Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is this tax system just?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Is this tax system just?

Interesting to see that that sanctamonious cow Sinéad O'Connor is happy to leave paying taxes to the great unwashed :x

Celebrity names stand out in the exemption list

POP stars Samantha Mumba and Sinead O'Connor were among the celebrity names on yesterday's published Revenue list of those who availed of the artists' tax exemption scheme.

Yesterday's list does not tell the public how much tax-free money each of the 1,512 people received.

Yesterday's published Revenue list includes writers, musicians, painters, political spin doctors, journalists and playwrights. Some 28 are believed to have earned from €500,000 up to €10m in 2001, claiming a collective tax exemption of €46m.

Singer/songwriter Elvis Costello is on the list as is his ex-wife, Cait O'Riordan of The Pogues. Aslan lead singer Christy Dignam, also appears as does Brian Kennedy and David Kitt, the son of Government chief whip Tom Kitt.

Others on the music list include Finbar Wright, Juliet Turner, Eimear Quinn and Kieran and Michael Goss. Kenyan-born singer Roger Whittaker, who set up home in Co Offaly in 2000, is also on it.

Pauline McLynn, who played 'Fr Ted's' housekeeper "Mrs Doyle", claimed tax relief for her books. Also on this list is Mannix Flynn, crime writer John Connolly and children's book author Eoin Colfer.

Best-selling "chick-lit" authors Cathy Kelly, Sheila O'Flanagan and Martina Devlin also claimed tax relief as did Judy May Murphy and Sarah Webb.

Journalists include 'Sunday Tribune' political editor Stephen Collins, 'Sunday World' political editor Sean Boyne, 'Magill' editor Eamon Delaney, 'Sunday Independent' writers Gene Kerrigan and Stephen Dodd, and 'Sunday Times' writer Liam Fay.

The late 'Irish Times' editor Douglas Gageby claimed tax relief for his book 'Sean Lester and The League of Nations'. BBC World Affairs editor John Simpson claimed for three books he wrote while resident in Ireland.

Names from the theatre world include playwright Conor McPherson, Mark O'Rowe.

Director Jim Sheridan's daughter, Kirsten Sheridan, is there, as are "Navan Man" Stuart Carolan and Irish Independent restaurant critic and columnist, Alan Stanford.

Politics.ie Member FutureTaoiseach's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

As a neo-liberal, I firmly believe taxes are way too high in Ireland.

My solution would be to privatise nearly all of the public-sector except the railways and maybe schools.

The resultant savings would allow the Government to cut taxes.

Private health-insurance would be compulsory for those who can afford it. I believe that competition between insurance companies would mean people paying less in health-insurance premiums than they were paying to the health-service through their taxes. You see free healthcare is an illusion. It isn't free. We pay through our taxes.

I would retain the medical card however.

I would definitely sell Aer Lingus, and the state airports. The unions have too much power in this country. Thatcher had the right idea in terms of putting them in their place. Society needs unions as a deterrent to bad employers, but too often they branch out from their traditional role of protecting employee rights, and venture into ideological politics on questions like state-ownership, and immigration policy among others. This is not the role of a trade union. The British public elected Thatcher because of the 1979 Winter of Discontent, which illustrated what happens to a society with overmighty trade unions.

We should not raise business taxes. Investment in Ireland depends largely on low taxes and the absence of intrusive state regulation. I would retain the minimum wage, but oppose any attempt by the Irish Left to raise corporation taxes. In the EU, I would oppose the nagging of France and some other countries to try to force us to give up our tax veto, and would stubbornly oppose harmonisation of tax rates. The European Social Model has failed where unemployment is concerned in Italy, France, Spain, and most dramatically of all - Germany.

The Irish Left think emotionally, but are very lacking in forward planning. Their instinct is to throw money at a problem, without forward planning and consideration as to whether the problem will actually be solved.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FutureTaoiseach
    Despite having one of the lowest income tax rates in the developed world you believe they are way too high?

My solution would be to privatise nearly all of the public-sector except the railways and maybe schools.
    After all the privatisation of eircom was so sucessful, wasn't it?
    Investors and comsumers feel they fared badly from this privatisation. I'll grant you that competition has improved the consumer's lot and Comreg have done well (.. we won't have residential broadband in this country without Comreg, IMO) but what good did the actual privatisation of eircom achieve?

You see free healthcare is an illusion. It isn't free. We pay through our taxes.
    I think we all know this. Hands up who though free healthcare was free! Anybody? No?
    Free healthcare is free for those that can't afford to pay, not free for eveybody.

I would definitely sell Aer Lingus, and the state airports.
    To what end? Why sell our assets while they are making money?

The unions have too much power in this country.
    Finally! Something I can agree with you on!
    I hate my username!

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I agree that Unions are selfish, overlypowerful and damaging, but so too are business organisations and lobby groups. Why should unions play nice and business organisations dont?
    I'm sure you'll agree that overly powerful business groups are damaging too. Look at energy deregulation in California,as well as a lack of strict environmental laws that result pollution costing €60 billion worth of economic loss and 500,000 premature deaths in the EU each year, all because selfish business groups kicked up a fuss about Carbon Tax.
    A tough line is needed against all these groups!

Just to be picky, the artists' exemption scheme relates only to revenue derived from the sale of artistic works, and not on all income the artist earns in a given year.

This means that for someone like Samantha Mumba, she'd be granted relief on income gained from her CDs (if any), but would still be liable for tax on income earned from performing (or appearing in sci-fi classic The Time Machine ).
    Failed liberal traitors: http://cedarlounge.wordpress.com

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Danny
    I agree that Unions are selfish, overlypowerful and damaging, but so too are business organisations and lobby groups. Why should unions play nice and business organisations dont?
    I'm sure you'll agree that overly powerful business groups are damaging too. Look at energy deregulation in California,as well as a lack of strict environmental laws that result pollution costing €60 billion worth of economic loss and 500,000 premature deaths in the EU each year, all because selfish business groups kicked up a fuss about Carbon Tax.
    A tough line is needed against all these groups!
    I agree absolutly Danny.
    Obvisiously trade unions are needed to protect workers rights, for example SIPTU intervened to talk to Irish Ferries in the Salvacion Orge case recently.
    However it makes me mad when I hear of semi-state workers wanting extra pay because they had to learn a new software package or drivers refusing to drive new smaller buses (as I believe happened about 6 years ago in Galway). Businesses nowadays need the ability to adapt quickly to the changing marketplace or they will suffer and unions often seem to hamper this.
    I hate my username!

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Gael:

Not sure why you're attacking people for applying for tax relief they are entitled to. Sure, I would take any I could qualify for.

Attack the idiocy of the law, but why jump on people for taking advantage?

And it's not just artists, it's horsey people too.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

To get back on topic: Is this tax system just?
    I think we need a tax band for billionaires, so that they can pay just a small percentage of tax. Better for them to pay a small percntage here than they residing in Monaco.
    I hate my username!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PinkoLeftie
    Despite having one of the lowest income tax rates in the developed world you believe they are way too high?

After all the privatisation of eircom was so sucessful, wasn't it?
    Investors and comsumers feel they fared badly from this privatisation. I'll grant you that competition has improved the consumer's lot and Comreg have done well (.. we won't have residential broadband in this country without Comreg, IMO) but what good did the actual privatisation of eircom achieve?

You see free healthcare is an illusion. It isn't free. We pay through our taxes.
    I think we all know this. Hands up who though free healthcare was free! Anybody? No?
    Free healthcare is free for those that can't afford to pay, not free for eveybody.

I would definitely sell Aer Lingus, and the state airports.
    To what end? Why sell our assets while they are making money?

The unions have too much power in this country.
    Finally! Something I can agree with you on!
    In fairness pinko if we had followed what lefties wanted they would NOT be making money.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What Flakie said, what person pays additional tax than the revenue commissioners say they should?

I quite like the exemption for artists. I believe it helps a great number of artists survive and there are few cases of very wealthy artists availing. If the artists exemption was removed what net effect would it have on our economy? Very little I would guess.

The main interesting thing here is the revenue commissioners decision to name these artists. This seems like a name and shame approach, indicating that the revenue believes these people have done something wrong, which they patently haven't.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast