Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FAS CE Schemes Supervisors

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Question FAS CE Schemes Supervisors

Many of us are aware of the valuable contribution that FAS Community Employment schemes have brought to communities throughout the the country.

I know of at least three CE schemes where supervisors are still employed by FAS where these people have gone way past the statutory retirement age of 60 and 65. Infact I am aware of one supervisor in Co. Galway who is in his late 70's and still drawing a salary from FAS. I would like to ask the question why special provisions made by FAS to allow these people to comtinue on long after the Statutory Retirement Age?.

I would also like to know who appoints these supervisors and what qualifications you need to qualify.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jinx Lennon
    I pissed around for years, was a dead loss,
    I ended up in a place called Fas learning about fork lifts and inventory.
    On the last day the instructors told us they'd take us out for a feed of drink.
    "You're on the brink of success" they said "now lads" in a patronising voice.
    I knew I was going to be back in hole yeah, back on the dole yeah.
    From Song of the Day: City of Styrofoam Cups - Vox
    Please sign the petition to establish a national day of celebration in honour of the vision of the United Irishmen!
    United Irishmen Day Petition
    Skinflicks blog
    Rep abuse illustrated

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

" I would also like to know who appoints these supervisors and what qualifications you need to qualify. "
    Being a card carrying FF member is often sufficient.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jerryp View Post
    " I would also like to know who appoints these supervisors and what qualifications you need to qualify. "
    Definitely, or FG for that matter

They had a scheme fixing up houses round here for old people and the work they did was scandalous. the supervisor had no qualifications what so ever he was from\ up the road and to think that this person was teaching the FAS trainee's is just mindboggling. But he was in the job till he died.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

In the country areas we have the Rural Social Scheme instead (a pet scheme of Eamon O Cuiv's).
    Our local scheme is supervised by a man whose occupation is CE Supervisor; whatever the formal title that is his past-time which allows him to be active for FF - and harass the members of the local groups he belongs to.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

if my memory serves me correctly, I think that cllr maurice ahernes wife is a ce supervisor of some sort in swords castle......I imagine shes over 65.....

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by popular1 View Post
    Definitely, or FG for that matter

They had a scheme fixing up houses round here for old people and the work they did was scandalous. the supervisor had no qualifications what so ever he was from\ up the road and to think that this person was teaching the FAS trainee's is just mindboggling. But he was in the job till he died.
    That is my point, "No Qualifications" and probably in the pocket of the local FF TD.

Politics.ie Member louis bernard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jerryp View Post
    You have to “know someone”. This is Ireland after all.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

My original post questioned why FAS are permitting CE Supervisors to carry on working long after the statutory retirement age when these roles could be given to someone younger and more capable.

I think we need to tell Shane Ross about this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have applied for a number of these CE supervisor jobs that were advertised in the last 6 months, I have a MA in community Development and experience of managing staff and I haven't even been offered a single interview.
    Actual morality is doing what is right regardless of what you're told. Religious morality is doing what you're told, regardless of if it's right.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast