Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Elephant In the Room - FG / LAB Will NOT WORK

Default Elephant In the Room - FG / LAB Will NOT WORK

As much as I despise the current FF government & everything they stand for ..... the fact is that the most stable result after the next Gen Elec will be a LAB FF government.

FG & LAB's Policies are simply not ''miscible' and this will lead to 'clunky' government.

Lets have the Debate!

i know this debate will lead to LAB loosing some votes ... but lets put our cards on the table here!
    My nearest neighbor is 40,075.16 kilometers away

Welcome To Ireland
    Steal a little and - We'll put you in Jail
    Steal a lot and - You'll get a payoff and pension.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Labour have a a history of sh1tting themselves when going gets rough in government so i dont see how long they would last in FF led government either.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Labour are the Wind and Piss party,because they are always the smaller party in government,they always hand off blame and start *************************in and moaning about lack of cooperation .
    A champion of the people emerges with the age-old and appealing promise of "something for nothing" - to be financed through every-increasing taxes. Supply and demand are thrown out of gear - the overhead goes up; the effective use of human energy goes down; the standard of living is lowered because money cannot buy wealth that is not produced.

WEAVER, HENRY GRADY,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think that's a very honest assessment. The ideal solution would be to see FF destroyed so we could have a FG government with a Labour opposition.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hopefully this thread will help FG types to come around to coalition with FF

If Labour can coalesce with FF, then surely FG can ?

cYp
    "Yawn , am I alive yet ?"

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LeftOfCentre View Post
    As much as I despise the current FF government & everything they stand for ..... the fact is that the most stable result after the next Gen Elec will be a LAB FF government.

FG & LAB's Policies are simply not ''miscible' and this will lead to 'clunky' government.

Lets have the Debate!

i know this debate will lead to LAB loosing some votes ... but lets put our cards on the table here!
    Firstly, I'm not sure that "miscible" is a word. Secondly, Fine Gael and Labour's policies are broadly compatible. They differ right now by about a billion in the amount of savings required, but not greatly on how to achieve them. There's nothing there that couldn't be solved in negotiation. Thirdly, if you despise the FF government, only a vote for Fine Gael is a vote to get them out. Fourthly, if your party says publicly what you're saying, there'll be an FG majority government after the next election.

So keep up the good work.
    "So how are things at the Campaign for the Freedom of Information, by the way?" "Sorry, I can't talk about that"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I agree that FF would be more compatible with Labour than FG would be plus the chances of requiring a third party or independents would be lower with FF/Lab.

Although as a small government FF'er i'd be uncomfortable in government with Labour. Aside from single party government i'd personally be most comfortable with the situation as it stands now i.e. FF/Green.
    Freedom, Tolerance & Equality of Opportunity

Economic Left/Right: -1.25
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.33

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cyberianpan View Post
    Hopefully this thread will help FG types to come around to coalition with FF

If Labour can coalesce with FF, then surely FG can ?

cYp
    No, we can't. FF are a cancer on our country, and we need their grubby, self-serving hands removed from the levers of power for as long as it takes for them to start serving the public interest when in government. As such, FG are committed to doing precisely that.

The fact that Labour may be lacking principles in that regard doesn't mean FG have to descend to that level as well.
    "So how are things at the Campaign for the Freedom of Information, by the way?" "Sorry, I can't talk about that"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LeftOfCentre View Post

Lets have the Debate!

I think you'd be suprised at how well they would collaborate. Labour's rhetoric may sound radical to some but they are "realists" in practice. They will prop up a right wing Fine Gael government happily enough if it means their leadership get to shove their snouts in the trough.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TradCat View Post
    I think that's a very honest assessment. The ideal solution would be to see FF destroyed so we could have a FG government with a Labour opposition.
    That scenario will only happen in your wet dreams.

I don't think that Labour are compatible with FG. The parties had diametrically opposed visions of what should have been contained in the budget with FG wanting to slash public spending with Labour favouring tax increases. I don't know how any such government could survive in these times with that level of fundamental disagreement.

(Unsurprisingly) I like the current makeup of the government but if it did come down to it and there was a general election I think that an FF Lab government would work. Much of the FF grassroots would favour such a coalition.
    “Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen” - Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast