Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Time to set a maximum wage?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Time to set a maximum wage?

If the powers that be in the hierarchial circles of social partnership can determine what a minimum wage can be set at, then surely where there is a minimum, there is a maximum.

For some, 8.65 may not to bad a wage, particularly if its your first wage and you are young and single. But if you are married with a couple of kids, on one income its paltry.
    Yet the powers that be have deemed that 8.65 is an acceptable wage to provide for the necessaires of every day livig (accepting there is also a Family Income Supplement) then they obviously have costed what is necessary to survive, i.e a roof over your head, a shirt on your back, food on the table and a few quid to save or squander.

If 8.65 has been set as the minimum wage, then what would an acceptable maximum wage be?
    This is already occuring in the banking sector, so why not across all sectors?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I would be bloody happy with 8.65 an hr jeez get real Ireland.. When is this madness of greed going to stop in this country

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Setting a maximum wage in the private sector is a pig ignorant idea. But a maximum in the public sector, would be good. With amount of unemployed the unions have created, we should be getting rid of minimum wage.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by selfemployedmar View Post
    I would be bloody happy with 8.65 an hr jeez get real Ireland.. When is this madness of greed going to stop in this country
    what are ya on about
    Actual morality is doing what is right regardless of what you're told. Religious morality is doing what you're told, regardless of if it's right.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think a maximum wage as a multiple of average wages is a good idea. Lets say 5x average wage is the 'maximum wage' (roughly 150k).

This could be set by the state by having a very high tax rate (say 85% on all income above this threshold)

This would mean if the rich want to pay themselves more, they have to pay their workers more first.

It would ensure a better distribution of wealth and there would still be incentive for people to work hard while preventing the kind of obscene wages we see at present. (nobody can say that they genuinely work 5 times harder than the average worker, there simply isn't that much of a difference between peak and mean human ability)
    Actual morality is doing what is right regardless of what you're told. Religious morality is doing what you're told, regardless of if it's right.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If you set a maximum wage, people will lose the incentive to educate themselves, to work hard or even to stay in the country. If I work hard, why should I stay in Ireland when I could earn more abroad? If my boss has his wages capped, why should he grow his company and hire more people? How could that be a good thing for the country?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

markpb is correct. After implementing the maximum wage, you would then need Castro-style restrictions on people escaping.

Quote Originally Posted by Akrasia View Post
    I think a maximum wage as a multiple of average wages is a good idea. Lets say 5x average wage is the 'maximum wage' (roughly 150k).

This could be set by the state by having a very high tax rate (say 85% on all income above this threshold)

This would mean if the rich want to pay themselves more, they have to pay their workers more first.

It would ensure a better distribution of wealth and there would still be incentive for people to work hard while preventing the kind of obscene wages we see at present. (nobody can say that they genuinely work 5 times harder than the average worker, there simply isn't that much of a difference between peak and mean human ability)
    The maximum wage ought to be 32,000. No-one should make more that average.
    Liquidate labour, liquidate stocks, liquidate the farmers, liquidate real estate.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Right on,and the blackmarket would flourish .
    Quote Originally Posted by markpb View Post
    If you set a maximum wage, people will lose the incentive to educate themselves, to work hard or even to stay in the country. If I work hard, why should I stay in Ireland when I could earn more abroad? If my boss has his wages capped, why should he grow his company and hire more people? How could that be a good thing for the country?
    A champion of the people emerges with the age-old and appealing promise of "something for nothing" - to be financed through every-increasing taxes. Supply and demand are thrown out of gear - the overhead goes up; the effective use of human energy goes down; the standard of living is lowered because money cannot buy wealth that is not produced.

WEAVER, HENRY GRADY,

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Would that be for both Public and Private sector?
    Quote Originally Posted by Defeated Romanticist View Post
    The maximum wage ought to be 32,000. No-one should make more that average.
    A champion of the people emerges with the age-old and appealing promise of "something for nothing" - to be financed through every-increasing taxes. Supply and demand are thrown out of gear - the overhead goes up; the effective use of human energy goes down; the standard of living is lowered because money cannot buy wealth that is not produced.

WEAVER, HENRY GRADY,

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast