Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Biometric Passports at last

Politics.ie Member FutureTaoiseach's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Biometric Passports at last

http://foreignaffairs.gov.ie/Press_Rele ... 8/1933.htm

At last. Do you support this or not. Roll them on.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's a good idea in principle, but can we trust the government not to cock it up?

One reason for concern would be the security of the chip technology. Some types of embeded chip use RFID and these can be read from a distance even if the passport is in a bag. This could lead to shops being able to ID people as they walk in the door.

Another cause for concern would be this statement:
    The procurement process, which has been advertised in the Official Journal of the EU, will comply with all Government requirements in relation to the validation of a sound business case, good practice procedures for contract and project management and ensuring the achievement of value for money.
    If past record is anything to go by, this means that it will be a late, expensive white elephant with three legs.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Why on earth are these a good idea?
    Never let the best be the enemy of the good.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

They're not. It already is a white elephant, given the E20m cost of the Balbriggan plant plus more for the passports and more again for ballsing up the passport issuing system at Moleworth Street and Cork.
    This only was brought in because our masters in Amerikkka demanded the right to keep records on our citizens if they decide to so much as holiday in the US, even if they hav e no criminal record and no intention of staying in their country.
    Please sign the petition to establish a national day of celebration in honour of the vision of the United Irishmen!
    United Irishmen Day Petition
    Skinflicks blog
    Rep abuse illustrated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JCSkinner
    This only was brought in because our masters in Amerikkka demanded the right to keep records on our citizens if they decide to so much as holiday in the US, even if they hav e no criminal record and no intention of staying in their country.
    Damn those Yankee fools! Paranoia run wild, I tell you. It's not like they've ever been attacked in their own country by foreigners at the cost of thousands of lives. Oh wait...

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I am an EU citizen with no criminal record. If my own government sees no reason to retain this data about me, then why the ************************ does George Bush?
    Please sign the petition to establish a national day of celebration in honour of the vision of the United Irishmen!
    Skinflicks blog
    Rep abuse illustrated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I am an EU citizen with no criminal record. If my own government sees no reason to retain this data about me, then why the ************************ does George Bush?
    That makes no sense. If you have no criminal record, then the fact that you have none implies that you haven't been convicted of a crime. So it's not a case of your government retaining data of you not being convicted, just of doing so when you are convicted. And they do.
    Can you tell us how Bush is doing anything above and beyond what your own government does?

Of course there is the argument that citizens owe a bit of rope to their own governments, but are entitled to draw the line at foreign governments wanting to keep personal information. If you feel that way then don't travel to the United States. That way, it's quite unlikely they'll be accessing or keeping any personal information on you.

However there are a great many Irish citizens who do want to travel to America so naturally the Irish government has done what is necessary to facilitate them, and all at little or no cost to everyone else.

Can I ask: do you really not know why it is that any American administration - and not just this one - might want tougher monitoring over foreigners entering the country?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I know why they want the info. But they're not entitled to it. That's the bottom line.
    You ask about my personal response? Well, as you kindly suggest, I refuse to travel to the United States. This is actually an issue for me, as my better half was born there and half of her family still live there.
    Some of them find my position hard to understand, as it seems, do you.
    But I refuse to live in a Big Brother state (on which note, the UK, already the most CCTV laden country on earth, now intends to film every car, every day), and most certainly have no intention of handing over personal data to a foreign power with current history of torturing the innocent.
    Skinflicks blog
    Rep abuse illustrated

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

But I refuse to live in a Big Brother state (on which note, the UK, already the most CCTV laden country on earth, now intends to film every car, every day), and most certainly have no intention of handing over personal data to a foreign power with current history of torturing the innocent.
    So you'll not be going to the UK any time soon then?

By the way, how can you have a 'current history'?
    "Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative."
    Oscar Wilde

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

History that is ongoing.
    Having been born in the North of Ireland, the UK authorities already have a minimum of data on me.
    Let me reverse this argument, because I'm frankly stunned to see otherwise intelligent people unquestioningly accepting the right of a foreign power to retain significant personal and identificatory data on YOU.
    Is it ok for the US administration to have this data forever? Is it ok if they share it with other countries without your permission?
    Is it ok if they sell it to private companies?
    Where do you lot draw the line in defending your own civil liberties?
    Skinflicks blog
    Rep abuse illustrated

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast