Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Should FF General Secretary Sean Dorgan be fired?

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Should FF General Secretary Sean Dorgan be fired?

I think as FF faces one of its most difficult elections in june FF General Secretary Sean Dorgan should be fired for the state of the party at grass roots level.

The hole local elections for FF is in a mess,with problems all over the country,
    some areas have no FF candidates,how can we hold seats if we have no one to defend them, and where is our General Secretary but in Washington,lots of votes for us there?! He should be here trying to fix some of the problems.

In 2004 we lost 80 seats ,I am afraid at how many we will lose in june,but you would think the party would fight ? I guess not under DORGAN HE SHOULD GO NOW NOT JUNE 7.

Quote Originally Posted by edj007ie View Post
    I think as FF faces one of its most difficult elections in june FF General Secretary Sean Dorgan should be fired for the state of the party at grass roots level.

The hole local elections for FF is in a mess,with problems all over the country,
    some areas have no FF candidates,how can we hold seats if we have no one to defend them, and where is our General Secretary but in Washington,lots of votes for us there?! He should be here trying to fix some of the problems.

In 2004 we lost 80 seats ,I am afraid at how many we will lose in june,but you would think the party would fight ? I guess not under DORGAN HE SHOULD GO NOW NOT JUNE 7.
    Absolutely. Now is the time for them to change the personnel in such a role. It's late March, if they did it quickly they could have the new man/woman in place by early May, plenty of time to learn what's involved in on-the-job training - after all, it's not like they'll be busy in HQ around that time, is it?

Arf arf!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It does seem bizarre that FF have yet to select candidates in vast swathes of the country

It does seem even more bizzare that people would put themselves forward as FF candidates....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Many candidates will be chosen, and are chosen according to their work-ethic i.e. their canvassing.

Perhaps in some constituencies where there are one or two contenders for only one spot on the ticket this encourages both proespective candidates to be out there canvassing now ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by revereie View Post
    Many candidates will be chosen, and are chosen according to their work-ethic i.e. their canvassing.

Perhaps in some constituencies where there are one or two contenders for only one spot on the ticket this encourages both proespective candidates to be out there canvassing now ?
    How do you explain the effect of the interview strategy in Offaly? An FF town councillor has quit to run as an indo, as has the constituency secretary and another member - and that's just the Edenderry LEA.

It doesn't look good when the Taoiseach's backyard isn't towing the line.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

are you for real??

"HI. im canvassing for the local elections for Fianna Fail. im not actually a candidate yet (and i may not ever be a candidate), but if i make a good impression on you, will you please ring HQ and tell them how good i am at canvassing?"

jesus wept!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Many candidates will be chosen, and are chosen according to their work-ethic i.e. their canvassing
    I can think of two former FF Councillors, who lost out narrowly in 2004, who have been shafted by this process and told their services are not required. Neither men are of retirement age.

If what you say is true, then why would FF be refusing nominations to people with strong electoral records, who happened to lose out because of the dismal FF performance nationally (which was not their own fault per sé)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm not saying this is the sole requirement (to be seen to be active) but I know from experience that candidates do compete to get on the 'ticket' and I have heard of (but admittedly have never seen) polls done to test name-recognition - one way to boost this is to canvass.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm not saying this is the sole requirement (to be seen to be active) but I know from experience that candidates do compete to get on the 'ticket' and I have heard of (but admittedly have never seen) polls done to test name-recognition - one way to boost this is to canvass.
    Ok, so I take it that this rules Maurice Ahern out of the running for the by-election then? (and the City council election)

The guy didn't do a tap of canvassing between 1999 and the day Tony Gregory died

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast