Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Return To The Land -"The Good Life"

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Return To The Land -"The Good Life"

With the economy in tatters and no hope of a revival in the next 10 years.
    The real prospect of 500,000 unemployed within the next 18 months.
    More and more people needing assistance from social welfare to fund their basic needs and those of their families.

Iceland faces a different but in many ways similar prospect:

Iceland: downfall of 'a foolish little nation' - Telegraph

"Inflation soared as import prices rose, hitting the many mortgages in Iceland that are index-linked. Repayments went through the roof and the overheated housing market collapsed. Unemployment soared towards 10 per cent. The construction industry seized up. Now, lifeless cranes dominate the skyline of Reykjavik, monuments to hubris.

The banks had done something else besides lending money they did not have. Thousands of Icelanders had been persuaded to swap bank deposits for what were effectively stakes in the banks themselves. For them, the banking collapse threatened personal ruin. "Many people who live in beautiful houses and drive beautiful cars are completely broke," says political commentator Egill Helgason. "None of it can be sold, they have lost their jobs. People look wealthy, but worry about the next meal."

Iceland's fall from grace has been swift. In 2005, it was ranked in the top 10 in the world in terms of GDP per head, and between 1996 and 2006 its economy grew by 50 per cent. It has routinely figured near the top of the human development index, which combines economic and social measures. Now, interest rates are 18 per cent and inflation 20 per cent; and each man, woman and child could owe as much as $250,000 to foreign creditors.

Tear gas had been used in Iceland only twice before last month – in 1949, during protests against Iceland's membership of Nato, and in 1959, when a dance in a remote fishing town in the north turned into a riot.

Icelanders are not given to public demonstrations, but last month a mob pelted eggs at the car of the prime minister, Geir Haarde. Out came the tear gas and out went Haarde's Right-leaning coalition government. "

Is it time that we take a look at the idea of people growing more of their own food. Obviously this is not practical in highly urbanised areas. But then again how practical is it to live in a highly urbanised commuterbelt area when there is no work to commute to anymore.

Instead of subsidies to banks & developers, should the government be looking at subsidies to unemployed people who would lease a few acres with a polytunnel, mini tractor and a chicken coop?

Would any of you facing long term unemployment soon consider "The Good Life" in any way viable?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

many mortgages in Iceland that are index-linked.
    Ouch!

Thousands of Icelanders had been persuaded to swap bank deposits for what were effectively stakes in the banks themselves.
    Ouch!

They make us look prudent.

As for the good life I'll give it a go if I can have Felicity Kendal to share my tractor.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Will be digging my vegatable patch in the back garden on Saturday, and planting next month. Still haven't been able to convince the other half that we should get a pig, but might get a few chickens.. detached bungalow on 1/3 of an acre by the way

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

My parents still own a substantial farm which they farm on a part time basis. I have absolutely no debt and if I lost my job I'd immediately pack my stuff and go home and help on the farm. If I'm honest I have little or no stake in the health of the Irish economy.
    *************, *********, ********, **** <3 USA

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cHeal View Post
    My parents still own a substantial farm which they farm on a part time basis. I have absolutely no debt and if I lost my job I'd immediately pack my stuff and go home and help on the farm. If I'm honest I have little or no stake in the health of the Irish economy.
    I highly doubt your parent's farm is self sufficient.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wysiwyg View Post
    Will be digging my vegatable patch in the back garden on Saturday, and planting next month. Still haven't been able to convince the other half that we should get a pig, but might get a few chickens.. detached bungalow on 1/3 of an acre by the way
    You can do a lot with 1/3 acre, I have experience with a similar area but the pig... might take some good marketing alright.
    My thoughts on it on a national level are this.
    Unemployment and the building bust have hit every part of the country to a greater or lesser extent.
    If lets say we have a national unemployment level of 15-20% which is an almost given by anyones calculation, bar a miracle or enormous find of natural resources.
    We are importing practically all of our foodstuffs which is a big net drain to not only family finances but also the wealth of the nation.
    For a start, these banks which we seem to be bailing out have large tracts of developers land in their control.
    Virtually all of these are within easy reach of urban areas and have zoning for water and sewage and electricity. But as building land they are completely useless and will remain such for maybe another 15 years.
    Can we not request that these lands, monuments to greed & stupidity be turned over to the soon to be unemployed working people & professionals being saddled with this debt as allotments to feed their families in the soon approaching very lean times?
    At least weŽd be getting some payback

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

the return of allotments...now theres a good idea.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have a large raised bed where I've been growing veg based on the "square foot system" for a few years and a small greenhouse for tomatoes and grapes. I have to say my success has not been spectactular. Plenty of salad, courgettes and green beans (the latter two not in the "square foot" raised bed obviously) in the summer months and tomatoes in august / september but not much of anything else. Strawberries are easy to grow anywhere at all, need little attention and look quite decorative in flower and shrub beds. Raspberries are also easy to grow but spread so rapidly they are impractical for a garden unless you can do contant cutting back and digging up of roots. I'd be interested in hearing what veg others find easy to grow in decent numbers without back breaking work.

In addition I had a couple of hens and the eggs were delicious. I might get some again but they destroy a garden and I don't like keeping them cooped up. Also I couldn't kill one for food myself. Maybe take them somewhere to get it done but I wouldn't save any money that way. On second thought I don't think I could even do that. I make goats yogurt and would love a goat but again it would be impossible in a standard garden. There are a couple of magazines in Easons in O' Connell st. dealing with the subject of small holdings and poultry rearing.
    Conservatives seem to believe that the rich will work harder if we give them more, and the poor will work harder if we give them less. E.J. Dionne

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Twin Towers View Post
    the return of allotments...now theres a good idea.
    The "good years" were a time when we thought nothing of buying our groceries in M&S. Prepared Party Food and all that crap.
    The next 5 years will see hunger, unseen for generations in plenty of apparently affluent houses. Nice cars will be off the road for want of food on the table.
    It is inevitable, so why not prepare for it now. WeŽre not short of land and plenty of people wonŽt be short of time on their hands quite soon.
    I canŽt see the sense behind an already broke country importing food unnecessarily when we could be growing it on a small scale local level.
    Tesco, Dunnes & Supervalu might disagree, but they have been robbing us for years.
    Allotments are the way to go!!! ASAP

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by absconded View Post
    You can do a lot with 1/3 acre, I have experience with a similar area but the pig... might take some good marketing alright.
    My thoughts on it on a national level are this.
    Unemployment and the building bust have hit every part of the country to a greater or lesser extent.
    If lets say we have a national unemployment level of 15-20% which is an almost given by anyones calculation, bar a miracle or enormous find of natural resources.
    We are importing practically all of our foodstuffs which is a big net drain to not only family finances but also the wealth of the nation.
    For a start, these banks which we seem to be bailing out have large tracts of developers land in their control.
    Virtually all of these are within easy reach of urban areas and have zoning for water and sewage and electricity. But as building land they are completely useless and will remain such for maybe another 15 years.
    Can we not request that these lands, monuments to greed & stupidity be turned over to the soon to be unemployed working people & professionals being saddled with this debt as allotments to feed their families in the soon approaching very lean times?
    At least weŽd be getting some payback
    That's an interesting idea. Some of those likely to be hit hardest have tiny gardens or none at all. I beleive the waiting list for existing allotments has gone through the roof in the last six months. Not soo feasible for the elderly and disabled or perhaps single parents with tiny children but for others it could work. There would also need to be advisors though. I know from my own experience that newbies don't get a return on the time, equipment and seed/ plant investment 'cos they don't know what they are doing. I still don't - and I have at least 30 gardening books by now. Nothing replaces hands on knowledge and experience.
    Conservatives seem to believe that the rich will work harder if we give them more, and the poor will work harder if we give them less. E.J. Dionne

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast