Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can your Irish passport be revoked?

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Can your Irish passport be revoked?

Hypothetical scenario;passport is up for renewal in a few years,living in another EU state,when I go to renew thru the Irish embassy,can I be refused a new passport?Or is it the case that once your born in Ireland you have it for life,regardless of what you do.I understand all the rhetoric of tax exiles ect,but lets say you owe revenue 100 quid are you screwed?I'm tax compliant by the way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cantenaccio View Post
    Hypothetical scenario;passport is up for renewal in a few years,living in another EU state,when I go to renew thru the Irish embassy,can I be refused a new passport?Or is it the case that once your born in Ireland you have it for life,regardless of what you do.I understand all the rhetoric of tax exiles ect,but lets say you owe revenue 100 quid are you screwed?I'm tax compliant by the way.
    Irish citizens have a constitutional right to a passport.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Your passport is the property of the Minister of Foreign Affairs and he certainly can withhold it from you for whatever reason. Of course you can then challenge that in the Courts. But I think being granted a passport is considered to be more a privilege of citizenship rather than an entitlement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by seabhcan View Post
    You have a right to travel, not too sure you have a right to a passport, in exact terms. However, it's not absolute. A court can order its surrender as part of bail conditions.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Not so. It is a privilege that comes with citizenship, not an entitlement e.g. the Minister could withhold a passport from a person whom he deems to be a danger to society so that he may be better monitored on home turf.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by corelli View Post
    You have a right to travel, not too sure you have a right to a passport, in exact terms. However, it's not absolute. A court can order its surrender as part of bail conditions.
    I might be wrong, but a court can't order its surrender. It can set surrender as a condition of bail, but you don't have to accept this condition. You can choose to go to jail instead of surrendering your passport.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I might be wrong, but a court can't order its surrender. It can set surrender as a condition of bail, but you don't have to accept this condition. You can choose to go to jail instead of surrendering your passport.
    Of course a Court could order its surrender, whats preventing it doing so? In any case an Irish passport is the property of the Minister of Foreign Affairs, not the holder of it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Our ability to leave the country rests in the gift of the Minister?

If you think that I recommend the fictional film on English government oppression now on TV3 V for Vendetta. Stephen Rea is one amongst an excellent cast.
    "It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If you are an Irish citizen but not born in Ireland and you relinquish your Irish citizenship for whatever reason you cannot reclaim it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by boolavogue View Post
    If you are an Irish citizen but not born in Ireland and you relinquish your Irish citizenship for whatever reason you cannot reclaim it.
    I believe this applies only to naturalized citizens, rather than those born abroad. Someone born to an Irish parent abroad is equal to someone born in Ireland to irish parents.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast