Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Pat Rabbitte in Anti-Immigration Mode on Morning Ireland

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Pat Rabbitte in Anti-Immigration Mode on Morning Ireland

Did anyone hear Pat Rabbitte on Morning Ireland this morning as I could not believe my ears when he as good as proposed that Ireland should introduce restrictions on immigration from the accession states due to the displacement it is producing in certain sectors, he named the construction, hospitality and meat processing sectors specifically. He cited the Irish Ferries saga, as well as soundings from around the country, as having led to him making this call.

Could people respond just to confirm that I was not still dreaming when I heard this!! I have not heard anything on later news bulletins.

Finally, those of us on who have been making these points on this website, and vilified for expressing them, have support from the mainstream for our views, and from the left to boot. Miracles do happen!

I once started a thread on this site as to whether there was room for an anti-immigation party in Ireland. Are the Labour now seeking to garner this vote. What do Labour Party members think? Check out Morning Ireland on the RTE site if you do not believe me.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Does not suprise me. He is just repeating what I heard Jack O Connor also said on this issue. Over the last few years I was finding it hard to make my mind up between SF and Labour and chose SF. Am glad I did now as Rabitte is just power hungary and Labour are all over the place on so many issues its embarrassing.

Politics.ie Member FutureTaoiseach's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes I heard it so I think while I am not leftwing I would vote for them now provided they don't reverse this stance. I am a bit annoyed that Rabbitte wouldn't really give a str8 answer to the question on whether he had decided yet to call for such restrictions - instead he said it should be considered. It's good that he mentioned the Services Directive though which would allow companies to pay below they minimum-wage if they are registered in Eastern Europe, and the fact that we have fewer labour-inspectors that counties.

Labour should make FG dropping its support for the Services Directive in its current form a precondition for Coalition with them. FG's MEPs are voting for the S.D. .

Politics.ie Newbie
    London (aka Lisbon Treaty/PD demise émigré)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So as soon as you realised we weren't the anti-immigration party in Ireland you dropped us like we were hot FT?

Damn we're at 3.999999% in the polls now
    "I thought that I had a duty to help those that weren't as lucky as me." -- John Hume

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FutureTaoiseach
    Yes I heard it so I think while I am not leftwing I would vote for them now provided they don't reverse this stance. I am a bit annoyed that Rabbitte wouldn't really give a str8 answer to the question on whether he had decided yet to call for such restrictions - instead he said it should be considered. It's good that he mentioned the Services Directive though which would allow companies to pay below they minimum-wage if they are registered in Eastern Europe, and the fact that we have fewer labour-inspectors that counties.

Labour should make FG dropping its support for the Services Directive in its current form a precondition for Coalition with them. FG's MEPs are voting for the S.D. .
    FT, I meant to get on to you regarding your voting intentions for the next election as you previously stated that you were going to maybe vote PD because you perceived them as being strongest on the immigration issue. I think this is very misguided as I feel that irrespective of Mc Dowells perceived strength on asylum seekers, the PD's are in fact the most pro-immigration party in Ireland. It is their IBEC/ISME/small business supporters and members are the most in favour of a plentyful cheap labour supply to keep a lid on and reduce pay and conditions as well as a stick with which to beat the unions. The PD's are Ireland's most pro-immigration party not because of any principalled or altruistic/idealistic reasons as the left would say but rather for pure economic and exploitative reasons.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kerrynorth
    FT, I meant to get on to you regarding your voting intentions for the next election as you previously stated that you were going to maybe vote PD because you perceived them as being strongest on the immigration issue. I think this is very misguided as I feel that irrespective of Mc Dowells perceived strength on asylum seekers, the PD's are in fact the most pro-immigration party in Ireland. It is their IBEC/ISME/small business supporters and members are the most in favour of a plentyful cheap labour supply to keep a lid on and reduce pay and conditions as well as a stick with which to beat the unions. The PD's are Ireland's most pro-immigration party not because of any principalled or altruistic/idealistic reasons as the left would say but rather for pure economic and exploitative reasons.
    Spot on, kerrynorth.

I might also add that while MacDowell gets a lot of flak for deportations and for stating that 90% of asylum-seekers are bogus, given that only of couple of hundred failed refugees are deported yearly (out of about 42,000), you have to question his sincerity.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by martan
    Spot on, kerrynorth.

I might also add that while MacDowell gets a lot of flak for deportations and for stating that 90% of asylum-seekers are bogus, given that only of couple of hundred failed refugees are deported yearly (out of about 42,000), you have to question his sincerity.

The actual figures for last year were in I think last Sunday's Trib. There were c. 4300 applications (down 9% on 2004); c.380 deportations; just over 200 were returned to other EU states (obviously had made previous applications elsewhere); and, c.300 voluntary repatriations (chose to go themselves when they realised the jig was up). I think these figures are correct. Still a bad return when you consider that 90%+ are bogus applications.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Deise Man
    Does not suprise me. He is just repeating what I heard Jack O Connor also said on this issue. Over the last few years I was finding it hard to make my mind up between SF and Labour and chose SF. Am glad I did now as Rabitte is just power hungary and Labour are all over the place on so many issues its embarrassing.
    It could have a very interesting knock-on effect on Brian O'Shea's re-election chances in Waterford.

Regards...jmcc
    Regards...jmcc

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jmcc
    Quote Originally Posted by The Deise Man
    It could have a very interesting knock-on effect on Brian O'Shea's re-election chances in Waterford.

Regards...jmcc
    what 1 vote? from the deise man?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by martan
    Spot on, kerrynorth.

Surely you cannot support his preferred way of 'dealing' with immigration? I.e, going to the airport and sending them all home.
    "John Bull has got his hand down your pants and his fist around your bollox and you can't see it."

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast