Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 141

Thread: Any remaining lingering doubts about Enda Kenny

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member west'sawake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    The West of Ireland
    Posts
    3,634
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Any remaining lingering doubts about Enda Kenny

    How many of us here who have written about the Enda Factor, without any ill intent, but only goodwill towards F.G, think it has been put to bed after his Ardfheis speech?

    Here's one who still remains unconvinced, that obamaesque cliche didn't help. I'll still vote for F.G in a General Election, just call me an accidental blueshirt, by default.
    Last edited by west'sawake; 6th April 2009 at 03:58 AM.

  2. #2

    Default

    OK, you're an "accidental blueshirt"

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    122
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    As a member of FG who started off party membership as an Enda-sceptic, I have to say I have been undeniably converted.

    I suppose it's fair to say my original dissatisfaction with him was purely down to cosmetics, in that I didn't take a particular warming to his media presence. As time has passed by I've become more appreciaitve of the fact that a good orator does not a leader make.

    To truly appreciate Enda's leadership qualities it's necessary to compare and contrast his leadership style with that of his opposite number, An Taoiseach. The autocratic approach of Mr.Cowen is certainly at odds with the Enda Kenny approach. Fans and defenders of Enda have spent the last few months trying to convey this leadership brand to those who dislike Kenny and in his speech last night he made clear the difference between himself and Cowen:
    When I took on the leadership of Fine Gael, the scale of the challenge was huge. Many said that the situation was hopeless, but I've worked hard, built solid foundations, picked a strong team and encouraged their creativity so that we could recover and grow. And we have.


    Many people view this current economic crisis as a hopless situation. Last night Enda's positive approach proved the he and indeed Fine Gael do not believe this situation is "hopeless", but that we can get through this together. As James Dillon once put it, "United we stand, divided we fall". This is as true for Ireland now as it is for Fine Gael, and a consolidated and coherent approach by all is needed to get us out of this mess in the next 5 years. Kenny will not take the "one man, my way or no way" approach of Brian Cowen. He will use his leadership qualities to delegate and manage the creativity we need to get ourselves back on track.

    I was quite anxious leading up to the speech last night bacause I, and others viewed this speech as Enda's final chance to expel the negativity felt towards him by significant minority of the Irish people. He delivered. The speech, whilst not remarkable hit the nail on the head. From conversing with people today, Fine Gaelers and otherwise, it is clear that people now accept that despite his faults and despite his personal satisfaction ratings, it is now his time. Those who still believe Cowen is still of a better ilk than Enda cannot truly believe that with conviction.

    The game is up. Change is needed and regardless of whether you think Kenny is good or not, he has shown himself to be the best leader in Leinster House by a long way. We don't need the personality of the year here. We need leadership. Where else are we going to get it?

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    34,366
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Default

    No, I'm not convinced. He's done great things for the party, that much is obvious. But he's done little else outside of that regrowth since.
    Happiness is a dry martini and a good woman … or a bad woman.
    –George Burns

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    122
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CookieMonster View Post
    No, I'm not convinced. He's done great things for the party, that much is obvious. But he's done little else outside of that regrowth since.
    Are you convinced by Cowen?

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    34,366
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyberspaced View Post
    Are you convinced by Cowen?
    Goodness no!
    I just don't see Enda Kenny not being Brian Cowen as being a good enough reason to vote for him.
    Happiness is a dry martini and a good woman … or a bad woman.
    –George Burns

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Coracium
    Posts
    1,235
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CookieMonster View Post
    Goodness no!
    I just don't see Enda Kenny not being Brian Cowen as being a good enough reason to vote for him.
    Does it taint one's view at all towards not voting for any of them in the light of this?

    Only 14 TDs opt for 10% pay cut | Irish Examiner

    Cos it has me sadly

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    122
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CookieMonster View Post
    Goodness no!
    I just don't see Enda Kenny not being Brian Cowen as being a good enough reason to vote for him.
    OK that's a fair point. Would you accept he'd be better than Cowen?

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member Almanac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Night of the Senses
    Posts
    3,180
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by west'sawake View Post
    How many of us here who have had written about the Enda Factor, without any ill intent, but only goodwill towards F.G, think it has been put to bed after his Ardfheis speech?

    Here's one who still remains unconvinced, that obamaesque cliche didn't help. I'll still vote for F.G in a General Election, just call me an accidental blueshirt, by default.
    The doubts are mostly being engineered by the media. You'd think there was something wrong with being a nice person or a decent man as if that's not exactly what the country needs (not that I have all that much faith in Kenny's inherent decentness, though I suspect he is a lot better than most around the Dail at the moment).

    Enda's supposed weaknesses have also been greatly exaggerated, manufactured even by the media mind-moulders. Look at Bertie Ahern. He was a stuttering, mumbling and inarticulate public speaker, something which never changed thoughout the course of his career, yet he is acclaimed as a great politician and leader.

    There was a good article in the Post on this subject today but it's not available online. Basically it said that Fine Gaelers still doubting Kenny need to snap out of it.

    Kenny is most definitely as good a leader as Bertie Ahern or Brian Cowen but that's not saying much in my opinion.

    The likes of Declan Ganley, considered just in terms of his natural aptitudes, stands head and shoulders above them. Gilmore ain't bad either.
    What shall it profit a man to gain the whole world and suffer the loss of his own soul?

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member west'sawake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    The West of Ireland
    Posts
    3,634
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Almanac View Post
    The doubts are mostly being engineered by the media. You'd think there was something wrong with being a nice person or a decent man as if that's not exactly what the country needs (not that I have all that much faith in Kenny's inherent decentness, though I suspect he is a lot better than most around the Dail at the moment).

    Enda's supposed weaknesses have also been greatly exaggerated, manufactured even by the media mind-moulders. Look at Bertie Ahern. He was a stuttering, mumbling and inarticulate public speaker, something which never changed thoughout the course of his career, yet he is acclaimed as a great politician and leader.

    There was a good article in the Post on this subject today but it's not available online. Basically it said that Fine Gaelers still doubting Kenny need to snap out of it.

    Kenny is most definitely as good a leader as Bertie Ahern or Brian Cowen but that's not saying much in my opinion.

    The likes of Declan Ganley, considered just in terms of his natural aptitudes, stands head and shoulders above them. Gilmore ain't bad either.

    Almanac,

    That last line is going to get you in bother, but ya know tis true, so here's another one in the firing line. You might get off the hook though with the compliment to Gilmore, you cute hoor.

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •