Leave of Absence for Teachers Standing in General Elections
Teachers standing for election in a General Election may be allowed leave of absence, with pay, subject to the following conditions:
Leave of Absence because of membership of An tOireachtas
- The granting of permission by the school board of management.
- The employment of a substitute at the teacher's expense.
- The absence may date only from the date of the candidate's lodgement of her/his nomination papers. This will be a date between the issue of the writ and the last day for receipt of nominations, nine days later.
- Leave with pay is allowable up to and including polling day, but not for the day(s) of the count. Substitute cover not paid by DES.
The following conditions apply to the granting of absence from school duties to a teacher who is elected as a T.D or Senator:
- the teacher will be paid full salary and allowances as a national teacher;
- a fully qualified replacement teacher will be appointed on a temporary basis and paid by the Department, such service will be incremental and pensionable;
- the teacher T.D. or Senator to repay the Department:
- the total of salary and allowances payable to the replacement teacher together with 10% or 11.5% thereof as appropriate superannuation contribution;
- in the case of a principal teacher or other teacher in receipt of special allowance, to repay also the amount of this allowance which would be paid to the deputy principal teacher or the person appointed to the vacated grade post; and
- the Employer’s PRSI contribution, currently 2.35% of gross salary