Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Care for the Elderly in the home

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Care for the Elderly in the home

I spoke recently with a person whose parents had just moved in with him and his wife and children...My friend recognises that his father needs 24/7 medical care,and he and his wife are not able to provide this.
    A nursing home seems to be the answer.. But he doesn't want to go to a home and his family want to respect his wishes...Both parents are medical card holders and their family cant afford to employ a "live in care assistant"
    Does anyone on this site know of another option.. bearing in mind that the family wont send him to a nursing home?
    Would appreciate candid replies....

jonna
    VOTE LABOUR!!

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well you did ask for a "Candid" reply...

Mary Harney has recognised that home based care is the way forward for all of our elderly and that nursing homes should be used only as a last resort. She has secured several millions in this year's budget to provide home care packages.

These packages should be coming on stream in the very near future. You should contact your local HSE office to get details. I have enquired here in Galway for a 90 year old grand aunt and I have been told that it will be a few weeks more before this scheme is available. You should check regularly with your local HSE office, first come etc......

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by candid
    Well you did ask for a "Candid" reply...

Mary Harney has recognised that home based care is the way forward for all of our elderly and that nursing homes should be used only as a last resort. She has secured several millions in this year's budget to provide home care packages.

These packages should be coming on stream in the very near future. You should contact your local HSE office to get details. I have enquired here in Galway for a 90 year old grand aunt and I have been told that it will be a few weeks more before this scheme is available. You should check regularly with your local HSE office, first come etc......
    Hi Candid..... Delighted at your reply... I got a good feeling from the fact that when I asked for a candid opinion, that the person who replied was you...Didn't expect that I would get a reply from someone who uses the word"candid" as a user name...It's brilliant!!
    I am hoping that a scheme will be available soon... I, ironically work for the HSE...I hope that the scheme will be realistic.. Presently.. The reality of the situation is that if this person needs 24/7 medical care..Then we are talking about having "live in" care... One live-in carer isn't enough..They will only work a 40 hour week which is completely reasonable as they have a life.. So to achieve 24/7 care, at least three people would need to be employed to cover shifts etc..At present it is very costly to employ one person (taking into account that the people involved are OAP's on medical cards) not to mention how much it would cost to employ three...I hope that the new scheme will take this into consideration.. To be honest I work for the HSE and none of my collegues, including myself are aware of this new scheme... None of us have been sent memo's about this or have been informed in anyway about this..And I work in the "care proffesion"... Would appreciate if you would send me links to this...
    Thanks for your reply.. It was helpful...Candid by name and candid in your post..

jonna
    VOTE LABOUR!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

These are only going to tender now, and they have only approved 400 home care packages, so I wouldn't expect any immediate assitance from these measures, jonna.
    The Beautiful Room - http://neilward.ie

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stretchneil
    These are only going to tender now, and they have only approved 400 home care packages, so I wouldn't expect any immediate assitance from these measures, jonna.
    Appreciate that this is only going to tender..All parties need to agree on a policy for the elderly.. Ours included...I know that there will not be any immediate assistance..When has our present Government acted inmmediately on issues that they knew were priority..Hospital beds?
    etc.......It is about time that we put aside polital differences and realise that on this particular issue ,that we all have one thing in common..We (regardless of party) are all getting older on a daily basis and we will all benifit from the decisions that are made today..If there is one issue that all parties agree on, this is certainly a contender..this has to be the one thing that everyone agrees on..

jonna
    VOTE LABOUR!!

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

HI Candid..Thanks for your links, they were helpful...When I started this thread I said that I had friends who had moved their parents in to their household...I will now come clean..I was referring to myself,my wife and children..We moved my parents into our house..I recognised that My father needed medical attention..My GP was called and admitted him to Clonmel hospital..The tests showed that he was riddled with Cancer..They gave him 5-6 months to live...The hospital felt that there was no more that they could do for him..My family with the permission of my mother admitted him into a nursing home which provided Palative care..He didn't last the 5-6 months and he died last week as I held his hand and watched his last breath leave him..Horrific experience,which I dont think I will get over or come to terms with..Nothing worse than seeing a man die in front of you..You can do nothing..You cant stop it..you fell completely useless..
    I tried to stop him dying..But was completely useless..
    Live your life guys..I have realised how fragile it is..Thanks to all who posted replies on this thread..Now I realise that my posting is irrelavant and I dont need any more information..

jonna
    VOTE LABOUR!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Can we have a discussion about the services provided by Home Care Companies and the service they provide.

The qualify of staff and the qualifications they are supposed to have.

Quote Originally Posted by hammer View Post
    Can we have a discussion about the services provided by Home Care Companies and the service they provide.

Joe Duffy has covered this topic recently. Basically leaves a lot to be desired. Very hard to get staff.

I have personal knowledge of a case where a young person was being offered a job as a carer - subject to references. The nicest word you could use about this young person was that he was SEPTIC! You truly wouldn't leave your cat with him for 2 minutes.

And he almost became a carer............very scary.
    The housing shortage is the rock on which Fine Gael will truly perish.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hammer View Post

Should we put it into regional newspapers and dress it up as real news stories as well?

Like the 2341 plan for deadlyness.
    Signatures are stoopid.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast