Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The GAA and "The Ban" [Rule 27]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default The GAA and "The Ban" [Rule 27]

GAA History

In 1902 Rule 27 was passed. It read "any member of the association who plays or encourages in any way rugby, football, hockey or any imported game which is calculated or injuriously affect our national pastimes, is suspended from the association." It was deleted in 1971.
    Does anyone know what the total vote in favour of deleting the Rule was? And how many voted against?

Douglas Hyde was kicked out of the GAA in 1938 for attending an international soccer match. Waterford hurler Tom Cheasty received a six month ban in 1963 for attending a dance organised by a soccer club. Are there other examples?
    Last edited by diy01; 11th March 2009 at 03:43 AM.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by diy01 View Post

Supposedly Douglas Hyde was kicked out of the GAA in 1938 for attending an international soccer match. Waterford hurler Tom Cheasty received a six month ban in 1963 for attending a dance organised by a soccer club. Are there other examples?
    Nothing supposed about the Douglas Hyde story. As President of the Republic he was granted honorary membership of the GAA. He was invited to Dalymount as a guest of the FAI, went, and was found to be in breach of the rule and expelled from the organisation.

Liam Brady was expelled from a Christian Brothers school for representing Ireland in an underage football game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Amazed that the rule remained until 1971!

The vote on Rule 42 was 227 in favour. 97 against. As with Rule 21, most of the Ulster counties voted against.

I'm trying to find out how many voted for and against the removal of Rule 27.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The vote on Rule 42 was 227 in favour. 97 against. As with Rule 21, most of the Ulster counties voted against.

I'm trying to find out how many voted for and against the removal of Rule 27.
    I have no idea, the GAA don't archive annual reports online from those days.

queries@gaa.ie

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I am not sure that there was a formal division on the motion to remove the ban. I know that Antrim and Mayo wanted the rule retained but I think that the then President, Pat Fanning, arranged for a formal proposal and secondment and the motion was carried without a debate.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Only Down, of the counties of Northern Ireland, mandated their representatives at Congress to vote to delete rule 21. All of the counties of Northern Ireland mandated their delegates to vote against the relaxation of rule 42. As for rule 27, only Antrim, of the counties of Northern Ireland, mandated their delegates to vote to retain Rule 27.
    Last edited by Glennshane; 20th March 2009 at 11:59 PM. Reason: Correction of facts.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Just a nugget of info I have relevant to this thread.

In 1912 there was a dispute within the London GAA over the removal of rule 27. Michael Collins, a member at the time, was in favour of retaining it.

(I recall reading this in Michael Collins, A Biography by Tim Pat Coogan many years ago so may not have the exact details. But I do remember being very disappointed to learn that Michael Collins was a GAA Fascist.)

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

GAA History

Does anyone know what the total vote in favour of deleting the Rule was? And how many voted against?

Douglas Hyde was kicked out of the GAA in 1938 for attending an international soccer match. Waterford hurler Tom Cheasty received a six month ban in 1963 for attending a dance organised by a soccer club. Are there other examples?

What about if someone rode a bicycle or ran or went ice skating or played ping-pong? Where does the madness end ?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The_SR View Post
    Liam Brady was expelled from a Christian Brothers school for representing Ireland in an underage football game.
    Eamon Dunphy, co-panelist to Liam Brady, has confirmed this.

His exact quote, "Liam Brady was expelled 6 weeks before his inter cert because he wouldn't play a friendly Gaelic match for the Christian Brothers and chose to play for Ireland's international soccer team, out the door 6 weeks before his inter cert and that was in the mid 1970s".

(I believe Dunphy has mentioned this in his book "The Rocky Road").

Dunphy also made references to Dublin GAA players wearing scarves over their faces when attending Tolka park due to the possibility of being spotted and banned for life from the GAA for attending a soccer match.

(Source: Interview on RTE1's "Today" show on date of this post).

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have just picked up that Jack Lynch was suspended from the GAA for going to see his brother play in a rugby match. This article from 1971 has more.

The Ban, forbidding association with the British, may be - 04.12.71 - SI Vault

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast