Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: How does your TD vote?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default How does your TD vote?

Just out of divilment, and after a conversation with an English friend who couldn't believe the way TDs voted wasn't a major part of their 'record' as it is in the UK - do any of you know how your TDs vote in the Dáil? More saliently, do any of you care?

[EDIT]Just to clarify for He3, this is about Dáil voting records, since TDs vote in referendums only as private citizens.[/EDIT]
    Never let the best be the enemy of the good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Most of them say they voted Yes.

[Edit: now that the OP has been changed to refer only to Dáil votes, my answer here has been elided]
    Last edited by He3; 2nd March 2009 at 11:20 PM.
    "It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Off course. The government TDs voted for their proposals and the opposition voted against it.
    Every one sees what you appear to be, few really know what you are, and those few dare not oppose themselves to the opinion of the many, who have the majesty of the state to defend them.

- Niccolò Machiavelli

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobert View Post
    Off course. The government TDs voted for their proposals and the opposition voted against it.
    Exactly so. Does this not bother people at all? Would it not worry someone who voted for, say, Chris Andrews, that Chris is 'resolutely opposed' to the Ringsend incinerator, but will, of course, vote for it when it is presented by the government?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thumbs up

Yes this has always bothered me.

Would be great to have a site like Project Vote Smart - American Government, Elections, Candidates and Voting for Ireland

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well no, because there is no need for it. We know how the vote by virtue of knowing where in the room they sit.

Ideally what we need is a review of the parliamentary system. Or, to save some time, just make voting anonymous. I imagine we'd see quite a difference in voting patterns were it so.
    Every one sees what you appear to be, few really know what you are, and those few dare not oppose themselves to the opinion of the many, who have the majesty of the state to defend them.

- Niccolò Machiavelli

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobert View Post
    Well no, because there is no need for it. We know how the vote by virtue of knowing where in the room they sit.

Ideally what we need is a review of the parliamentary system. Or, to save some time, just make voting anonymous. I imagine we'd see quite a difference in voting patterns were it so.
    That's true, but it defeats the purpose.

If TD's vote anonymously then how do you think we can make judgements based on their voting history?

It makes no sense.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hazlitt View Post
    Yes this has always bothered me.

Would be great to have a site like Project Vote Smart - American Government, Elections, Candidates and Voting for Ireland
    Oh, I can get you TDs voting records, and put them up online. Takes a bit of work, but I've done it before, so I already have them up to 2006.

It's only that, as Bobert says, there's no point. We know how they vote by where they sit. Why is that acceptable?
    Last edited by ibis; 2nd March 2009 at 11:35 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by oracularspectacular View Post
    That's true, but it defeats the purpose.

If TD's vote anonymously then how do you think we can make judgements based on their voting history?

It makes no sense.
    Touché good sir...

Looks like it's back to redrawing the Constitution then.

- Niccolò Machiavelli

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ibis View Post
    Exactly so. Does this not bother people at all? Would it not worry someone who voted for, say, Chris Andrews, that Chris is 'resolutely opposed' to the Ringsend incinerator, but will, of course, vote for it when it is presented by the government?
    not if a letter from Chris is enough to secure a medical card for Granny (that she was entitled to in any case)

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast