Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Happy Birthday GFA

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Happy Birthday GFA

Seven years ago today, the Good Friday Agreement was signed. Some parties to the agreement saw it as a chance to bed-down the peace process and others saw it as a way of copper-fastening the union. The Republican Movement claimed it was a deal that would see a united Ireland become a reality.

So, on it's sixth birthday, has it moved us closer to the holy grail? Is it showing signs that it could? If so, how much longer will it take?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Indeed happy birthday 6 years of peace, what a great day it was.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The peace process is older than the GFA, and could continue without the accord.

Quote Originally Posted by Carrier
    The peace process is older than the GFA, and could continue without the accord.
    You reckon? What is or was the "peace process" moving towards? I'd assume from its name, it'd have to some sort of agreed internal settlement within Northern Ireland. If not the GFA, then something very like the GFA. Otherwise I don't really see how you're going to have peace.
    Failed liberal traitors: http://cedarlounge.wordpress.com

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The peace process was leading up to the GFA, and it's working very well.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What is or was the "peace process" moving towards?
    Like I said in the opening post - the GFA, because of it's ambiguities, is seen by different groups as a process towards different things.

I'd assume from its name, it'd have to some sort of agreed internal settlement within Northern Ireland. If not the GFA, then something very like the GFA.
    I agree that the provisional leadership had an internal settlement along the lines of the GFA in mind throughout the peace process and it's build-up but that doesn't mean that the peace process couldn't remain in place beyond it. As it stands, very little of the GFA is in place and this shows no signs of changing - yet the cease-fires are holding. Do you think that if the GFA did totally collapse that the provisionals would go back to war? I think the apetite for conflict is gone from that organisation. Also, whose to say that it's demise wouldn't see the onset of a settlement that holds more for nationalists?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What would you change in a new deal?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The first thing I'd do would be make you High King of Ireland.

I'm a republican so I'd like to see a nation-wide vote on a united Ireland. I think the some positives could be taken from the GFA though. The Assembly could be retained as a regional parliament as part of a federal system. Some of it's mechanisms for cooperation between the British and Irish governments should also be retained.

I think the GFA's most important role will ultimately be that it has shown us that internal settlements don't work - because unionism will use their veto to pull them down if they contain any trace of green.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Would you recognise a vote of the 6 counties alone if it gave us a UI?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Would you recognise a vote of the 6 counties alone if it gave us a UI?
    I think the people of Ireland should vote as a single unit. However, if a partitionist vote led to this coming about then I wouldn't complain.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast