Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Social welfare at risk?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Social welfare at risk?

Just watching Vincent Browne now.. He keeps mentioning that the social welfare fund is about to collapse...does anyone know any more?

I'm not on social welfare myself, but I am just wondering what are the implications for the country? Will that mean even more borrowing?

It just gets worse and worse.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Dont worry , the imf/eu wont let us sink .surely?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

They said on the show at the current rate it would be bust by the end of 2009...I am assuming thats a best case scenario like most government estimates these days, and in reality it will be out of funds by late Summer...what then?? borrow again?

Surely we can't keep borrowing? If we end up 100 billion, 200 billion in debt, does it mean the country will officially become a basket case.

I just don't understand how the country is broke and yet there are still golden handshakes for the big boys in politics and the wider public sector. It's like stealing the China on the Titanic before it sinks, these people have no class, morals, principles or patriotism. Get as much money as possible out of the state before it goes under seems to be the goal.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

They will have to try and get it off the taxpayer or the Bond market Ponzi scheme
    A champion of the people emerges with the age-old and appealing promise of "something for nothing" - to be financed through every-increasing taxes. Supply and demand are thrown out of gear - the overhead goes up; the effective use of human energy goes down; the standard of living is lowered because money cannot buy wealth that is not produced.

WEAVER, HENRY GRADY,

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You certainly dont want to be upsetting the 'underclass ' at this juncture in history. It will have to be borrowed.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stewiegriffin View Post
    You certainly dont want to be upsetting the 'underclass ' at this juncture in history. It will have to be borrowed.
    And who exactly going to be lending it to us?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Good question .

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Social welfare is running at 20 billion plus. It needs slashed. The dole here is four times the Northern equivalent. I know some genuinely needy people will be hurt, but that gap has to be closed.
    I'm not saying the tax-dodging gombeen kleptocracy shouldn't be paying too. I fervently hope to see property tax loops closed, stud farms taxed, a third tax band for higher earners and jail for corrupt politicians and bankers.
    But I am also saying that we have an unsustainable social welfare bill, and we need to be thinking of firstly eradicating nonsenses like paying for kids in Poland, secondly reducing the welfare rates to a more affordable level and thirdly capping the time one can spend in receipt of the dole.
    It is, after all, intended to be a support measure for those who find themselves without employment. The idea is that you use it to support yourself while seeking work. It was never intended to be a lifestyle choice for an underclass.
    Please sign the petition to establish a national day of celebration in honour of the vision of the United Irishmen!
    United Irishmen Day Petition
    Skinflicks blog
    Rep abuse illustrated

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

But what are the other social provisions like in the UK ? I heard that social housing and health are better . Is that true ?
    Cos if people only had a roof over their head , they would be less demanding on the state .imo.Im thinkin mainly of people on rent allowance , feeding private landlords.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast