Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Reiki is dangerous and superstitious - says Catholic Church

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Reiki is dangerous and superstitious - says Catholic Church

In a document released March 25, the Committee on Doctrine of the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops blasted Reiki, a practice developed in Japan in the late nineteenth century that has gained acceptance in some Catholic retreat centers and other institutions.

After distinguishing between natural medicine and supernatural healing effected by Christ, the bishops conclude:

Reiki therapy finds no support either in the findings of natural science or in Christian belief. For a Catholic to believe in Reiki therapy presents insoluble problems. In terms of caring for one's physical health or the physical health of others, to employ a technique that has no scientific support (or even plausibility) is generally not prudent.
    Without justification either from Christian faith or natural science, however, a Catholic who puts his or her trust in Reiki would be operating in the realm of superstition, the no-man's-land that is neither faith nor science. Superstition corrupts one's worship of God by turning one's religious feeling and practice in a false direction.

The bishops add,
    “Some forms of Reiki teach of a need to appeal for the assistance of angelic beings or ‘Reiki spirit guides.’ This introduces the further danger of exposure to malevolent forces or powers.”
    Source & Links
    I watched with glee, while your kings and queens, fought for ten decades for the gods they made.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yoga and Taizé are more suitable

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Superstition? SUPERSTITION?? Isnt that what the Catholic Church is based on anyways?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Wasn't the Founder of Taizé a Protestant Calvinist pastor?
    I watched with glee, while your kings and queens, fought for ten decades for the gods they made.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Obviously getting on your knees and knocking a few sparks of your rosary beads is more effective, from a Catholic viewpoint!

Seriously though, reading between the, very convoluted, lines, it would appear that they are trying to discourage people using it as an alternative medicine rather than traditional scientifically based ones.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Seems to be a lot of directed Catholic-knocking going on here lately.

I myself would be wary even of yoga, let alone "reiki".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Vatican cautioned Roman Catholics that Eastern meditation practices such as Zen and Yoga can “degenerate into a cult of the body” that debases Christian prayer. “ The love of God, the sole object of Christian contemplation, is a reality which cannot be “mastered” by any method or technique”, said a document issued by the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith. [at that time under Cardinal Ratzinger now Pope BVI. No Christians, should not do Yoga because Yoga is part of a Religious system that is not compatible with Judeo-Christianity and mixing the two is Syncretism and the Catholic Church warns against that. !!!

Source

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Factorem wrote:
    Seems to be a lot of directed Catholic-knocking going on here lately.
    You're joking of course!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew49 View Post
    The Vatican cautioned Roman Catholics that Eastern meditation practices such as Zen and Yoga can “degenerate into a cult of the body” that debases Christian prayer. “ The love of God, the sole object of Christian contemplation, is a reality which cannot be “mastered” by any method or technique”, said a document issued by the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith. [at that time under Cardinal Ratzinger now Pope BVI. No Christians, should not do Yoga because Yoga is part of a Religious system that is not compatible with Judeo-Christianity and mixing the two is Syncretism and the Catholic Church warns against that. !!!

Source
    Shock horror!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew49 View Post
    ... the realm of superstition, the no-man's-land that is neither faith nor science.
    But it's okay for women, is it?

Superstition corrupts one's worship of God by turning one's religious feeling and practice in a false direction.
    Is that a fact? Begob, it's great to be informed about these things. I'd hate to think of the ignorance I'd be wallowing in if you hadn't told me.

Now I must repeat that quietly to myself, in case I forget it, like.

"Superstition corrupts one's worship of God..."
    15 Jan 2001 -- Fine Gael pledged to end fluoridation because of "serious health concerns".

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast