Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Dr James Reilly, an asset or liabilty to F.G.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Dr James Reilly, an asset or liabilty to F.G.

Am I the only one who thinks Dr James O Reilly is an emotional p.c. populist with about as clear a political philosophy as the impressionable, chameleon, Bertie Ahern. I really can't take him seriously and see him as a loose canon but without any of that redeeming non contrived sincerity or independence of mind of other famous F.G mavericks, such as John Deasy, Brendan McGahon, the non p.c and mercurial Michael Ring; and the late great John Kelly (RIP). I think Dr R may prove an embarrassment to F.G. regardless of his latest 'stunt' over the HPV vaccine.
    Last edited by west'sawake; 3rd March 2009 at 08:54 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

he comes across as quite arrogant too ,irish voters dont like that think noonan vs ahern .

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm not a fan of accountants in finance etc and therefore a doctor in health may simply be good for doctors but in fairness he would hardly be worse than the incumbent. Although labour may want health also.
    He does have the appearance of the brendan grace scary priest in father ted but he is respected rather than liked, trusted rather than one who inspires empathy and many believe he may shift the balance from the administrators to nearer patients. I go with asset.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I find O'Reilly to be part of the terrible trio - Varadkar, & Flanagan being the others

These 3 pride themselves on knee jerk responses and lack of reflection

FG can't be taken seriously with them

cYp
    "Yawn , am I alive yet ?"

[youtube]<object classid="clsid27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/s...rsion=6,0,40,0" width="416" height="234" id="mbox_player_1193d2b71d11ed9a"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="movie" value="http://www.motionbox.com/external/hd...11ed9a"><embed name="mbox_player_1193d2b71d11ed9a" allowScriptAccess="always" src="http://www.motionbox.com/external/hd...93d2b71d11ed9a" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="Adobe - Adobe Flash Player" width="416" height="234" allowFullscreen="true"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Video: Father Ted; Father Fintan Stack (Brendan Grace)

I'd prefer to be stuck in a lift with this fellow than the good doctor.
    Liquidate labour, liquidate stocks, liquidate the farmers, liquidate real estate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Question R24U View Post
    I'm not a fan of accountants in finance etc and therefore a doctor in health may simply be good for doctors but in fairness he would hardly be worse than the incumbent. Although labour may want health also.
    He does have the appearance of the brendan grace scary priest in father ted but he is respected rather than liked, trusted rather than one who inspires empathy and many believe he may shift the balance from the administrators to nearer patients. I go with asset.
    QR24U

Fair enough, and thanks for the Brendan Grace- Father Ted bit, I knew he reminded me of someone in caricature mould, and you hit the nail on the head, and made me laugh out loud. I don't know though if I can respect his brand of populism because I think a lot of our present troubles are due to the worst kind of populism and consenus politics ever as well as occasional media driven frenzies. That's probably why I baulk at Dr Jim a bit, he plays to the gallery as when he attacked a natural fertility care doctor, a true professional and decent man, who has had great success with alternatives to IVF, but who gives priority to married couples. This is probably an entirely subjective reaction I know, but there it is.
    Last edited by west'sawake; 3rd March 2009 at 02:53 AM.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cyberianpan View Post
    I find O'Reilly to be part of the terrible trio - Varadkar, & Flanagan being the others

These 3 pride themselves on knee jerk responses and lack of reflection

FG can't be taken seriously with them

cYp
    Stick Hayes in there too.
    Happiness is a dry martini and a good woman … or a bad woman.
    –George Burns

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CookieMonster View Post
    Stick Hayes in there too.
    OK so the "Terrible Trio" are now upgraded to the "Querulous Quartet"

cYp
    "Yawn , am I alive yet ?"

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm from O'Reilly's consituency and, though I'd be tempted to vote FG just now, I'd be less likely to vote for him in particular. Didn't he get rather compromised in his whole approach to the medical card cuts a while back - being both the shadow health spokesman & some sort of doctors' lobby figurehead, simultaneously?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nils View Post
    I'm from O'Reilly's consituency and, though I'd be tempted to vote FG just now, I'd be less likely to vote for him in particular. Didn't he get rather compromised in his whole approach to the medical card cuts a while back - being both the shadow health spokesman & some sort of doctors' lobby figurehead, simultaneously?
    To be fair to the man, I don't think he has held both jobs simultaneously, the latter IMO job had ended, I think, I could be wrong.

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast