Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time to tackle the Compo Cheats?

Politics.ie Royalty toxic avenger's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Time to tackle the Compo Cheats?

This can't be justified, surely?:

LOCAL authorities have paid out a staggering €145 million in compensation since 2000 with millions of euro still outstanding in pending claims.

Dublin City Council tops the list as the compo capital having paid out a whopping €46.3m on some 10,891 claims in eight years.

The total figure of €145m paid out by councils does not include legal costs, which runs into millions.

No details as to the nature of the claims were released.

According to figures released to the Irish Examiner under Freedom of Information, 1,012 compensation claims were issued against Dublin City Council in the first 11 months of 2008 alone.

To date, 620 of these have been settled at a cost of more than e5.8m. A further 694 compensation claims remain outstanding.

Since 2000, Cork City Council has paid out e17.8m on foot of 2,569 claims.

Last year, the council received 182 claims and had to fork out more than e2.4m. This is the highest figure since 2000 when 464 cases were dealt with, when the total value of the compensation payouts was just over e2m.
    It is possible that every single case there is on the level, and every cent deserved, but I somehow doubt it. Isn't it true that Ireland's 'compo culture' is a national embarrassment? We must all know someone who makes sure that if there's a buck to be made, no matter how immoral to do so, will claim off anyone and everyone for any and every reason. Is there a legislative change that can be made to tackle the seedier side of the compensation process without penalising the bona fide cases?

Councils pay out ?145m in compo | Irish Examiner

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Missed their editorial, on the same subject:
    We all know that a very good proportion of the claims are less than honest. Of course there are genuine cases of hardship brought about by the neglect and these must be resolved fairly. Sadly, the genuine claimant sometimes falls under a cloud of suspicion because of the very many rogue claimants.

However, there are those who regard the slightest accident or slight as the opportunity of turning a molehill into a mountain of cash.

This opportunism is encouraged by a culture of acceptance; we turn a blind eye and pretend that this is a victimless pursuit of opportunity and that there is no theft involved. This is the kind of dishonesty Transparency International warned of earlier this month when they reported that Ireland had a particularly high level of “legal corruption”.

If our straitened times force local authorities, and all other entities so threatened, to defend these actions more vigorously, it would be a positive consequence.

Of course the more basic problem is much more deeply rooted — in our tacit acceptance of dishonesty in its many manifestations.
    Irish Examiner | Irish News | News from Ireland

Isn't that the truth? Our culture is a fundamentally bent one, relative to the rest of Western Europe? Are we even capable of changing?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The personal injury assessment board styrtem encourage seculative claims. But unless you saying the council's counsel are incompetent, and that the vast majority of claimants are criminals, this is not a major problem anymore.However the ahern era was full of compensation, redress and scrappage schemes. Disturbance money and benchmarking became acceptable practices. It did become the norm, but it was not just a working class issue.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by toxic avenger View Post
    This can't be justified, surely?:

It is possible that every single case there is on the level, and every cent deserved, but I somehow doubt it. Isn't it true that Ireland's 'compo culture' is a national embarrassment? We must all know someone who makes sure that if there's a buck to be made, no matter how immoral to do so, will claim off anyone and everyone for any and every reason. Is there a legislative change that can be made to tackle the seedier side of the compensation process without penalising the bona fide cases?

Councils pay out ?145m in compo | Irish Examiner
    I think the majority of the blame for this nonsense lies with the judiciary. Some of the judgements that I have heard about (eg: child falls off wall breaks both legs, sues the council, wins 50 grand) have been ludicrous.

The liability for anything that happens on public property seems to be automatically assumed to be with the local authority regardless of how much the actions of the 'injured party' contributed towards their own misfortune.

If there is a crack in the footpath and you trip over it, you should have been watching where you were going!

If your child hurts himself because he was jumping off the top of a swing frame, it's his own damn fault and your own for not watching him/teaching him some common sense.

By the way, The reason this issue gets to me so much, is not just because of the pay outs to individual chancers, but because it is a huge discouragement for the council to provide public facilities if they think they're only going to get sued every time someone grazes a knee or snags a cardigan. The costs of insurance for any public event become prohibitive and the red tape before any festival or community gathering discourages people from getting involved.
    This combination of individual stupidity and greed harms everyone in ways we can't even see until we visit continental europe and see all the nice things that they have that we don't
    Last edited by Akrasia; 16th March 2009 at 10:55 AM.
    Actual morality is doing what is right regardless of what you're told. Religious morality is doing what you're told, regardless of if it's right.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Question R24U View Post
    The personal injury assessment board styrtem encourage seculative claims. But unless you saying the council's counsel are incompetent, and that the vast majority of claimants are criminals, this is not a major problem anymore.However the ahern era was full of compensation, redress and scrappage schemes. Disturbance money and benchmarking became acceptable practices. It did become the norm, but it was not just a working class issue.
    I'd say an awful lot of the claimants are at least immoral, now hearing 'kerching!' sounds if they get their hair wet on council-maintained property. I know people like that, they're the first ones to tell you that you should sue if you sprain an ankle, surely you and everyone here does too. In my view, unless it's a bit more serious than that, it's immoral and reprehensible. I believe a culture of Del-boy style spivvery exists, the 'looking for banana skins to slip on' thing. You're right about the buy everyone's vote profligacy under Ahern, but I'm here focused on the moral responsibility of individuals in these things.

I believe that councils have been acquiescing because of permissive precedents that have made it almost routine for applicants to get 'redress', and that a fair proportion of claimants are indeed money-grabbing chancers. Ireland is one of the most litigious countries on Earth, and all because of this sick culture. I didn't say it was just a working-class issue at any point, in fact the people I know who are like that are mostly pretty comfortably off already. It's time that this issue was tackled, we can't afford this maggotry any more.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes, there are some right spivs and chancers making spurious compensation claims alright...

Tuesday, October 22, 2002 :
    Estate agent explains Jackson Way valuation

JACKSON Way Properties valued their massive compensation claim against the State on the basis that the last section of the M50 motorway cut their lands off from the upmarket Foxrock neighbourhood of south Co Dublin.

Valuer John Morley, a director of estate agents Hamilton Osborne King, told the arbitration hearing into the disputed €47 million claim that equivalent lands in neighbouring Foxrock were worth €600,000 per acre.

He said it was normal to value lands based on their development potential rather than to stick strictly to the existing zoning. In Jackson Way's case the existing zoning was mainly agricultural, with a small portion of industrial, both worth a great deal less than residential land.

(The Supreme Court last month threw out JWP's request to block CAB from sueing them for "corrupt enrichment". It will be interesting to see the case against them unfold over the coming months)
    “A healthy social life is found only, when in the mirror of each soul the whole community finds its reflection, and when in the whole community the virtue of each one is living” R. Steiner

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by yehbut_nobut View Post
    Yes, there are some right spivs and chancers making spurious compensation claims alright...

(The Supreme Court last month threw out JWP's request to block CAB from sueing them for "corrupt enrichment". It will be interesting to see the case against them unfold over the coming months)
    Well, quite! The difference being that the people involved there want to be paid squillions without even the judge knowing who they are (Jim Kennedy is shy you see)...

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Question R24U View Post
    The personal injury assessment board styrtem encourage seculative claims.
    One of us is seriously misled.

My understanding of the PIAB is that the only relevant cases are where nobody contests that the plaintiff was genuinely injured, and that the defendant is at fault.

In a speculative case, the defendant, almost by definition, does NOT accept liability, and therefore the PIAB defers to the courts.
    When you see the words "Mises" or "Hayek" in someone's post, just ask yourself: do I really want to ban paper money and go back to gold?

You have to pity the kind of people who buy into conspiracy theories. I find the following to be the saddest words on the internet: "Re: connection between Bilderberg puppet lady gaga and viral outbreak in ukraine "

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

there are some experts at claiming, how many are never caught out ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast