Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The new Civil Servant Career break scheme

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default The new Civil Servant Career break scheme

What do people think of the new Civil Service career break scheme that was announced yesterday? I think it is a good idea and will cut the pay bill down a good bit if enough people take up the option. I got an email about it this morning and I am considering taken up the option and maybe go back to college.

Basically the offer is a 3 year career break where you will be paid up to a max of 12,600 (depending on your salary) a year for the 3 years. The money is paid quarterly in arrears. I think that Permanent TSB announced something similar a few months back. Dont know how successful it was though.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Are yo allowed take up alternative employment during this period ?
    Wold your position be filled by a contractor or tem position (or is this prevented by the freeze ?)
    The true "front line workers" are the private sector paye employees who are first to take the bullet. Cannon fodder for their state and the public sector.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

No you cant take up other employment in Ireland and your position would not be filled due to the recruitment freeze.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Do you have a link to any official details or reference to the scheme ?
    The true "front line workers" are the private sector paye employees who are first to take the bullet. Cannon fodder for their state and the public sector.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gazdub View Post
    No you cant take up other employment in Ireland.
    I'm a bit surprised by that. Can you copy and paste the email you got? It must have more detail than was published yesterday.
    Nothing will motivate the lazy / apathetic / Americanised / west-British types to embrace their culture and the Irish language.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Conor View Post
    I'm a bit surprised by that. Can you copy and paste the email you got? It must have more detail than was published yesterday.
    i thought existing career break schemes in the ps also prevented work in private sector also ? I could be wrong, just my impression

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yeh but you're paid nothin for existing career breaks and are therefore under no obligation to the employer. This is different. The career break idea is possibly the only good one to come out of yesterday - although it only applies to permenent employees obviously and sure tonnes of the CS and PS are temporary. It alos seems to only apply to the Civil service not the entire public sector.

The early retirement scheme may also be worthy esecially if the stinking carcass that is the top echelons and mnagement of the public sector is weeded out (with many exceptions i hasten to add) - thems what got us into this mess

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by alonso View Post
    It alos seems to only apply to the Civil service not the entire public sector.
    "Consideration is being given to the early extension of these measures (or their equivalent) to other appropriate areas of the public service", it says.
    Nothing will motivate the lazy / apathetic / Americanised / west-British types to embrace their culture and the Irish language.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wexfordman View Post
    Do you have a link to any official details or reference to the scheme ?
    This is the content of the e-mail...

Annex E: Special Civil Service Incentive Career Break Scheme and Shorter Working Year Scheme
    The Government has decided to offer civil servants two new work-life balance schemes, as detailed below.

Special Civil Service Incentive Career Break scheme

• As a once off measure, under a Special Civil Service Incentive Career Break scheme, civil servants who take a career break for 3 years will be paid an incentive payment of 33% of gross pay to a maximum of €12,500 per year (for a person working full time, reduced pro rata for any person on reduced working hours).

• The payment will be payable quarterly in arrears for 3 years.

• The career break will have to start by 1 September 2009, with limited exceptions (e.g. for those on maternity leave or where for business needs a later starting date is required).

• A career break may be allowed for family reasons, other domestic purposes (e.g. care of a relative), travel abroad, self-employment and educational purposes.

Shorter Working Year scheme
    • In addition, the existing scheme permitting civil servants to take unpaid leave to balance their working arrangements with outside commitments, including the holidays of their children, (‘Term Time’) is being revised and will now be called the Shorter Working Year Scheme.

• Under the terms of the scheme, unpaid special leave will available for periods of 2 to 13 consecutive weeks to any civil servant.

• If requested, administrative arrangements can be made to have the reduced salary spread over 52 weeks.
    Departments will be taking action to minimise the effect of these schemes on service delivery as far as practicable.
    Consideration is being given to the early extension of these measures (or their equivalent) to other appropriate areas of the public service.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wexfordman View Post
    i thought existing career break schemes in the ps also prevented work in private sector also ? I could be wrong, just my impression
    You're correct they do but you can set up your own business during a career break and afaik work for a family business.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast