Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Council plans to introduce Polish road signs

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Council plans to introduce Polish road signs

SOME of Irelandís roads could soon feature signs in Polish and other languages in a bid to reduce road deaths.

Laois County Council has already contacted the Polish Embassy in Dublin regarding a plan to introduce road signs in the language for the benefit of drivers from the eastern European country.

The news came as the number of road traffic fatalities so far this year climbed to 71 including four killed in separate accidents on another black weekend.

The latest victim was a 20-year-old Dubliner, killed early yesterday in a single vehicle accident.

A member of Laois County Council's roads' division said the council was awaiting approval for the scheme.

However, the local authority has not decided which roads will feature the new signage or the proposed introduction date.

More than 120,000 Polish citizens have travelled to Ireland to live and work since accession to the European Union in 2004.
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/pport/web/ ... 4nqWo2.asp

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Good idea. Anything that makes road travel safer is worthwhile. We already have signs in Germany and French advising tourists to drive on the left side of the roads.

See on reason why Polish shouldn't be added to that list.
    "Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative."
    Oscar Wilde

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

No I think you should at least understand the language of the country you come to.
    I do believe its now needed but people should have to pass an english exam to get into the country.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cicero
    No I think you should at least understand the language of the country you come to.
    I do believe its now needed but people should have to pass an english exam to get into the country.
    Or an Irish exam, surely.

I know Irish people living in Austria without any German. Do you think this is also wrong?
    "Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative."
    Oscar Wilde

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'd love to know how they get by.

I have no objections to the plan in principle but I would be extremely sceptical that it is necessary or would do any good. Have any accidents been traced to a foreigner's not understanding the language on road signs?

I can't drive at all, but I've been a passenger in countries where the driver didn't speak the language and I don't recall us ever having difficulties. And there are many other countries with far more experience of foreigners than we have, and they don't seem to need multilingual road signs either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sounds a bit dumb! Most road signs are built around words but symbols anyway.

A driving test for each foreign national who wishes to drive on our roads should be compulsary!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's not the poles you need to worry about, it's the Latvians.
    Ever noticed how it's only on roads with nottalotta signs that there's accidents?
    Signs save lives, every day.
    grrrrr

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eurocrat
    Quote Originally Posted by cicero
    Or an Irish exam, surely.

I know Irish people living in Austria without any German. Do you think this is also wrong?
    English is a more common language than Polish.

Politics.ie Member FutureTaoiseach's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I don't really have an objection but I do object to the scarcity of Baltic road-signs, considering the propensity of Latvians killed in road-accidents.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast