Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fly Tipping

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Fly Tipping

First post, so here it goes.

Just heard about Fly Tipping on the last word, and I have to say, we do have a massive problem. On the N2 alone last night I counted 18 refuse sacks between the M50 and Ashbourne. And this apart from the general litter.

I cycle a lot on rural roads and so have time to see places where rubbish is hidden.

So what can be done. There was talks about a compulsory tax on bin charges.

Now I think anything should be cost neutral. So if you take it that every home needs to dispose of waste, then they need to pay for it.

So we need a system where its possible for the state to verify that each home is disposing of waste legally. This is complicated by the different types of collection such a council, private, bin tags etc.

Perhap a central database where waste operators log each home that has paid for their waste.
    Then a seperate system where bin tags have a seperate peel off that they are required to keep for possible inspection.

This is a bit nanny state, but I dont think we can rely on all the people do the right thing.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Good post, Huge problem too around the Curragh near where i live and on the M7 plus the approach roads to Kildare town. I'd love to be a litter warden(no where near enough of these!!) and catch these scumbags in the act. More litter wardens would easily pay for themselves given the scale of this problem countrywide.

The worst type of fly tipping though is the morons who dump into rivers and on beachs. That kind of thing kills wildlife directly through choking and contamination, particualary the plastic elements. No wonder the worlds oceans now have 40 thousand separate pieces of waste plastic per square kilometer of water

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Moan View Post
    First post, so here it goes.

Just heard about Fly Tipping on the last word, and I have to say, we do have a massive problem. On the N2 alone last night I counted 18 refuse sacks between the M50 and Ashbourne. And this apart from the general litter.

I cycle a lot on rural roads and so have time to see places where rubbish is hidden.

So what can be done. There was talks about a compulsory tax on bin charges.

Now I think anything should be cost neutral. So if you take it that every home needs to dispose of waste, then they need to pay for it.

So we need a system where its possible for the state to verify that each home is disposing of waste legally. This is complicated by the different types of collection such a council, private, bin tags etc.

Perhap a central database where waste operators log each home that has paid for their waste.
    Then a seperate system where bin tags have a seperate peel off that they are required to keep for possible inspection.

This is a bit nanny state, but I dont think we can rely on all the people do the right thing.
    Welcome Moan, to the mysterious and sometimes bizarre world of Politics.ie
    The problem of fly tipping was forecast to get worse when the bin tax was introduced. That's not to excuse it of course.
    Last edited by eamo; 30th March 2009 at 10:06 PM. Reason: bizarre spelling

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Noticed it alright. Makes the country look sh**e to tourists

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

and can be dangerous to livestock

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If the revenue commissioners names tax defaulters, then it is time for the various local authorities in the country to name those guilty of fly tipping if they can be identified

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jayblue View Post
    If the revenue commissioners names tax defaulters, then it is time for the various local authorities in the country to name those guilty of fly tipping if they can be identified
    They do, it featured on Talk to Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Simple solution:

€10,000 fine for fly tipping

Put a few number plate cameras on the roads near where fly tipping occurs

Investigate the new rubbish, you'll find bills in it, correlate the billing address to the number plates that went by

That should be an adequate standard of proof

cYp
    "Yawn , am I alive yet ?"

birthday

What are the fines and penalties?
    What are the chances of getting caught, realistically?
    An alternative to fly tipping is backyard burning which I understand is very prevalent and releases high quantities of dioxins from the burning of plastics at low temperatures.

From direct personal experience I can state that my local authoritity did not want to know when they are contacted about backyard burning. I would suggest employing ex-Latvian army litter wardens to bring about a culture change on fly tipping and backyard burning.

Politics.ie Member Victor Meldrew's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Welcome Moan,

I passed a load of clothes strewn down a lane on the N11 just south of Foxrock church today, so it's not just a rural / deprived area issue.

Litter annoys the hell out of me. I am very careful about how I dispose of stuff.

If ever there was a crime that merits chain-gangs and public naming, this is it.

Not sure how you make it socially unacceptable as the perpetrators are basically sociopaths.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast