Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What the hell was Labhras O'Murchu on about this morning on "Pat Kenny's Show?"

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default What the hell was Labhras O'Murchu on about this morning on "Pat Kenny's Show?"

I was driving this morning, flicked over to "Today with Pat Kenny" and heard some extraordinary comments from Labhras O' Murchu Ard Stiurtheoir of Comhaltas. Basically Olivia Mitchell was on the show complaining about the lack of transparency surrounding Comhaltas funding, that she couldn't get a copy of the Accounts, the Minister wouldn't oblige, etc. O'Murchu stated that he was on the same Committee as her, met her daily and would have gladly taken her to his office and showed the Accounts if she asked.

Anyway, it wasn't so much this but what O'Murchu said as a general comment that completely threw me

Here's the link to the podcast page, the conversation involving Mitchell and O'Murchu is there as a podcast for download and this comment by O'Murchu starts at about 5mins 30 secs into it;

RTÉ - Today with Pat Kenny

This is what he said going on about "this" being part of a much bigger picture ... "I've had sight of a document in the last couple of days .. it says it was delivered by the Revenue Internet Email Service .... and it went to a number of people including a Senior Civil Servant and Political Press Officer and they were warned not to say a word about Deputy Mitchell's Statement in case the blame found its way back to their door"

O'Murchu also said he knows what the basis of this is.

Mitchell and Kenny both seemed to be quite taken aback by these comments. It wasn't elaborated on any further by O'Murchu.

What in the hell was he on about? It is quite bizarre how this came out all of a sudden on Kenny's Show.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yeah, I heard that alright but hadn't a clue what he was on about. Very cloak and dagger, worthy of the X-files methinks!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kazza View Post
    Yeah, I heard that alright but hadn't a clue what he was on about. Very cloak and dagger, worthy of the X-files methinks!
    Yep, a most strange thing to come out with I'm thinking .... whether of course there's anything to it or not or how significant it is, is another thing

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Olive Mitchell did not explain what her point was,she said she could not get her hands on the accounts and he said they were available at their annual meeting every year.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by turdsl View Post
    Olive Mitchell did not explain what her point was,she said she could not get her hands on the accounts and he said they were available at their annual meeting every year.
    Aha but whats the "bigger picture" he's on about, followed by those extraordinary comments he made live on air?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So has there been any more about this today since the Kenny Show? I'm guessing not but just wondering if anyone has any updates

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by turdsl View Post
    not how i heard it. i understood from what i heard that the annual report is passed by the annual conference, but that they won't show the figures to anyone outside of that?

also, it seemed that the last 'bizarre' point made by labhras was an effort to deflect from the actual point. anyway, just how i picked it up. have a feeling this isn't the last we have heard of this one..

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by caminoed View Post
    not how i heard it. i understood from what i heard that the annual report is passed by the annual conference, but that they won't show the figures to anyone outside of that?

also, it seemed that the last 'bizarre' point made by labhras was an effort to deflect from the actual point. anyway, just how i picked it up. have a feeling this isn't the last we have heard of this one..
    I think he said that the media were "welcome" to (attend?) or did he mean report on? the annual conference ...

and yeah it might not be the last we hear about this .... depending of course on what the hell it is in the first place ... from his comments if no more is heard about it then that would make certain individuals rather happy indeed .... what exactly "it" is god knows

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Question

Accounts for what year? Surely even a non-profit company has to submit returns or at least declare its accounts.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Thac0man View Post
    Accounts for what year? Surely even a non-profit company has to submit returns or at least declare its accounts.
    I assume Mitchell wanted sight of the most recent Accounts - that would seem sensible.

And according to O'Murchu, CCE has had Auditors for its 57 years and Accounts, etc etc.

A quick Companies Reg Office Search shows no Company known as "Comhaltas " etc. It could be registered as "Mickey Mouse Housing Ltd" as a Company (ltd by Guarantee?) but perhaps it's not reg as a Company in the first place. But it does show this;

Type
    Business Name
    Number 194567
    Name
    COMHALTAS CEOLTOIRI EIREANN
    Address
    CEARNOG BELGRAVE,
    BAILE NA MANACH,
    CO. BHIALE ATHA CLIATH

Registered
    22/12/2000
    Status
    Normal

Of course CCE has to have Accounts maintained in a proper manner and compiled annually. O'Murhcu said they did maintain proper Accounts. Mitchell's problem appears to be not having access to them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast