalk to be a buffer for RTE, but it's looking like license fees will win out all the time, sadly
    I think Newstalk is trying to be a news channel but a more "folksy" one than RTE - something that, personally, I dislike.

    It's more lighthearted and less news driven than RTE - essentially, it's the TV3 of news.

    I think this fails for a number of reasons. Foremost of these is the fact that most of the people who want to listen to a news show do so to be informed. They do not want to hear banter between hosts or the host's random, prolonged musings on certain issues.

    A prime example is Eamon Keane on the lunch time show who says "here's what I think..." every 10 minutes.

    Then there is interview style and I think some of of the toughest interviews I've heard on radio have come from the Morning Ireland team - Aine Lawlor and Cathal Mac Coille especially - and Sean O'Rourke at 1pm.
    Last edited by draiocht23; 12th April 2009 at 04:12 AM.

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    5,124
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by draiocht23 View Post
    Yeah, Morning Ireland is a bit of a monolith - although about 20mins in every hour is taking up by repeating the headlines every 30mins. Why do stations insist on doing that?
    Probably cos peeps get up at different times.
    Racism = fear, low self-esteem and breath-taking ignorance.

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member draiocht23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    308
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kev408 View Post
    Probably cos peeps get up at different times.
    I know, but still - the exact same 10 mins, verbatim, is repeated every 30 mins. Drives me mental.

    I think headlines at the hour would still keep people informed.

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    12,223
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by draiocht23 View Post
    I know, but still - the exact same 10 mins, verbatim, is repeated every 30 mins. Drives me mental.

    I think headlines at the hour would still keep people informed.
    They do it because the audience surveys show that is what people want. They want to find out that within a few minutes of tuning in they will get the headlines. People don't want to wait til the next hour and if necessary would change station to get news quicker.

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member draiocht23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    308
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TommyO'Brien View Post
    They do it because the audience surveys show that is what people want. They want to find out that within a few minutes of tuning in they will get the headlines. People don't want to wait til the next hour and if necessary would change station to get news quicker.
    I don't know. I'm dubious. I would hazard a guess that most people listen to MI for circa an hour, or more, so the constant repetition of the exact same headlines is annoying.

    Maybe it's just me. Also, maybe RTE could just give the barest possible headlines on the half hour and not play journalists' reports after the newsreader's announcement. That could work, maybe.

    Anyway, what do you think of Mr Yates' possible morning slot Tommy? Do you think he could make it work and increase ratings?

    What do you think will happen to the two existing hosts - will they be taken out the back and shot by Denis O'Brien?

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •