Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New car scrappage scheme to be announced: Indo

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default New car scrappage scheme to be announced: Indo

Allegedly a €2k scrappage allowance plus reduced car tax if you scrap yer auld banger for a new one - not that there is that many of them around for scrappage these days.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If that's true, it's a disgrace.

You can see why the taxi drivers are so up in arms with stuff like this. The little fish's tax money is being used to feed the big fish.
    Last edited by Factorem; 1st April 2009 at 12:09 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

DAFT!

Sure now with the NCT who drives that much of a banger anymore(cept my jelly tot infested child bus! of course!)

Why does he fec8kng drop VAT and persuade southern shoppers to stay at home!
    When a man sits with a pretty girl for an hour, it seems like a minute. But let him sit on a hot stove for a minute and it's longer than any hour. That's relativity.

ALBERT EINSTEIN

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Is there really need for a scrappage scheme. I know from checking the various outlets ie web-based, print and garages that there are PLENTY of bargains out there. The problem does appear however to be the fact that people don't have the money and banks etc.won't lend. I'm looking to change my 01 for a new one but can't get the loan, even my local CU have reduced the loan to share ratio.The scheme is welcomed I am sure but I believe its only tokenism.

The Green Party Don't Accept Corporate Donations.

THEY GIVE THEM

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's an attempt to give you an incentive to purchase a new car. It's also going to fail.
    Every one sees what you appear to be, few really know what you are, and those few dare not oppose themselves to the opinion of the many, who have the majesty of the state to defend them.

- Niccolò Machiavelli

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thats the problem, I want to buy a new one but can't get the loan. I'm sure there are a large % also in similar position to myself. I'll look at that 05 Skoda instead!

The Green Party Don't Accept Corporate Donations.

THEY GIVE THEM

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

well maybe i'm mad but i drive a ten year old car and have been waiting to see if this does come in before I buy. Know a few other people waiting for the same thing. Not everyone is driving a 2 year old car...2 grand off and reduced motor tax would push me towards a new motor as opposed to a second hand one...

only thing is where will the finance for the rest of it come from..

Politics.ie Member DeGaulle 2.0's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Surely the scrappage scheme should only apply if you buy a second-hand car - for example, if you replace your 12-year old car with a 2-year old car. This would be more environmentally friendly as it would not lead to the environmental damage involved in the manufacture of new cars. It would be symbolic also - we are not a "new car" country any more.
    Vive le Québec libre ! Ag beathú na dtochardán ón mbliain 2007.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Stupid idea. We don't produce cars in this country - so it won't help keep jobs.

What we do produce is houses. There should be a house scrappage scheme. Knock your old house down and get a stamp-duty free house in Athlone/Mulingar/Dundalk.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DeGaulle 2.0 View Post
    This would be more environmentally friendly as it would not lead to the environmental damage involved in the manufacture of new cars.

really really sick of the environment..and the green policies and the green effort like the 'switch the lights off' crap from last week..

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast