Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: JP McManus on economy

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default JP McManus on economy

From Sunday Indo: One of the country's most successful businessmen, JP McManus, believes the Taoiseach Brian Cowen he should be given a chance to get Ireland out of the current economic slump. "I think we are in good hands and we will leave it to them," Mr McManus said in Limerick yesterday.

Who are "We". He's a tax exile so who's hands is he in ? Gombeens in Limerick treat this guy like a hero because he throws a few quid at the county...just not his income tax.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by diablo View Post
    From Sunday Indo: One of the country's most successful businessmen, JP McManus, believes the Taoiseach Brian Cowen he should be given a chance to get Ireland out of the current economic slump. "I think we are in good hands and we will leave it to them," Mr McManus said in Limerick yesterday.

Who are "We". He's a tax exile so who's hands is he in ? Gombeens in Limerick treat this guy like a hero because he throws a few quid at the county...just not his income tax.
    The way things have been run around here for the last few years you would think it was JP McManus that had been the Taoiseach!

They say Bertie was fond of the ol GGs mind....

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

one has to wonder just how coloured his opinion is given that the current government and its past itterations since 97 have been most supportive in enabling his wealth creation and tax minimalisation
    Enda Kenny on FF government: “We’re in this mess, not because Fianna Fáil policies have failed, but because they have succeeded.”

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

McManus should put his money into the country that he maintains he loves. If not he should not hold an Irish passport and needs to be treated by Irish people with the respect that he deserves. J.P. will wrap the green flag around him in the coming Cheltenham festival and roar on our rugby team next Saturday. Michael O Leary, to his credit, shows his Irishness with his money. He could also move away and wave his flag from afar. At this time money talks!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by diablo View Post

Have to say I think this story is a miscalculation by the Sindo - obviously the point of it is their usual obsequiousness towards Fianna Fail, as in "notable person says Cowen is the man for the job" - only this time its one of the super-rich, and a tax exile to boot. Now there's a fairly major hatred out there towards those who fit into either of those categories right now, so in many people's minds this story will become "Cowen the hero of the super-rich".

Hardly the intention, I would have thought.
    "So how are things at the Campaign for the Freedom of Information, by the way?" "Sorry, I can't talk about that"

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Simple isn't it? if you're Irish put your money where your mouth is. I'm playing the role of 'begrudger' here, in the 'good times' criticism of cheats like McManus would have you labelled as such. Idiots would queue up to say what a great guy he is and sure didn't he build a new pitch for his gah club?

****************************** Mcmanus and his horses.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hiding behind a poster View Post
    Have to say I think this story is a miscalculation by the Sindo - obviously the point of it is their usual obsequiousness towards Fianna Fail, as in "notable person says Cowen is the man for the job" - only this time its one of the super-rich, and a tax exile to boot. Now there's a fairly major hatred out there towards those who fit into either of those categories right now, so in many people's minds this story will become "Cowen the hero of the super-rich".

The indo are really struggling to do populism in times of recession.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hiding behind a poster View Post

Tax Exiles, whatever their nationality are complete cheats and should never be respected or accepted by society. There's a hatred towards these people but it is a warranted hatred. When people go on about the amount he contributed to society they fail to ask the question " what about the amount he didnt contribute through tax's?". In this recission we hear workers going at workers with the usual crap like "those public sector bastards are takin' all me money" and fail to concentrate their energies on crapbags like Mcmanus and Bono who contribute sweet feck all to society.

there was a time when publication of names of those who entered tax settlements with Revenue resulted in boycotts of businesses. those days have gone. it's quite the opposite these days, it seems, and we have to ask ourselves whether double standards operate when our discussions continually target 'tax exiles' but we don't appear too concerned about Irish based earners who defraud the revenue - it's estimated that 30% file incorrect tax returns

surely both deserve our wrath?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by New_Economic_Agenda View Post
    there was a time when publication of names of those who entered tax settlements with Revenue resulted in boycotts of businesses. those days have gone. it's quite the opposite these days, it seems, and we have to ask ourselves whether double standards operate when our discussions continually target 'tax exiles' but we don't appear too concerned about Irish based earners who defraud the revenue - it's estimated that 30% file incorrect tax returns

surely both deserve our wrath?
    Absolutely! NO quater should be given to anyone who steals from the pockets of our citizens.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast