Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Army shouldering Saints Remains

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Army shouldering Saints Remains

Yesterday in the Irish Times the was a photo (apologies I cannot find the link) of members of the defences forces shouldering the remains on St. Therese of Lisieux into a church in Wexford.

My question is why are the defence forces involved in this catholic church ceremony and should the army not be seen to be secular?

Duth Ealla

Quote Originally Posted by FrankSpeaks View Post
    Yesterday in the Irish Times the was a photo (apologies I cannot find the link) of members of the defences forces shouldering the remains on St. Therese of Lisieux.

My question is why are the defence forces involved in this catholic church ceremony and should the army not be seen to be secular?
    no why should it not be involved. This is country with a overwhelming RC majority and as long as they dont get involved in pushing religion as part of their own agenda then its not a problem.

And I say this as someone who cant stand the church, but even I dont have a problem with the army involved in this.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FrankSpeaks View Post
    Yesterday in the Irish Times the was a photo (apologies I cannot find the link) of members of the defences forces shouldering the remains on St. Therese of Lisieux into a church in Wexford.

Like any good Catholic Bird - she needed protection and a chaperone - you have obviously never been to Wexford - especially on a Saturday night.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What would her remains be doing in Wexford? Presumably she was buried in Lisieux some time ago. That carryon is rather creepy imo; let the dead rest.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

While not that widely known, the Army do undertake a number of religious activities, including an annual pilgrimage by the cadets to Lourdes. For the duration of the relics visit to the country, there will be a dedicated military liaison and the Army will be assisting at a number of the locations hosting the remains.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Army are use to carrying Dead weight, look at Willie O Dea.

Can other church, mosques etc have the army involved.
    And if the soldier are involved as individuals, why are thay wearing there uniforms?
    Last edited by COMMIE; 3rd March 2009 at 01:31 PM.
    Time for the Irish Goverment to do the honorable thing and go. If thay have any honour left.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I wonder do the Church pay for the use of the Army in the same way banks, GAA etc pay for their services?
    Knowledge is power.

Economic Left/Right: -0.25
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.97

In 2009
    Economic Left/Right: -2.12
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.26

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I too think this is weird. What's a dead person doing a lap of honour of Ireland for ? This relics stuff is right out of the dark ages. And it certainly makes it look like a Catholic army for a Catholic people.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Do the army do stuff for the the C.o.I? Other churches?

Oh well I suppose it's better than shooting people.
    If there is a future, it will be Green.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If it only does it for Catholics/Christian is this not agianst equility legislation?
    Time for the Irish Goverment to do the honorable thing and go. If thay have any honour left.

Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... LastLast