Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Surviving 1916 veterans?

Politics.ie Member FutureTaoiseach's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Surviving 1916 veterans?

Are there any surviving 1916 veterans? Willie O'Dea is quoted in the Irish Times today as saying he doesn't know. Do you?

If there are, he/she/they should play a part in the commemorations this year.

No, my Great-Grandparents were actually at the football match in Croke Park when the Black n Tans came in and killed some of the supporters and one of the players though. My Great-Grandparents were on their honeymoon- which shows you how poor most of us we were at the time.

Politics.ie Member FutureTaoiseach's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Maybe others know of survivors. You are right by the way about how poor we were after 700 years of foreign rule.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Any survivor capable of remembering it would have to be at least 106 years old (in order to have been 16 when it happened).
    There are plenty of people whose father/grandfather was in the GPO then though

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I recently interviewed a War of Independence veteran (104). He was in limerick when the rising took place. There was a great stir around the city with rumours of somthing going on in Dublin. I very much doubt that there are any actual veterans of the rising left though. I think that WOI vets are fairly thin on the ground.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by krayZpaving
    There are plenty of people whose father/grandfather was in the GPO then though
    Tom Barry gives a good account of that saying that the GPO was too small to hold all those who claimed to have fought in it. A bit like the swelled ranks of PSF.
    All great truths begin as blasphemies!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FutureTaoiseach
    Maybe others know of survivors. You are right by the way about how poor we were after 700 years of foreign rule.
    yeah, its terrible alright. And meantime working class English people would honeymoon in the Sechelles and hit Ibiza every summer back in 1920. :x

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You are right by the way about how poor we were after 700 years of foreign rule.
    The fact that Ireland was, in 1916, among the wealthiest countries in Europe (and, by extension, the world) wouldn't interfere with your prejudices, would it? GDP per capita at the time was about 60% of that of the UK, but way ahead of most other countries.

Isn't it great to have someone to blame for your inadequacies, though? Especially when they're foreign.
    "All employment is outright robbery" says Cael, the voice of reason

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: Surviving 1916 veterans?

Are there any surviving 1916 veterans? Willie O'Dea is quoted in the Irish Times today as saying he doesn't know. Do you?

If there are, he/she/they should play a part in the commemorations this year.
    I'm sure there are a few veterans of '16 in RSF's youth wing.
    Meon na saoirse.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

[quote="sean1"]No, my Great-Grandparents were actually at the football match in Croke Park when the Black n Tans came in and killed some of the supporters and one of the players though. My Great-Grandparents were on their honeymoon- which shows you how poor most of us we were at the time.[/quote]

No sean your grandad had his priorities right.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast