Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 561 123451151101501 ... LastLast

Thread: 62% favour Gay Marriage

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default 62% favour Gay Marriage

A poll undertaken by Lansdowne Market Research on behalf of MarriageEquality between October 15th and 30th, 2008 has shown that 62% of the 1000 interviewed would favour gay marriage.

A breakdown of the results shows that support is strongest among younger people and in urban areas. Women were more supportive at 68 per cent compared to 56 per cent of men.
    There was slightly less support for same-sex couples being given the right to adopt. A total of 58 per cent of those under 50 believe same-sex couples should be able to adopt, falling to 33 per cent among the over-50s.
    A total of 54 per cent believe the definition of the family unit in the Constitution should be changed to include same-sex families.
    Gráinne Healy, co-chair of MarriagEquality, said the findings supported the group’s calls for the Government to recognise that equality includes the human and civil rights of lesbian women and gay men to marry.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...241892986.html

In my opinion, this is a welcome development for furthering civil rights for all of society.
    Every one sees what you appear to be, few really know what you are, and those few dare not oppose themselves to the opinion of the many, who have the majesty of the state to defend them.

- Niccolò Machiavelli

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Nothing like an aul garriage/abortion debate in the middle of a political crisis.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Not a big fan of gay marriage then?

Personally I'm with Bobert on this one. I also think there should be no marriage laws. A huge chunk of the problem stems from the State's monopolisation of the definition of marriage.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sure ,why not. Two consenting adults should be free to declare their love for each in matrimony.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

not that there is anything wrong with that:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GMZjkNW5b8"]YouTube - Seinfeld- Jerry and George[/ame]

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

On those figures it still would not pass. Only 52% want a married gay couple to be able to adopt. Not of all those will vote. The 48% will be more motivated and they would ensure it would not pass.
    Why was the poll only published now if the numbers were taken last october?
    I thought this group said that a referendum was not required - as those their legal advisor in the piece - so why mix it up with referendum figures?
    If peter thatchel can be appeased with civil partnership, why is this group against it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 20000miles View Post
    Not a big fan of gay marriage then?

Personally I'm with Bobert on this one. I also think there should be no marriage laws. A huge chunk of the problem stems from the State's monopolisation of the definition of marriage.
    I'm inclined to agree. What the poll shows is that there is no consensus in the state on a definition of marriage. Throw in the growing Muslim community who have another definition again and it's clear that the best thing the state can do is step back and treat every individual on an equal basis irrespective of marital or other status.
    Last edited by TradCat; 27th February 2009 at 11:11 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Question R24U View Post
    On those figures it still would not pass. Only 52% want a married gay couple to be able to adopt. Not of all those will vote. The 48% will be more motivated and they would ensure it would not pass.
    Why was the poll only published now if the numbers were taken last october?
    I thought this group said that a referendum was not required - as those their legal advisor in the piece - so why mix it up with referendum figures?
    If peter thatchel can be appeased with civil partnership, why is this group against it?
    You hit the nail on the head - 'appeasement'; not the granting of equal rights and status in society, just throw them enough to make them shut up and go away...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

For FFS why aren't they happy with a civil union with the same legal protections as a married couple? Why do they have to insist on calling it marriage (they don't have the "equipment" for it to be a true marriage).
    And IMO they should not be allowed adopt children.
    I tell ya they won't be happy until they're allowed have pig sex parties on the beach in the open and gay wedding extravaganzas in the RDS.
    Bloody hell! PC gone mad!
    Last edited by rhonda15; 27th February 2009 at 11:40 AM.
    "The individual is handicapped by coming face to face with a conspiracy so monstrous he cannot believe it exists.'' ~ J. Edgar Hoover http://tiny.cc/b2jo9

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TradCat View Post
    the best thing the state can do is step back and treat every individual on an equal basis irrespective of marital or other status.

Spot on.

+1
    Voters don't decide issues, they decide who will decide issues.

George Will

Page 1 of 561 123451151101501 ... LastLast