Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Police Assault leading to death of passer-by captured on video.....

Politics.ie Newbie thedudeinthehat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Police Assault leading to death of passer-by captured on video.....

Follow link to see footage - from guardian website.

Video reveals G20 police assault on Ian Tomlinson moments before he died | UK news | guardian.co.uk

In the current climate this shows the folly of both large street protests and heavy handed tactics by the authorities. Some lessons for Ireland from this I think. If this were to happen in Ireland people would flip.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'd say we will see charges being pressed here (pig flys by)

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by codology View Post
    I'd say we will see charges being pressed here (pig flys by)
    Are we allowed to call them 'pigs' on here? ;-)
    "To be is to do"-Socrates; "To do is to be"-Sartre; "Do Be Do Be Do"-Sinatra

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Very reminiscent of the Blair Peach's death during a demonstration nearly 30 years ago - and there has been no justice in that case to date.

Blair Peach
    I watched with glee, while your kings and queens, fought for ten decades for the gods they made.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Murra View Post
    Are we allowed to call them 'pigs' on here? ;-)
    oh i think someone just did right?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thedudeinthehat View Post

In the current climate this shows the folly of both large street protests and heavy handed tactics by the authorities. Some lessons for Ireland from this I think. If this were to happen in Ireland people would flip.
    I don't think it shows the folly of large street protests. Everyone has the right to peacefully protest...or walk home from work in this instance.

Police behaviour, during these protests, can be appalling. There was that "robocop" Garda during the May Day protests in Dublin and the Italian police were complete brutes during the anti G8 protests in Genoa.

People always complain about the tiny percentage of protesters who use these demonstrations as an excuse for violence. Well, there is an equivalent kind of policeman who uses these occasions to beat random innocent people.

Luckily this was caught on camera.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by draiocht23 View Post
    I don't think it shows the folly of large street protests. Everyone has the right to peacefully protest...or walk home from work in this instance.

Police behaviour, during these protests, can be appalling. There was that "robocop" Garda during the May Day protests in Dublin and the Italian police were complete brutes during the anti G8 protests in Genoa.

People always complain about the tiny percentage of protesters who use these demonstrations as an excuse for violence. Well, there is an equivalent kind of policeman who uses these occasions to beat random innocent people.

Yeh your right, people should be allowed to protest as desired. But what I mean above is that there is a time when it is dangerous to do so. Not because you may get a few messers in the pack. But at certain times, there can be such a tension, that there is a near certainty of widespread violence. It never improves the situation. Protests great- but restraint at times too. I also think a distinction should be made between a "protest" and a narrow self interest group causing obstruction in economic self interest. Compare Iraq war protest (widespread peaceful resistance) to the reaction to the Love Ulster march, the actions of the pensioners or airport workers causing passengers disruption. Im all far unions etc but the organisers of these things need to ask the hard questions beforehand. Pensioners didnt need to meet up for us to figure out they were pissed with medical card fiasco. But the Iraq war march was a good way to measure the widespread anti-war sentiment. Am I making sense here or going in circles?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thedudeinthehat View Post
    Yeh your right, people should be allowed to protest as desired. But what I mean above is that there is a time when it is dangerous to do so. Not because you may get a few messers in the pack. But at certain times, there can be such a tension, that there is a near certainty of widespread violence. It never improves the situation. Protests great- but restraint at times too. I also think a distinction should be made between a "protest" and a narrow self interest group causing obstruction in economic self interest. Compare Iraq war protest (widespread peaceful resistance) to the reaction to the Love Ulster march, the actions of the pensioners or airport workers causing passengers disruption. Im all far unions etc but the organisers of these things need to ask the hard questions beforehand. Pensioners didnt need to meet up for us to figure out they were pissed with medical card fiasco. But the Iraq war march was a good way to measure the widespread anti-war sentiment. Am I making sense here or going in circles?
    I think it was the sight of all of those frothing at the mouth OAPs that scared the living sh1te out of the government - especially our backbone-less backbenchers - last year.

Anyway, police - especially riot police - are supposed to be trained for this sort of thing. That's why they're called riot police (it's not just so they can wear black, brandish batons, fire tear gas and generally run amok!)

It was interesting the way the police were attempting to blame the protesters for this poor man's death as well. According to the video they said that they impeded medics reaching him - it was clear from the video that it was a protester who attempted to help him.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I say thank goodness for the police. People should not be allowed to protest. There is always trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by draiocht23 View Post

Absolutely!
    It won't help poor Ian Tomlinson, but hopefully it will lead to the perpetrator being prosecuted.

Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast