Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 36 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Raids on "Slab" Murphy's Property

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Raids on "Slab" Murphy's Property

I'm surprised nobody has started a thread on this topic. BreakingNews.ie

On Thursday the home of Thomas "Slab" Murphy, suspected former chief of staff of the IRA, was searched by the Gardaí and the PSNI, in a joint operation. His farm straddles the border.

Gardaí found (wait for it) 30,000 cigarettes, £200,000 in mixed curreny cash and 8,000 litres of fuel. All this along with four tankers, what is being described as "an oil laundering unit", and several laptops hidden in bales of hay.

They also picked up some guns and ammunition, but I haven't seen if they're owned legally or not.

Bizarrely, Gerry Adams has said that Murphy is "not a criminal" and is a "good republican". He said that smuggling was crime, but insisted that Murphy wasn't a criminal.

Republicans can at least relish that it was a cross-border initiave; a joint raid by the PSNI and Gardaí. This, combined with the Garda helicopter being permitted to cross the border recently, is another step towards breaking down the border.

Obviously we don't want to jump to conclusions, but it's pretty difficult not to, when you consider both the goods and the quantity of these goods. I understand he has a right to have all this, and that the burden of proof is on the Gardaí/PSNI, but can anyone think of any sort of reasonable explanation for all this?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: Raids on "Slab" Murphy's Property

It would be interesting to subject this to a cost-benefit analysis.

Given the massive economic resources devoted to the raid (OUR money, don't forget) will the future benefits justify it?
    We can turn the world around
    We can turn the earth's revolution
    We have the power
    People have the power ...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The report on Breaking News is not very clear about what was found in these searches on Slab's property and what they recovered elsewhere.
    IF YOU'RE LOOKING FOR A FIGHT, YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT SITE = P.ie - Brings out the worst in people!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abaddon
    The report on Breaking News is not very clear about what was found in these searches on Slab's property and what they recovered elsewhere.
    Any chance that there's a report that is? I'd like to read it.

This thread is misleading. Nothing was seized on Slabs Land. Also I think it is appalling that these allegations have been made for years and yet Mr Murphy has never been arrested, this is despite the fact that the Brits built a watch tower which monitors his house 24/7. all bullshit and unproven.
    Also I hear that the two laptops where infact very old PC's which had not worked in ages and where dumped in a shed.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brenners'
    This thread is misleading. Nothing was seized on Slabs Land. Also I think it is appalling that these allegations have been made for years and yet Mr Murphy has never been arrested, this is despite the fact that the Brits built a watch tower which monitors his house 24/7. all ******** and unproven.
    Also I hear that the two laptops where infact very old PC's which had not worked in ages and where dumped in a shed.
    Ah right, well you can forgive me for being misled, if that is the case. Does anyone have a comprehensive report?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I would be very surprised if they uncovered anything of worth(on Slab)....maybe a antique pen gun and the odd unusable gas pellet. Real career making stuff for the boys in blue. Plenty of monosyllable headlines for the sunday rag sheets.
    IF YOU'RE LOOKING FOR A FIGHT, YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT SITE = P.ie - Brings out the worst in people!

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Anyone notice that the Irish Times repeatedly referred to Slab as "former chief of staff" of the IRA? Other newspapers claim he still holds the position.

Have any media sources suggested who his replacement may be?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

8000 litres of fuel isn't that much. We have two tanks of red diesel at home, that would amount to quite a bit.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EastGalway
    Anyone notice that the Irish Times repeatedly referred to Slab as "former chief of staff" of the IRA? Other newspapers claim he still holds the position.

Have any media sources suggested who his replacement may be?
    I hear its Michael McDowell.

Page 1 of 36 1234511 ... LastLast