Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cycle to Work Scheme

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Cycle to Work Scheme

Sorry if this forum is not the correct one but I have searched some of the others and couldn't find anything on the story. Yesterday it was reported that the cycle to work scheme where tax incentives are given where an employer pays for a bike and accessories for employees. The scheme is on hold for fear that civil servants may bring claims against the employer.

I dont quite get this. Is it claims for accidents for coming to work if they were knocked down while on the bike? Is anyone else outraged about this? Where is the foundation for this? Anyone?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What is the legal position if a person is injured on a bicyle provied by his/her employer under this scheme?

I'm sure the Greens have thought this through and can explain it.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post
    What is the legal position if a person is injured on a bicyle provied by his/her employer under this scheme?

Same position as a company car I suppose, or injuries for any cyclist. It should not be the responsibility of the employer and any judge who fiunds against an empoloyer on any bogus claim submitted to the courts by such an employee, the judge should fine the employee for wasting court time.

It is not a compulsory scheme. The employer will not make the employee take up the offer of a bike so it should be on the employees head to get to work safely. If they are injured through no fault of their own i.e. hit by someone else, they should claim against that other person. Its not the employers fault.

From the article in the Indo yesterday it sounds like thisd is all about civil servants.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Seems some people are trying to ride the situation altogether!!

But I suspect its a cyclicle thing and the situation will return to normal soon enough.

Anyone who tries to claim compo is going to find thier expectations being deflated and hopefully will get tyred of the whole thing pretty quick
    The true "front line workers" are the private sector paye employees who are first to take the bullet. Cannon fodder for their state and the public sector.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wexfordman View Post
    Seems some people are trying to ride the situation altogether!!
    And saddle everybody else with the cost.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TradCat View Post
    And saddle everybody else with the cost.

Dam, missed that one, I should have spoke about it earlier
    The true "front line workers" are the private sector paye employees who are first to take the bullet. Cannon fodder for their state and the public sector.

GDPR Deleted
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I wonder how much they spent on the website . Anyways this link below provides clarification for some of the questions above.

Frequently Asked Questions | bikescheme.ie - cycle to work scheme

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I suspect a smokescreen.

The truth I'm sure is that not many employers, especially in large organisation like the public service, want to set up sections and units whose job it will be to buy bikes, helmets and puncture bleedin repair kits while there's real work to be done.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post

Im sure it's the same as the Cycle to Work scheme in the UK where many employers have taken it up. If they don't seem to have problems here in the UK then why would they have them in Ireland..
    Ireland interests are best secured within a more dynamic EU. Vote YES to Lisbon.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

this is a load of nonsense though. It's a very small scheme, very simple and easy to implement, takes up sh4g all time - YOU buy the bike yourself, no one is employed to buy it, all the employer does is process the thing and sort out the paperwork, which is minimal. As geraghd says, the UK have had it for years. It's like the car club idea, a huge success in Europe and the UK and now in Cork. It was halted in Dublin city for the same spurious "insurance issues". It's bullsh1t from a few lazy dinosaurs who just couldn't be ar5ed

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast