Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 55

Thread: Is Ireland capable of self-government?

  1. #1
    birthday
    Guest

    Default Is Ireland capable of self-government?

    What is proposed is that Ireland becomes a protectorate of the European Union for a period of 70-100 years. A Secretariat composed of current parliamentarians and Civil servants from Germany and the Nordic EU countries would carry out the functions of Government with recourse to the European Commission/Parliament as required. Local issues such as Arts, Culture, Irish Language, Inland Fisheries and Postage Stamp design could remain under the control of Dáil Eireann.

    The evidence of the last 87 years suggests that we have only survived as a result of periodic mass emigration in spite of having avoided many of the calamities that the rest of Europe endured in this period. Our current economic situation indicates that we will be returning to this over the next 20 years. Are we really mature enough to govern ourselves given our history as a colony and our rather unsuccessful post-colonial experience to date?

    The gombeenism and greed in the political establishment (especially Fianna Fáil), IBEC, Business and Professional classes, Trade Unions and all the interest groups that have persistently pursued their narrow self-interests at the expense of the common and long-term good of the state would be temporarily taken out of the equation albeit for some considerable time. Professional administrators without local bias would run the state for the time period mentioned above.
    There is nothing to be ashamed of in all of this. Local issues such as Art, Culture, Tourism, Irish Language, Inland Fisheries and Postage Stamp design could remain under the control of Dáil Eireann.
    At the end of this period we would emerge a stronger, mature nation able and deserving of self-respect and international respect.

    The success of this transitional model could become a beacon for other post-colonial countries such as Nigeria, Zimbabwe.

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by birthday View Post
    What is proposed is that Ireland becomes a protectorate of the European Union for a period of 70-100 years. A Secretariat composed of current parliamentarians and Civil servants from Germany and the Nordic EU countries would carry out the functions of Government with recourse to the European Commission/Parliament as required. Local issues such as Arts, Culture, Irish Language, Inland Fisheries and Postage Stamp design could remain under the control of Dáil Eireann.

    The evidence of the last 87 years suggests that we have only survived as a result of periodic mass emigration in spite of having avoided many of the calamities that the rest of Europe endured in this period. Our current economic situation indicates that we will be returning to this over the next 20 years. Are we really mature enough to govern ourselves given our history as a colony and our rather unsuccessful post-colonial experience to date?

    The gombeenism and greed in the political establishment (especially Fianna Fáil), IBEC, Business and Professional classes, Trade Unions and all the interest groups that have persistently pursued their narrow self-interests at the expense of the common and long-term good of the state would be temporarily taken out of the equation albeit for some considerable time. Professional administrators without local bias would run the state for the time period mentioned above.
    There is nothing to be ashamed of in all of this. Local issues such as Art, Culture, Tourism, Irish Language, Inland Fisheries and Postage Stamp design could remain under the control of Dáil Eireann.
    At the end of this period we would emerge a stronger, mature nation able and deserving of self-respect and international respect.

    The success of this transitional model could become a beacon for other post-colonial countries such as Nigeria, Zimbabwe.
    Sounds cool,apart from the Irish Language,I'd hand that over to the Welsh Assembly.They seem to be good at that.Where do I sign?

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Armagh
    Posts
    2,104
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Typical slave mentality.

    Ofcourse Ireland can run its own affairs,stop looking around for mummy and get on with it.
    Abstinence makes the Church grow fondlers.

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Newbie
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    66
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    To be honest:
    There's not much of a choice involved from here. Ireland will run out of money at some stage in the next year or so. I don't think we will be allowed to go bust. But I couldn't guess the shape of the bail out.

    Is it possible Britain will be the white knight and not Europe (too burdened down by Central & Eastern European issues to bail out Ireland)? Or if not a direct bail out, Ireland still ends up with a currency pegged to Sterling rather than the Euro. Back to the future.

    The only thing that I can see saving Ireland from a serious crisis at this point is if serious inflation kicks in.
    Last edited by Nils; 14th March 2009 at 03:20 AM.

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    350
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Sad to say, I have to agree with this. Unless Ireland can quickly (within the next couple of years) be seen to pull itself out of this mess (created by those listed), then what other option would we have?

    It's very sad though. Its not what our forefathers and mothers fought for.
    "To be is to do"-Socrates; "To do is to be"-Sartre; "Do Be Do Be Do"-Sinatra

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    178
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    You're having a laugh to stir some debate are you not?

    as in, you're not being serious? to do such would be a slap in the face to all who gave their lives in a long and bloody struggle for the right to elect members to our own Parliament and decide our own laws! Ludicrous idea!

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    121
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    [QUOTE=birthday;1493940]The evidence of the last 87 years suggests that we have only survived as a result of periodic mass emigration in spite of having avoided many of the calamities that the rest of Europe endured in this period. Our current economic situation indicates that we will be returning to this over the next 20 years.[QUOTE]

    Your suggested remedy has never actually occured to me as such, but your analysis as quoted above chimes remarkably well with my depressing study of post-Independence history. The deeper one goes into its innards (so to speak) the more vomitous it seems to become. The fact of corruption (though never as nakedly financial as in recent decades) seems the only constant... that and the contempt for Joe & Josephine Public.

    No doubt you'll get some mouth-foaming reactions to this post, but as I say your analysis seems pretty spot on. It would be food for thought except that, if they knew our history too, no suitable or self-respecting mainland managerial folk would touch us with a bargepole. Most of them seized the opportunity for basic reform of their own countries at the end of WWII: they've moved on to the present. We're still a gombeen nation, and as of now there seems little or no hope that we'll ever change.

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    350
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Might be worth running a poll on this one?
    "To be is to do"-Socrates; "To do is to be"-Sartre; "Do Be Do Be Do"-Sinatra

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Anywhere bar here
    Posts
    500
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by peadarmc View Post
    You're having a laugh to stir some debate are you not?

    as in, you're not being serious? to do such would be a slap in the face to all who gave their lives in a long and bloody struggle for the right to elect members to our own Parliament and decide our own laws! Ludicrous idea!
    Well said. These pessimistic, woe is me clowns are really starting to get on my nerves. Yeah we are going through a tough period but it is nothing compared to what our forefathers went through. We will get through this, albeit with a few scars, and we will rise again. Such is life.

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Newbie
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    66
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gruffalo View Post
    Well said. These pessimistic, woe is me clowns are really starting to get on my nerves. Yeah we are going through a tough period but it is nothing compared to what our forefathers went through. We will get through this, albeit with a few scars, and we will rise again. Such is life.
    The problem might be: what if the numbers don't stack up for that sort of rhetoric to walk?
    As far as I know the figures are something along the lines of Ireland spending 55bn a year with 30-odd billion income. How long can these type of figures continue without somebody owning a bit of you?

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •