Follow @PoliticsIE

View Poll Results: Who is/was the greatest leader of Labour Party

Voters
68. You must be logged in to vote on this poll. Please login or register.
  • TOM JOHNSON

7 10.29%
  • TJ O'CONNELL

1 1.47%
  • WILLIAM NORTON

3 4.41%
  • BRENDAN CORISH

8 11.76%
  • FRANK CLUSKEY

13 19.12%
  • MICHAEL O'LEARY

4 5.88%
  • DICK SPRING

22 32.35%
  • RUAIRI QUINN

5 7.35%
  • PAT RABBITTE

5 7.35%
Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Best ever Leader of the Labour Party

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Best ever Leader of the Labour Party

The oldest political party in the country founded in 1912. So, who do you think was the best leader. I'm a Spring man myself. Before some smartarse says it, don't say Michael O'Leary because he defected to Fine Gael.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Where's Larkin? Surely he would be the man? Or for God's sake, Connolly?

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Oh, I'd say it has to be Comrade Spring.... although I did have a sneaking regard for Frank Cluskey.

Regards,

Opus

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CJH
    Where's Larkin? Surely he would be the man? Or for God's sake, Connolly?
    larkin and connolly and william o'brien founded the labour party, but were never actually leaders.

Politics.ie Member rockofcashel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Um couple of points mercyboy.

1. according to the labour partys own website, Labour was founded in 1912 by Larkin, Connolly and William O' Brien. I assume one of these were at the time the leader of the Labour Party so why weren't there names included in the poll ?

2. Sinn Fein was founded in 1905, so by my maths that makes them 7 years older than Labour. Therefore Labour are not, as you described, Irelands oldest political party.

3. Why ask who was the best leader of the Labour party from Corish on ? Surely the question should have been who was the most subservient leader of FG lite ?

4. How can any self-respecting labour party member sit back and watch their party being sacrificed to rehabilitate your nearest political rival i.e. FG.

Before the FG'ers lose the rag here, would you consider a pact with FF that would end up with FF winning an extra 25 seats, while FG would win an extra 5 ? Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that just political suicide, especially when you have an emerging Left-wing rival for votes in Sinn Fein.

Personally to the Labour lads, we're pissing ourselves laughing at the prospect of a Lab/FG pact
    1,197 people agree with me.. how many agree with you ?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

My God this is gonna be like the Presidents thread...

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rockofcashel
    Um couple of points mercyboy.

1. according to the labour partys own website, Labour was founded in 1912 by Larkin, Connolly and William O' Brien. I assume one of these were at the time the leader of the Labour Party so why weren't there names included in the poll ? as i said before, (read my earlier post) those three did found the party, but were not leaders. they sat out a couple of elections. if you go back to labour website, u will see leaders posted, doesn't include them

2. Sinn Fein was founded in 1905, so by my maths that makes them 7 years older than Labour. Therefore Labour are not, as you described, Irelands oldest political party. members of fg and ff would argue with you here. sf split so many times, labour never did

3. Why ask who was the best leader of the Labour party from Corish on ? Surely the question should have been who was the most subservient leader of FG lite ? yeah, yeah, yeah, blah, blah, blah

Personally to the Labour lads, we're pissing ourselves laughing at the prospect of a Lab/FG pact here is where i actually agree with you. u got me.[/b]

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Got to be Quinn, who tried to break away from FG, should off stayed longer.

But Spring is the most effective.

Michael O'leary name should be stricken from Labour History.
    The word 'politics' is derived from the word 'poly', meaning 'many', and the word 'ticks', meaning 'blood sucking parasites

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quinn, the best Lab leader ever? Maybe if you're a die hard FFer, but otherwise surely not.

Spring's most notable triumph was turning the Labour party into the plaything of the Irish Times.

Maybe shouldn't the poll be changed to Greatest Labour Figure? Connolly and Larkin were head and shoulders above the mediocrities that followed them

Politics.ie Member An Gilladaker's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Has to be Enda at this stage

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast